• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Creature you'd most like to avoid on a trail

Creature you'd most like to avoid on a trail

• Bear

Votes: 50 44.2%
  • Moose

Votes: 37 32.7%
  • Mountain Lion (Cougar), Bobcat

Votes: 66 58.4%
  • Rattle Snake

Votes: 31 27.4%
  • Farm Animal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Skunk

Votes: 19 16.8%
  • Wolf

Votes: 11 9.7%
  • Coyote

Votes: 9 8.0%
  • Bugs (mosquitos, ticks, and other tiny nuisance)

Votes: 20 17.7%
  • Other

Votes: 15 13.3%

• Total voters

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I got the impression it was a true standoff inferring the man made no attempt to retrace his steps or avoid the moose. I concur, though, that it might be a difficult prosecution if it comes to that.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
I think there really should be grizzly, polar, and black bear differences.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
If the dog was barking, which it likely was, and the man didn’t back away slowly, it seems like it would provoke the moose.
I would guess the moose felt threatened and felt justified in charging.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Meeting this on the trail could be a nightmare.

upload_2019-4-10_18-41-11.jpeg

chilehed

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I most want to avoid whichever one's about to attack me.

Has anyone mentioned hogs?

SShore

Resident Curmudgeon
Skier
We were hiking yesterday when we came upon a bull moose about 75 yards across a creek from us. He was busy eating willows and didn't seem to pay us much mind. We were in the truck when we saw these too. They were only about 50 yards away and I was very glad we were not on foot when we went by them.
Yoly3scDTNCQgA+lGoNj0A.jpg

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Not sure if it was said yet as I didn't read the thread but I am most scared of crazy people when I am out in the wilderness. Crazy ranchers, crazy hunters, crazy campers, all thinking you being near them and their property warrants a gun being pointed at you. These are the creatures I want to avoid.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Not sure if it was said yet as I didn't read the thread but I am most scared of crazy people when I am out in the wilderness. Crazy ranchers, crazy hunters, crazy campers, all thinking you being near them and their property warrants a gun being pointed at you. These are the creatures I want to avoid.
Sorry this begs the question, if you’re on someone else's property without permission, who is the crazy one?

Remember they don’t know your intentions, be it harmless or not. They may have experienced damages, until proven otherwise you in the same boat as you trespassed.

The crazy non owners, well that’s a different issue.

Last edited:

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Sorry this begs the question, if you’re on someone else's property without permission, who is the crazy one?

Remember they don’t know your intentions, be it harmless or not. They may have experienced damages, until proven otherwise you in the same boat as you trespassed.

The crazy non owners, well that’s a different issue.

I do a lot of off trail hiking. It got to a point where I had to get a GPS that shows property lines. You'd be surprised how many people don't know if they are on their own land or not. Or they try to tell you public lands aren't public.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I do a lot of off trail hiking. It got to a point where I had to get a GPS that shows property lines. You'd be surprised how many people don't know if they are on their own land or not. Or they try to tell you public lands aren't public.
No argument there, however being a land owner, you’d be surprised how many trespass and think its their right.

Two sides of the coin.

BTW in fairness you are a responsible user, I do the same to ensure I stay within our boundries.

Sponsor

Staff online