• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Creature you'd most like to avoid on a trail

Creature you'd most like to avoid on a trail

• Bear

Votes: 50 44.2%
  • Moose

Votes: 37 32.7%
  • Mountain Lion (Cougar), Bobcat

Votes: 66 58.4%
  • Rattle Snake

Votes: 31 27.4%
  • Farm Animal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Skunk

Votes: 19 16.8%
  • Wolf

Votes: 11 9.7%
  • Coyote

Votes: 9 8.0%
  • Bugs (mosquitos, ticks, and other tiny nuisance)

Votes: 20 17.7%
  • Other

Votes: 15 13.3%

• Total voters

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I'm surprised no one voted for farm animal. Last night on my ride with @RachelV

VpGgpdU.jpg

Oh, look some cows! Wow, they're pretty close!

Later on in the ride:

Uhm, guys would you mind mooving? (they were actually not too terrifying, I used to work with cattle in college and they were much more chill than most beef cattle I've dealt with so just kind of stood there while we made our way through).

This was in Marshall Mesa last week. They would NOT move!

Screen Shot 2018-06-13 at 9.50.19 PM.png

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Here is a crazy description of a mountain lion interaction at Sugar Bowl.
Do you like hiking in Sugar Bowl area with your dog? Then please read, and beware.

June 9, 2018

The following is a recount of an incident that occurred June 8th at approximately 10:00am

While doing routine maintenance on the Johnson 2 spa I was startled to hear what sounded like several coyote just up the hill from my location at Johnson 2. I loaded the pump box into the ranger and proceeded slowly down the hill while looking left up the hill. There I seen 5 coyotes all standing at attention and looking to the west. They were separated by 30 to 50 feet. 2 coyotes were standing close to one another. My curiosity got the best of me. I stopped just below the coyotes and turned the motor off. I set and watched them for close to 5 or 6 minutes. They continued to howl. It was bringing goosebumps to my arms, shoulders, back, and hands. It was quit moving.
I decided to leave at that moment and just as I reached up to turn the key I looked up and seen a large mountain lion come running out of the trees and into the open just to the west of the Mt Lincoln lift. The coyotes turned and started to run down the hill. The cat had no problem swiping the rear end of one of the two coyotes that were standing closer together. The coyote went tumbling down the hill and the cat attacked the coyote. It was very dusty at this point. Visibility was low but the blood curdling screams that coyote made were loud and clear. I watched the cat pick up the coyote by the throat and carry it west into the trees. All this took place in a matter of 20 seconds. I was in shock. I could not wrap my mind around what I had just witnessed. I was not alone.
As the realization of what had just occurred to me I was startled to hear a man’s voice 100 feet behind me. It was a man who was working for PG&E. He was marking underground utilities. As he began to walk up the hill in my direction it became quite clear that he had also witnessed the incredible event. His excitement was on a level I had not had the pleasure of seeing in my lifetime. This man was absolutely beside himself. He kept telling me how he was an outdoorsman and had never seen a big cat before. He was so excited he could hardly speak because he would often forget to take a breath. I cannot overstate his incredible excitement. We both agreed the cat was well over 130lbs. It was surprising to both of us how large the cat really was.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
The rangers at Yosemite like to say that even if you've never seen a mountain lion while you're hiking in the mountains, the mountain lion has seen you.

A friend and I went for a night-time walk into town from our hotel near St. Lucia, South Africa once while on a safari tour. The town is right next to the wildlife preserve, which is only sort-of fenced in. They still had the occasional hippo roaming the streets, and a few folks had lost their pets to leopards recently.

So before going out walking, we asked our guide if we needed to do anything to be careful... and he said something like : "If you see a hippo, take pictures. If you see a leopard... well, you won't see a leopard because it will see you first."

Apparently the hippos there are pretty docile out of the water (as long as you don't get too close), because you're not in their territory. And the leopards just avoid people really well - they hadn't had any attacks on anything but pets.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Here is a month old news tory from Sacramento about avoiding rattle snakes.
http://www.kcra.com/article/snakes-are-out-in-norcal-heres-how-to-avoid-a-bite/20646499

@dbostedo I bet that was a fascinating trip.
Some good advice there, especially in the written portion. I've met two people who were bitten by rattlesnakes. One was bitten in her bathroom! Apparently they had a rattlesnake den under their house.

The other person was bit walking up stone steps to a bathroom in a rural park area.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
IMG_4592.JPG
My concern today. You can't really see the swarm of bees in the picture. Usually all that happens is a stray bee might bounce off me as I ride by. I have ended up with a bee in in my helmet before. I wasn't in a safe stopping place so I used my finger to get the bee out as I rode along, and I got stung on the finger.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
View attachment 48035 My concern today. You can't really see the swarm of bees in the picture. Usually all that happens is a stray bee might bounce off me as I ride by. I have ended up with a bee in in my helmet before. I wasn't in a safe stopping place so I used my finger to get the bee out as I rode along, and I got stung on the finger.
I usually get stung a couple of times a year, mostly by yellow jacket wasps while biking. I am not allergic so it has never been life threatening but I imagine it could be to some.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I recommend the book “Don’t get eaten!” on a serious note, geared a little to the western side however is applicable to North America as a whole. Pretty well covers most of the encounters and how to avoid them, more importantly how to get out of them.

On a littler note, animal on the trail, (other) lounge lizard, generally lonely, on the prowl, out of its element extremely dangerous as they can be seductive and un-assuming until they get the claws into you.;)

Don in Morrison

I Ski Better on Retro Day
Skier
My youngest daughter, about 28 at the time, had a face-to-face encounter last fall with a mountain lion. She being the type who won't go down without a fight, started making a lot of noise. The cat decided it didn't want to mess with her and went away. She quickly turned and headed back to her car.

My own encounter with a rattlesnake can be found here: https://www.pugski.com/threads/rattlesnake-avoidance-training.1867/

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
grizzlies are the animal i prefer to avoid in the Rockies but running into a very big monitor (at least 6 foot and tail )while hiking in Thailand was my most startling
had no idea they even existed, knew nothing about them or how to react. watching that long tongue flicking and those big claws as it approached was quite unnerving.

was very happy to discover it was just as wary of me

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Recently there was a good post in the “I need to laugh” thread, but it does hold very true in this post.

Cows!

One thing my parents taught me was in the mountains, watch out for cows, avoid if possible, pass on the high if not. The reason on narrow passes they spook, kick you, push you or fall on you. If not all three.

Cows are stupid and dangerous even though they have no teeth or claws:eek: and therefore under estimated by all with those big brown eyes.

MarkP

Saturday, and Saturday, and Saturday...
Skier

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I never would have thought this would be an issue for me until last Friday. I was riding with my dad in front of me and my sister behind when a large brown dog came flying toward me with no owners in sight. When I first sensed the movement I thought it was a bear cub. He started galloping along side us until we came around a bend and found its owners. If I’d been alone I probably would have had words with the owners.

Weirdly, two people in the last month or so have thought that Loki was a bear. Even when wearing an orange bandana. I have no idea ...

I hate rattles snakes when mountain biking. I notice that when I do see one on the trail that startles me ( sometimes I see then far enough in advance that they don't ), every stick or twig on the trail after that looks like a snake.

I have an involuntary freak out reaction to snakes, so I already think every stick or twig looks like a snake. There are TONS of rattlesnakes in the front range - one was crossing the trail at Picture Rock last week. I stopped to let it pass, hoping it would in fact keeping going and not pause to sun itself on the trail. And was able to warn the oncoming father and young daughter of the danger.

I got involved in a rattlesnake bite victim search and rescue on Green Mountain in Lakewood last year. It’s got me too freaked out to return there and I hear North Table Mountain is bad as well. I think it was Apex that got closed for too many rattlers last year. People on the local FB trail conditions page have taken to calling them Danger Noodles.

Might as well avoid all front range trails in that case, I think. They're everywhere; have been as long as I've been riding. That's one nice thing about high alpine hikes - no snakes!

I won't disagree with you on that one.
I often wonder, if you're skiing or riding somewhere and an animal appears, do you continue on your route or stop and assess? I guess it depends on the animal.

Hm. There's no way I'm faster than any such animal, and some (ie, mountain lions) will definitely chase if you're fleeing from them. So, stop, I guess. Maybe back away after.

I would have voted mountain lions because deep down that is the animal that I really fear the most, mainly because the likelihood of surviving an attack is low and I certainly ride a lot in mountain lion country. The reason I did not choose mountain lions is for the fact that the odds of actually being attacked are extremely unlikely.

The renaissance festival had a big cat display for some reason. They brought out various animals and taught us about them. They had a tiger, but I had no visceral reaction. Then the mountain lion - THAT freaked me out. Same reason, I think - the risk from mountain lions feels very real.

I think we as humans are incredibly bad at overall risk assessment - we stop our kids walking or cycling to school because of (remote )fear of paedophiles and traffic and as a result create more traffic and chances of RTAs, we worry about the extreme: air crashes, terrorists etc but not the more common -drunk drivers, speeding.

I heard some sort of risk expert recently comment that parents will keep their kids from visiting a house with a gun, but no one thinks twice about sending their kids to a pool party. But the chance of a child dying in a pool is faaaaaaaar higher than getting shot.

Lyme is no joke but usually managable if treated quickly. Two immediate family members and two best friends all have had it. One let it fester for a while and is now paying the price.

A friend of mine went undiagnosed for years. She is living with severe, severe consequences.

And another thing missing from this list - mountain goats. I've posted about my dogs' encounter with a mama and her baby. I'm shocked my dogs are still alive - and I wouldn't have blamed the goat if she'd killed them to protect her baby.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Lyme...Been there, done that, got really lucky with treatment, don't want to experience that again.

Had Lymes three times; ticks are thick as ants here. There are other tick borne diseases out there that are worse than Lymes. Been lunged at by a rattler, and chased by a bear; the longer you live, and the more you do, the more chances something undesirable happening to you. I'd rather take my chances in nature than sit in a city apartment growing old and scared of the world out there.

Killer bees and army ants scare me.

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
I have an involuntary freak out reaction to snakes

Me too.

During five years of living in Portland, I never saw a snake there. Travelling down the coast, I stopped at a scenic area and walked toward the water. A small brown snake hurried across the path, centimeters from my shoe. (Ok, it was probably a foot away.) I was so surprised to see a snake, I didn't scream or hyperventilate. Throughout my life, though, I have freaked out at the sight of a snake, even 30 feet away from me.

I have thought about snake gaiters for hiking in rattlesnake country. Maybe something to match a spiked mountain lion collar.

Sponsor

Staff online