• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Creature you'd most like to avoid on a trail

Creature you'd most like to avoid on a trail

• Bear

Votes: 50 44.2%
  • Moose

Votes: 37 32.7%
  • Mountain Lion (Cougar), Bobcat

Votes: 66 58.4%
  • Rattle Snake

Votes: 31 27.4%
  • Farm Animal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Skunk

Votes: 19 16.8%
  • Wolf

Votes: 11 9.7%
  • Coyote

Votes: 9 8.0%
  • Bugs (mosquitos, ticks, and other tiny nuisance)

Votes: 20 17.7%
  • Other

Votes: 15 13.3%

• Total voters

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
I am well known for my snake dance, which looks a lot like an Irish jig. I've done that dance on a viper in Austria, and encountered copperheads and cottonmouths and King snakes and rattlers in the East.

Fortunately, there are no poisonous snakes in the Flathead valley. I've only seen a couple garter snakes in the fifteen years we've been here.

Last edited:
TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
To the point of how Bugs makes the list

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
My husband and a bunch of other people I know got West Nile ... they were all fine. It's like the flu, I think - many people just feel crappy for a while and then go on with their lives. Others ... not so much.

A friend of mine has Lyme and wasn't diagnosed for over a decade. Her ongoing neurological issues are debilitating. She can't work, is in bed many hours a day, a lot of pain, on and on.

kingsalami

Booting up
Skier
40224787_10211689523905770_4886259309110886400_n.jpg

kimmyt

My Rack Is Bigger Than Yours
Skier
Was Mountain Biking with @Monique and @RachelV this past weekend and we encountered a young bull moose on the trail. We all decided to talk loudly as we slowly rode past him (within 3 feet, I'd say) but just as we pulled to even with him he became interested in us and started moving in our direction so we sprinted past. That was scary, as moose generally have no f**ks to give. I once waited 30 minutes at the start of a 14er hike because a family of moose was on the trail and I wasn't about to try and get them to move off of it. So I guess I'd say that behind mountain lion, moose is my runner up for who I don't want to encounter on a trail!

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Was Mountain Biking with @Monique and @RachelV this past weekend and we encountered a young bull moose on the trail. We all decided to talk loudly as we slowly rode past him (within 3 feet, I'd say) but just as we pulled to even with him he became interested in us and started moving in our direction so we sprinted past. That was scary, as moose generally have no f**ks to give. I once waited 30 minutes at the start of a 14er hike because a family of moose was on the trail and I wasn't about to try and get them to move off of it. So I guess I'd say that behind mountain lion, moose is my runner up for who I don't want to encounter on a trail!

OMG, how did I already forget about this?? I was terrified. I generally don't want to see large wildlife within a few hundred feet when I'm on the trail. But ... I think it was more than 3 feet. I would say more like 5-10. I would have lost my shit had we been THAT close.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
@kimmyt Do I also recall you exhorting us to take a picture? NOPE.

kimmyt

My Rack Is Bigger Than Yours
Skier
OMG, how did I already forget about this?? I was terrified. I generally don't want to see large wildlife within a few hundred feet when I'm on the trail. But ... I think it was more than 3 feet. I would say more like 5-10. I would have lost my shit had we been THAT close.

Haha yeah I think probably 5-10 (he was on the side of a car sized dirt road and we were on the other side?) but it sure felt like 3 feet!!

I think I said to take a picture before he started acting interested, and then I was too busy trying to get past him before he chased us lol.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Moose are ok (more or less considering they can be a little territorial, big and can do massive damage). Using that as reference for “ok”, if it’s rutting season you are in trouble as you fall under one of two categories in the moose’s eyes: 1. Competition for a mate, or 2. A mate :eek:.

In either case it’s a definitely a lose lose situation because neither one looks like a good alternative as it is the outcome is a mad extremely horny moose.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester