• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
If pugski ever did a "let's not crush the budget" gathering, Whitefish would be fun! Name a ski town where you can have a nice meal for under $20, and get lunch on the mountain for $10-$15. Not to mention being a fun place to ski.

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
If pugski ever did a "let's not crush the budget" gathering, Whitefish would be fun! Name a ski town where you can have a nice meal for under $20, and get lunch on the mountain for $10-$15. Not to mention being a fun place to ski.

The on-mountain lodging is also some of the cheapest you will find for a resort of it's size. It's amazing how much cheaper it is than many other places of it's size.

TS
Sibhusky

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
I'm pretty sure I'm skiing at Blacktail that day....

The on-mountain lodging is also some of the cheapest you will find for a resort of it's size. It's amazing how much cheaper it is than many other places of it's size.

TS
Sibhusky

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
First observation. You still won't be able to lap Glory Hole, Slingshot, Picture Chutes, Gray's Golf Course, Back Nine, Connie's Coulee, etc. -- all the current "good stuff". The new Hellroaring Peak chair doesn't access any of that terrain, it's on a different face. The relocated Hellroaring chair, 8, will top out at the start of 1000 Turns. It'll allow increased access to Area 51 (Teepee on the map), which will essentially be totally trashed by a new cut run and glading.

Second observation. The triangle around Purgatory will no longer have a lift out. Which essentially removes lift-served access from that section of the acreage. This is counter-balanced by the addition of lift served access to Hellroaring Peak. Whether they change our "3000 acres" to reflect any of this is doubtful. Essentially it's a loss because Hellroaring Peak was climbable, but no one is going to be climbing out of that triangle, it's either really steep and heavily treed or it is walking back up a road to take a lift out that doesn't reach the stuff you just skied. It's not really much of a loss except for Purgatory. Which you might see three people on a week. And those people are from out of town and got suckered. The Hellfire run out was great fun if you didn't leave on a sled. A green level pitch with advanced skiers coming out of the trees, doing stunts on the terrain features, with trees sprinkled down the middle of the run. It was fun and relatively safe until there was traffic on it. Very difficult to get a body out. I'm sure ski patrol is relieved.

TS
Sibhusky

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
A map of the project. It's pulled from a PDF as a screenshot, so unsure how it will survive the transformations between formats PDF>PNG>jpg).

Screenshot_20190502-143823~3_1556829897544.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190502-143823~3.png
    Screenshot_20190502-143823~3.png
    795.1 KB · Views: 2
TS
Sibhusky

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
There's not going to be a third observation. It turns out assessments of soil and aquatic species, etc. put me STRAIGHT TO SLEEP. Suffice it to say they examined a lot of stuff.

milkman

Getting on the lift
Skier
Why won't you be skiing in five years?
(1) Most likely muscular skeletal issues. Hip, Back, Knee pain or MCL, ACL shoulder damage. Some of these could be accident related but more likely would be age related like ARTHRITIS.
(2) Possibly heart -lung related issues. Nothing on the horizon for these but they could strike at any time. It's interesting how many of my mountain friends depart for lower altitudes dues to age related issues with altitude.
(3) Too many friends and family quit skiing. Skiing is a great individual sport. I don't always need company to enjoy a day on the slopes but when my friends move from the mountains to the beach I'll get lonely and eventually skiing will be less fun. Most of my skiing friends are already longer than I. There is a point at which that age difference may become a generational split.

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
So you're anticipating health problems, not dealing with them at the moment.

milkman

Getting on the lift
Skier
So you're anticipating health problems, not dealing with them at the moment.

I've been blessed with good health which somewhat offsets my lack of physical ability. ogsmile Nothing more than the normal aches, pains and loss of muscle mass now. Just recognize things can change quickly once you reach your 70's. I've seen so many friends go from out playing me in golf or out running me on the slopes to major lifestyle changes with one fall or one illness.

How are you and your friends holding up?

PS, I'll second the idea of Pugski visiting Whitefish. A big mountain that a lot of traveling skiers have never visited, and a great town, 12 months of the year.

TS
Sibhusky

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
I've been watching your interaction with amusement, based on:
When I go to be 50, almost 30 years ago, I "hit a wall" in stamina and thought I was all washed up. I ski better today than I did ten years ago, and at that time I was much better than when I thought I was washed up

I thought maybe you might have missed that, @milkman .

But not all of us are in that kind of shape. Certainly I'm not, and I know much of it is my own fault.

======
PS, I'll second the idea of Pugski visiting Whitefish. A big mountain that a lot of traveling skiers have never visited, and a great town, 12 months of the year.

Given we keep breaking records, and there was only one day last year that felt as pleasantly empty as it used to be, the less notice taken, the better. I guess it'll pad my house value when I sell out and move into assisted living. That's the only positive I see.

Sponsor

Staff online