• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Slide of Hans

Getting on the Red Chair
Skier
Map of hellroaring peak,. Area to be developed overr to left looks big on this map, this will make me come back to MT - a combo whitefish and Snowbowl trip for sure, once both are done with thier expansions. hellroaring.jpg

TS
Sibhusky

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
I am so sorry about the migraines, @Sibhusky. Most people don't appreciate how debilitating and life-changing chronic migraine is. A terrible disease. (Are you aware of the new CGRP inhibitor medications?)
Totally aware. $575 each. Don't start working until the third month for the most part. I'm following them, but the barriers to using them are pretty high if you're on Medicare. I'm waiting for a year or so.

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
Looking at the Forest Service map, six of the new trails could be cut today and accessed from Chair 1. Only trails 7 & 8 are accessed by the new Chair 12. As for the Hell Fire run out area that is eliminated, it was always a bit nerve racking but I enjoyed it.

Some of the new cuts will be pretty steep, Connie's and 1000 Turns are facing North which is nice too.

Runs 7 & 8 from Hell Roaring Peak will be very scenic but facing mostly south. Good elevation though.

TS
Sibhusky

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Yes, we were discussing here if the Connie's and Area 51 and the under the chair cuts (2, 3, and 4) would be allowed to mogul up like Marmot and Black Bear or mostly groomed like Heap Steep and No Name.

Map added again for reference:
tmp-cam-53707630.jpg

TS
Sibhusky

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Here's a view of Hellroaring Peak, by the way:

100-0073_IMG.JPG

And a video:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I haven't been here is in 20 years or so. Where were they running the cat skiing out of? IIRC it was below Hellroaring? Where ever it was, the terrain was great.

TS
Sibhusky

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
I haven't been here is in 20 years or so. Where were they running the cat skiing out of? IIRC it was below Hellroaring? Where ever it was, the terrain was great.
That actually stopped either right before I arrived or the first season. I thought it was the Flower Point area, though. I'll look around for that and get back to you. I think I have an old brochure.

Edit. Found an old Snow Country article from 1995 that says Flower Point: https://books.google.co.in/books?id=JhJMYMoz65oC&pg=PA133&lpg=PA133&dq=snowcat+skiing+"big+mountain"+2000+flower+point&source=bl&ots=I0HUSIORuN&sig=RPuW7nqOJoABLSEHNuKsYbsFhTw&hl=en&sa=X&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q=snowcat skiing "big mountain" 2000 flower point&f=false

Apparently still going in 2003. Once again that's Flower Point: https://books.google.co.in/books?id...tours "big mountain" 2000 Hellroaring&f=false

Last edited:

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
Yup. I remember the snow cats up at flower point during the winter I spent there 94/95. It’s a really easy hike if I remember right. Back then you could do 6 or more runs and not cross another track except for maybe the run out. The best runs though required a hike back up and out Canyon Creek. That walk wasn’t bad either.

I also got to ski fresh, blur bird pow a couple of times on Hellroaring Peak that winter. That was my first winter skiing out of bounds and I was addicted to it right away.

TS
Sibhusky

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Well, now you don't have to hike Flower Point, but there's plenty of tracks. And if you get out of Canyon Creek safely there's a lift to eliminate most of the uphill. (That's where I think three have died in avalanches since I've lived here. Plus a friend broke both legs and went into a tree well there and had to be airlifted out.)

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier
Hi Sibhusky, interesting what they are trying to do. Hope I can make it over this year and ski with you again. Do you know anything about the cat operation just north of you ?

Pretty much done all my bucket list stuff skiing, so amsetting a new one, Skiing of the top of Wardner Peak and Silver in a foot of powder when I am 80 yrs. Slowing down a little but hope to make that one if I still can.

Take cares of yourself. My best Pete

John O

Getting off the lift
Skier
Without being familiar with Whitefish at all, but speaking in a general sense based on what I've seen here in the PNW... cutting down trees will make more people ski that terrain and make the people that used to ski that terrain less happy. This includes going from tight trees to glades, and glades to open runs, etc. But at the end of the day, most ski areas are going to prioritize more clients over fewer. So if cutting down trees makes more people happy, unfortunately it doesn't surprise me to see that happening.

All that said, from the pictures you posted above, count me in the "fewer" camp. Cutting down any of those trees seems like a terrible plan.

Edit: Oh, and I *really* need to get out to Whitefish sometime.

TS
Sibhusky

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Hi Sibhusky, interesting what they are trying to do. Hope I can make it over this year and ski with you again. Do you know anything about the cat operation just north of you ?

Pretty much done all my bucket list stuff skiing, so amsetting a new one, Skiing of the top of Wardner Peak and Silver in a foot of powder when I am 80 yrs. Slowing down a little but hope to make that one if I still can.

Take cares of yourself. My best Pete

I think people have enjoyed it, but I've never gone. It's the same ridgeline, so it's got to be similar. @Fuller will be here again for two months and we're hoping to have @LiquidFeet for a week.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I will be at Whitefish, skiing on the free pass for 70 years olds, possibly a few weeks before the Big Sky Gathering and definitely after the Gathering on my way back to Canada.

TS
Sibhusky

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
When will that be?
@Fuller is here from mid January to mid March. @LiquidFeet hasn't nailed that down quite yet. But it will be during that same period. I'm guessing late January - late February.
@TexasStout will be here late February/early March
@SlowObstacle will be here third week of March.
I feel like @Dorm is coming, but I don't know dates.

Last edited:

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I'm awaiting your dates!

My truck camper ski road trip makes a for snow dependent, very fluid itinerary. So even I don't know the dates until they happen.:D March 4 to??? seems most likely.

Sponsor

Staff online