Featured Changes coming to Whitefish

Discussion in 'Skiing and Industry News' started by Sibhusky, Nov 7, 2018.

1. Sibhusky

Sibhusky Out on the slopes Skier

This THIS is what I've been wanting a long time!

Daily Inter Lake: Whitefish Mountain Resort proposes big changes for Hellroaring Basin.
    https://www.dailyinterlake.com/loca...rt_proposes_big_changes_for_hellroaring_basin

Interestingly, I filled out a resort survey just a few days back and told them I wanted a lift to Hellroaring Peak. It would add more acreage with comparatively little tree cutting. And ta da! It's happening!! Whhoooohooo!

2. noncrazycanuck

noncrazycanuck Getting on the lift Skier

sound great (not sure about grooming more terrain though)

3. Philpug

Philpug Enjoying being back on two skis. Admin Pugski Ski Tester

I would like to get back to Whitefish..it has been over 20 years, far too long.
    sc0071c202.jpg fullsizeoutput_224.jpeg sc007214b5.jpg

pete likes this.
  4. x10003q

x10003q Getting off the lift Skier

You should use your powers more often!ogwink

Jerez, Shawn C. and Sibhusky like this.
  5. Philpug

Philpug Enjoying being back on two skis. Admin Pugski Ski Tester

@Sibhusky, see what happens when you use your powers for good and not evil! ;) Not saying you have...just saying.

6. Lorenzzo

Lorenzzo Snow Skier Skier

Whitefish is such a special place. I'm looking forward to the next time we have a bad year down here so I can go up for another visit.

7. DanoT

DanoT RVer-Skier Skier

Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
    The article says that construction will be June to November for 3 not necessarily consecutive summers. This sounds to me like a long construction period for a chairlift.

Also no cost estimates at this time means it could be quite some time to completion.

8. Thread Starter
    TS
    Sibhusky

One of the things we'll see is runs cut into Area 51. That area is a hit with skiers like my daughter, who don't care how dense the trees are as long as no one else is in them, but for mere mortals like myself, the pitch and density is far too much. Hence the name. (Okay, it's map name is Teepee, but believe me, it's nothing to do with Native American housing). The glading of that area will open up acreage long included in the 3000 claimed, but rarely skied. (Opening Flower Point did that a bit, except we were all in there already.).

Removing the run below Grand Junction (a piece I loved until it became a hit with snowboarders) will greatly reduce the body count. (Yes, I'm talking bodies on stretchers.) That section always had iffy conditions, folks bursting from all sides onto what essentially was like an interstate with its pitch encouraging high speeds, and trees down the middle, perfect for those wanting to get air in the middle of all this. On recent years I had flat out refused to go there on weekends and holidays. Since it was the run out for all the Hellroaring Basin runs, that meant I haven't spent much time on ANY OF THEM lately. In fact I don't think I've hit Glory Hole or Gray's in the last two seasons?

Clearly running a lift to the top of Hellroaring Peak will be like adding a second Big Face. It's already naturally gladed, and many did the hike already, but it was time consuming. It was also considered out of bounds, even though it was within the permit area. (We have open gates here, so it wasn't a huge deal if you didn't get hurt.) The link over to the back side will be interesting. There is some unused permit area there, once again out of bounds, but skied by many. (Playground/Mario World).

I'm sure these won't be high speed lifts, and the realignment of Chair Eight still won't make Connie's lappable, but will certainly spread out bodies. The new lift to Hellroaring will probably be a used lift from some other resort.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
  9. Thread Starter
    TS
    Sibhusky

Yes, there is some question whether I'll still be skiing by then. But it's an incentive, like the free pass, to keep on trying.

10. Thread Starter
    TS
    Sibhusky

11. Big J

Big J Booting up Skier

12. Crank

Crank Out on the slopes Skier

Not having to ski that runout is huge.

13. snowghost

snowghost spknmike Skier

14. Thread Starter
    TS
    Sibhusky

Not happy about this item:

Re-slope three areas (approximately four acres total) in the existing Hell Fire Run wheret he run currently slopes uphill.

I love those looptyloops.

And a run right down Connie's, the Back Nine, Area 51, all my daughter's favorites! This will have a bunch of people upset. I wasn't that happy with the Flower Point Project. I like what they did in one way, but I mourn the loss in other ways. This will be the same. It'll certainly please the visitors, while angering many of the hard core locals.

But I've been thinking for years that this bowl area was incredibly underutilized. This will make the place seem larger by far than it does now. This is pretty huge.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
  15. Nathanvg

Nathanvg Putting on skis Skier

The proposed changes are not doing much for me. The terrain they are adding is pretty small and they are likely removing more than they are adding. It will be much easier to lap the runs but I'm a quality of quantify guy. I think every ski area should have some harder to lap runs so that you have the option to ski good snow conditions days after conditions deteriorate elsewhere on the mountain.

16. focker

focker Getting on the lift Skier

When I skied that area there was almost no one skiing it. Bluebird day with great conditions on a Thursday. Couldn't believe how empty it was.

It will make the area feel bigger since you can actually lap that area now. I wanted to get two runs in down Glory hole when I was there but by the time I got all the way back to the top I decided to ski another line instead. Just took too long.

Sibhusky likes this.
  17. Thread Starter
    TS
    Sibhusky

You still won't be able to lap Glory Hole or Connie's. They are reached from Chair 1. The repositioned Chair 8 will top out below them. The new Chair 12 will not be able to reach them at all.

The "new terrain" of Hellroaring Peak is roughly the equivalent of another Big Face, maybe a bit larger. (New as in lift-served). But glading and putting a run through Area 51 is a fair amout of real estate that is hideously underutilized at the moment. This will "destroy" Connie's.

My daughter is pretty torqued and writing a letter. I doubt I'll still be skiing by the time it would impact me. (I read one article where they were saying five years optimistically.) I'm hoping they'll do the easy piece, the new chair, first.

18. Kneale Brownson

Kneale Brownson Out on the slopes Instructor

Why won't you be skiing in five years?

19. Thread Starter
    TS
    Sibhusky

Getting old. Had a tough time last year. Combo of fitness and migraines. Hope this year is better, but the writing is on the wall. I am tuning my skis for the season. ;-)

20. Jerez

Jerez Out on the slopes Skier

I am so sorry about the migraines, @Sibhusky. Most people don't appreciate how debilitating and life-changing chronic migraine is. A terrible disease. (Are you aware of the new CGRP inhibitor medications?)