• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Bitching about having to go to a country club

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
D

Don't forget to tell the wedding planner to schedule it on a powder day. :D

The wedding planner/seller lady at Northstar is lovely. Gave me to my car service on a day when the chain control guys had been dicks about cable chains on my rental.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Only time I stayed at a country club was on a work trip doing some filming at a NASCAR race in North Carolina. We were unable to get Rusty Wallace for the time we needed him our first and only planned day there and had to extend the trip another day. Everything in Rockingham was sold out but our travel agent found me and my crew rooms at Pinehurst. A younger female member of our crew expressed her discomfort about wearing jeans there... I pointed out a woman in plaid shorts and said something stupid like, "Would you could rather be dressed like her?" There were indeed no jeans allowed in the dining room and all of the males in our crew had to wear loaner jackets for dinner. Fortunately we all had some non denim pants!

Honestly, we were just glad to find a place to eat and crash for the night. What a contrast though from the NASCAR crowd and noise to the genteel Pinehurst atmosphere. Neither was a place where I felt comfortable.

Nancy Hummel

Ski more, talk less.
Instructor
SkiTalk Supporter
A work colleague occasionally invites me to play golf at his country club which has similar rules and dress code. I enjoy it.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Thanks. My first marriage lasted 18 years. The wedding 'party' for that one included a J.P. and two paid witnesses. The second 4. So maybe there's a correlation? :roflmao:

The canoe departure was her idea, IIRC. The ceremony was on the edge of a large pond so it was a natural.

If I ever get married again, it'll be like Jill and Dan's or Phil and Trish's. Doing something we love with friends participating.

I think those are the most fun weddings. My one sister's wedding was very expensive and very traditional and well that was 7 years ago and they are divorced now. Mount Snow every year does the cloud nine nupitals around Valentines day. You get married, renew your vows, whatever at the top of this awesome blue cruiser run nestled among these gorgeous trees and then afterwards ski down it, there's cake, etc. I always thought that would be a fun way to tie the knot.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Go into the gym in short shorts and a backwards Rockies hat and get a smoothie on the Underwood account. No one in their right mind will mess with a lady deadlifting the heavy bar.
And a weight lifting belt, your own chalk and a 6 of PBR tallboys...you know "for after..."

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Yup just go in there like you own the place. Places that are actually high class will treat you properly de rigeur. I was completely blitzed checking into the Waldorf and they gave me a suite just because they wanted to get me out of the lobby.

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
A younger female member of our crew expressed her discomfort about wearing jeans there... I pointed out a woman in plaid shorts and said something stupid like, "Would you could rather be dressed like her?"

The door man is wearing a Hawaiian shirt, light blue pants, and the kind of slippers people wear to the pool. I have feelings. Everyone else is dressed more or less as I'd expect. The place is .. fine? Feels like an older hotel. My window looks out on the roof, pipes and all.

A work colleague occasionally invites me to play golf at his country club which has similar rules and dress code. I enjoy it.

Well, I suspect you already own appropriate clothes and wear them to work, so it's not such a stretch. You probably also don't staying for four days, and you choose to go, and you probably didn't commit to a four day stay before anyone mentioned the dress code. (Technically I did choose to go, sure ...)

I have identified the weights that are available to wimmins. They're pretty adorable.

Ahh. Off to go investigate the Thai place nearby.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Both of my weddings were very low key. The second one was a ton more fun but probably because I was a little older and a little wiser.

What I don't get about weddings, is when acquaintances are invited(not close friends or family) with an expectation to travel, pay for expensive lodging, gift, etc.
I was even invited to a bridal shower for someone who I'd only met face to face a few times and considered a perfectly nice person that I enjoyed spending time with on the occasion or two that I saw her every year or two.
The bridal shower was in NYC, an over night, and the invitation said that, my share of the $$ would only be X amount of dollars if all who were invited showed up, and that would include my expenses as well as the bride's because "we wouldn't want her to have to pay for her own bridal shower, would we?"
This amount of money didn't include my airfare or ground transportation or the possible incidentals that I may encounter outside of the actual lodging and bridal shower activities, none of which I could afford even if I was super close to her, which I was not... AND it did not include the gift, for which there was a registry included.

Up until I got this invitation I had no idea that this kind of thing happened. Maybe I've been living under a rock.

I had no expectations of wedding gifts let alone a bridal shower, but I was overwhelmed by the people closest to us who did extend gifts.
FWIW, we planned our wedding when everyone was already planning on being at the gathering. The only person we urged to come that wasn't going to be there was @Ron who had a wrecked knee, but he is a close personal friend.
Oh, and the dress code included your favorite ski wear.

Don’t get me started on bridal showers, baby showers, and destination bachelor/bachelorette parties.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Ha, I can wear jeans in my clubhouse. It is deemed “mountain casual”
The first time we visited Whitefish, it was over Easter. For Easter dinner we planned to go to the local golf club restaurant and I'd packed a dress and heels and stockings, nice coat, etc. Basically doubling the clothes I needed to bring. The inn owner took one look at us said are you going to a wedding, found out what was going on, and said, you don't have to dress to go there, this is Montana. Jeans are fine. Words to live by. It means I have zip to wear if I leave the area.

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
"I won't go to a wedding that will invite someone like me as a guest"

Any wedding that you are invited to that you cannot be yourself, be it what you want to wear or something else shows to me that it is too presumptuous and there is a bridezilla. I give them 5 years. So, make sure you keep the receipt for the gift.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I'm kinda over weddings. I'm that guy that shows up just as the reception line is ending, shovels dinner in and books it with a quick nod to the bride and groom about 38 seconds before the DJ starts... Oh, and the last wedding I went to my cousin showed up in his Dickie's shorts, flip-flops and a Guns and Roses t-shirt...

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@scott43, you would have loved our wedding. ;)
Others here who happened to be at our wedding will tell you, they drank from a cash bar prior to the wedding, our service was less than 10 minutes, officiated by the Lange Dynastar Rep, we had a toast of champagne and got back to skiing the surprise powder day that ULLR Served up for us.
It was supposed to be on one of our favorite ski slopes but we ended up having it inside because it was dumping!!

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Another great wedding I went to was in Vegas at the little chapel of the west on the boulevard. Short n sweet ceremony and then we all went over to the Mandalay for what was probably the best buffet I'd ever had. This was the "reception". Then we stayed up all night drinking and gambling. Fun, fun, fun.

Sponsor

Staff online