• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Bitching about having to go to a country club

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
If I'd realized all of this, I would have opted to stay at a motel nearby for my cousin's wedding.

Firstly, there is a dress code. You can't wear denim. You can't wear shorts "more than 4 inches above the knee." Who knows what other tomfoolery.

Secondly, their gym situation. I got all excited about how they described the gym on their site - all the free weights you could ever need, etc etc. Weirdly, the wording suggested that there were separate men's and women's gyms. I called to confirm.

Yeah. There are separate gyms. But the women’s gym is closed for renovation. I was assured there were some light weights avaible in ... I cut him off. “What if I want to do deadlifts?” “Excuse me?” “You know, big bar, heavy weight?” “Oh, no, you won’t be able to do that.”

If it weren’t my cousin’s wedding, I would be very tempted to go into the weight room and get kicked out on principle.

People PAY for this horseshit. Incomprehensible.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
OMG not my scene at all. I feel ya. Too late to get out and stay at a motel I take it? OMG the attitude of that guy would have sent me over the edge. I am not sure what to say other than good luck, hope you don't have to stay there for long......

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
If I'd realized all of this, I would have opted to stay at a motel nearby for my cousin's wedding.

Firstly, there is a dress code. You can't wear denim. You can't wear shorts "more than 4 inches above the knee." Who knows what other tomfoolery.

Secondly, their gym situation. I got all excited about how they described the gym on their site - all the free weights you could ever need, etc etc. Weirdly, the wording suggested that there were separate men's and women's gyms. I called to confirm.

Yeah. There are separate gyms. But the women’s gym is closed for renovation. I was assured there were some light weights avaible in ... I cut him off. “What if I want to do deadlifts?” “Excuse me?” “You know, big bar, heavy weight?” “Oh, no, you won’t be able to do that.”

If it weren’t my cousin’s wedding, I would be very tempted to go into the weight room and get kicked out on principle.

People PAY for this horseshit. Incomprehensible.
Is this a golf country course? If so, I would not go to a seafood house and expect a great vegan, vegetaria...or steak on the menu.

If you haven't seen this movie, you should, it is hysterical. Big Trouble.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
A little story..breaking my post rule! So I had the occasion to play a nice course here with 3 fellas..it was a work thing..so one of the fellas wasn't a huge golfer and was wearing jeans. Professional casual, tucked in golf shirt, club said "I'm sorry, he can't play..he's welcome to buy a pair of SLACKS from the pro shop.." So the guy who invited us walks over to the counter and says "Do you know who I am? If he wants to play in jeans..he's playing in jeans. Ask your boss.." And magically he was allowed to play with jeans! Turns out the guy who was taking us out was..connected...in the construction industry..and he didn't like the dress code thing either. So he's on your side... :roflmao:

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
OMG not my scene at all. I feel ya. Too late to get out and stay at a motel I take it? OMG the attitude of that guy would have sent me over the edge. I am not sure what to say other than good luck, hope you don't have to stay there for long......

Charitably, he was just trying to provide me with some option rather than "There are no gym facilities."

I'll be there Thursday through Sunday. I've lost 20 pounds, so my sparse set of wardrobe options is even sparser. Weirdly, this likely means I'll be wearing dresses most of the time. They aren't as sensitive to body changes.

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Charitably, he was just trying to provide me with some option rather than "There are no gym facilities."

I'll be there Thursday through Sunday. I've lost 20 pounds, so my sparse set of wardrobe options is even sparser. Weirdly, this likely means I'll be wearing dresses most of the time. They aren't as sensitive to body changes.

There's probably something in the dress code that requires that anyway . . .ogsmile Hope you brought your pearls!

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier

Fair enough. Congrats on the weight loss. Well, try to have fun. Maybe it won't be so bad.

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Is this a golf country course? If so, I would not go to a seafood house and expect a great vegan, vegetaria...or steak on the menu.

If you haven't seen this movie, you should, it is hysterical. Big Trouble.

Hah. I am dropping so much money on this dang wedding. Not sure I can afford steak! If it weren't a very close family member, this would not be happening.

A little story..breaking my post rule! So I had the occasion to play a nice course here with 3 fellas..it was a work thing..so one of the fellas wasn't a huge golfer and was wearing jeans. Professional casual, tucked in golf shirt, club said "I'm sorry, he can't play..he's welcome to buy a pair of SLACKS from the pro shop.." So the guy who invited us walks over to the counter and says "Do you know who I am? If he wants to play in jeans..he's playing in jeans. Ask your boss.." And magically he was allowed to play with jeans! Turns out the guy who was taking us out was..connected...in the construction industry..and he didn't like the dress code thing either. So he's on your side... :roflmao:

Oh, man.

Like I said, probably lots of dresses. That actually should make packing easier, though I can't find the massive messenger bag I usually use as a "personal item" ... I wonder if I got rid of it at some point, because I rarely fly, and that's my only use case for it.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
There were a few weddings that we thought, $200/plate, $1200 to there, $500 gift, plus plus so there is $2-2,500 easily invested...from both sides, send a $1,000 check and call it a win/win? ;)

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Meh. 'Expensive', 'continuously annoying', 'stiflingly limiting', are all in the definition of wedding, somewhere among 'snoozefest' and 'commodified' 'checklisted'.

It's a week/weekend/day you'll never get back, just tell yourself you're doing it for the cousin and grit through it.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Meh. 'Expensive', 'continuously annoying', 'stiflingly limiting', are all in the definition of wedding, somewhere among 'snoozefest' and 'commodified' 'checklisted'.

It's a week/weekend/day you'll never get back, just tell yourself you're doing it for the cousin and grit through it.

My most recent wedding (where I was also the groom) was at an converted summer camp now wedding/convention center. We had water skiing, softball and slew of other fun activities. Shorts were de rigeur. The wedding ceremony was formal but outside and the bride and groom departed by canoe. People were actually happy to be there, too. Imagine that!

Of course the memories lasted longer than the marriage, but hey, the bride's father got his money's worth that weekend.

Sponsor