• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Bitching about having to go to a country club

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Probably more variety than the T-Bone though.

That's a bit like Quincy's in Leadville. You get to choose the size of your steak and whether or not you (dont') want sour cream and butter. They do have a bar so not everyone drinks iced tea. G&Ts were $1.75 last time I was there and 3 of them will put you on your ass.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Last summer I went to a wedding
G in Utah I did my fancy dress and sandal shopping st Sierra Trading Post

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
My most recent wedding (where I was also the groom) was at an converted summer camp now wedding/convention center. We had water skiing, softball and slew of other fun activities. Shorts were de rigeur. The wedding ceremony was formal but outside and the bride and groom departed by canoe. People were actually happy to be there, too. Imagine that!

Of course the memories lasted longer than the marriage, but hey, the bride's father got his money's worth that weekend.

Sounds like a fabulous wedding. Congrats BTW :). I love the departing by canoe idea.

One of the best weddings I went to was at San Onofre Beach in Southern California. Jill and Dan surfed all day long and got married at sunset. The reception was a catering truck that layed out trays of deliciousness on tables on the sand. Wedding attire for the bridal party was flowery sundresses for the ladies and Hawaiian shirts for the groomsmen. It was a wonderful wedding. Everyone constantly asks them if they can get married again so they can go to that wedding again.

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
There were a few weddings that we thought, $200/plate, $1200 to there, $500 gift, plus plus so there is $2-2,500 easily invested...from both sides, send a $1,000 check and call it a win/win? ;)

Yeah, not quite that bad. $400ish to get there, sharing a car rental with my parents, $100/night, $60ish gift. Still a lot, especially when I consider having to buy my own food. I should have flown Friday rather than Thursday, but at the time I thought I might be participating in a family/group event Thursday night. Since then decided that I would rather have a quiet evening in the hotel room than what amounts to a massive reunion with alcohol.

My most recent wedding (where I was also the groom) was at an converted summer camp now wedding/convention center. We had water skiing, softball and slew of other fun activities. Shorts were de rigeur. The wedding ceremony was formal but outside and the bride and groom departed by canoe. People were actually happy to be there, too. Imagine that!

Of course the memories lasted longer than the marriage, but hey, the bride's father got his money's worth that weekend.

Yeah, my wedding was 13 people - including bride, groom, an infant, and a toddler. Courthouse wedding. Reception at our house with a small catered buffet. The only extravagant part was that his dad wanted to pay for a rehearsal dinner - because of the small number of people, we were able to go to the Flagstaff House. But that was totally his decision and insistence.

Last summer I went to a wedding in Utah I did my fancy dress and sandal shopping st Sierra Trading Post

I'm not buying anything. I have a dress I think will be "fine," and I responded to the emails about clothing - "I plan to be fully clothed for the wedding. Hope that works!" My cousin assured me that this would be fine. I really don't think he and his fiancée are driving the madness.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
I go to a "curling event" every year, sponsored by one of my vendors. The invitation states right on it...NO DENIM. Very snooty west end Toronto curling club. Real fabric towels in the washroom. Just missing the matron. The owner of the company had his wife asked to leave as she was wearing a denim suit. She worked in the fashion industry at the time and it was a very expensive suit. So that has been the rule ever since that luncheon.

It's family. I've lost many long weekends, ski days, days at the cottage because of family shit. You just suck it up and go because.

I bet in the long run, it'll be a fun weekend!!

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Last summer I went to a wedding
G in Utah I did my fancy dress and sandal shopping st Sierra Trading Post

I'm not buying anything. I have a dress I think will be "fine," and I responded to the emails about clothing - "I plan to be fully clothed for the wedding. Hope that works!" My cousin assured me that this would be fine. I really don't think he and his fiancée are driving the madness.
C'mon, didn't you find it a little humorous that I went for my "fancy" dress and sandal shopping at Sierra Trading Post?
Dress by NorthFace. Shoes by Teva.
:roflmao:

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Sounds like a fabulous wedding. Congrats BTW :). I love the departing by canoe idea.

Thanks. My first marriage lasted 18 years. The wedding 'party' for that one included a J.P. and two paid witnesses. The second 4. So maybe there's a correlation? :roflmao:

The canoe departure was her idea, IIRC. The ceremony was on the edge of a large pond so it was a natural.

If I ever get married again, it'll be like Jill and Dan's or Phil and Trish's. Doing something we love with friends participating.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Very snooty west end Toronto curling club

Would that be the High Park Club?
No denim is not that uncommon in Toronto. I belong to a whisky tasting club that meets at the Albany Club, bastion of conservatism, that has no jeans allowed., The RCYC has a stricter code , no denim on the the launch, no collarless shirts, no short shorts (men or women), and jacket and tie for men in the main dining room, The Scarborough Golf Club is no jeans, as is St Georges Golf Club. I'm sure there are more.
It is a pain, but it lends a bit of decorum, and keeps people from looking like total slobs

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
D
If I ever get married again, it'll be like Jill and Dan's or Phil and Trish's. Doing something we love with friends participating.
Don't forget to tell the wedding planner to schedule it on a powder day. :D

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Both of my weddings were very low key. The second one was a ton more fun but probably because I was a little older and a little wiser.

What I don't get about weddings, is when acquaintances are invited(not close friends or family) with an expectation to travel, pay for expensive lodging, gift, etc.
I was even invited to a bridal shower for someone who I'd only met face to face a few times and considered a perfectly nice person that I enjoyed spending time with on the occasion or two that I saw her every year or two.
The bridal shower was in NYC, an over night, and the invitation said that, my share of the $$ would only be X amount of dollars if all who were invited showed up, and that would include my expenses as well as the bride's because "we wouldn't want her to have to pay for her own bridal shower, would we?"
This amount of money didn't include my airfare or ground transportation or the possible incidentals that I may encounter outside of the actual lodging and bridal shower activities, none of which I could afford even if I was super close to her, which I was not... AND it did not include the gift, for which there was a registry included.

Up until I got this invitation I had no idea that this kind of thing happened. Maybe I've been living under a rock.

I had no expectations of wedding gifts let alone a bridal shower, but I was overwhelmed by the people closest to us who did extend gifts.
FWIW, we planned our wedding when everyone was already planning on being at the gathering. The only person we urged to come that wasn't going to be there was @Ron who had a wrecked knee, but he is a close personal friend.
Oh, and the dress code included your favorite ski wear.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
Would that be the High Park Club?
No denim is not that uncommon in Toronto. I belong to a whisky tasting club that meets at the Albany Club, bastion of conservatism, that has no jeans allowed., The RCYC has a stricter code , no denim on the the launch, no collarless shirts, no short shorts (men or women), and jacket and tie for men in the main dining room, The Scarborough Golf Club is no jeans, as is St Georges Golf Club. I'm sure there are more.
It is a pain, but it lends a bit of decorum, and keeps people from looking like total slobs

Further west....Mississauga Road and QEW. How they get away with the Indian chief as their mascot....Mississauga Golf and Country Club. And we're just curling the last Thursday before they have a skating party!!

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
C'mon, didn't you find it a little humorous that I went for my "fancy" dress and sandal shopping at Sierra Trading Post?
Dress by NorthFace. Shoes by Teva.
:roflmao:

Oh, sorry, no, I got it! It's funny! I think I'm one step beyond, even - I haven't bought a stitch for the event.