• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

mikes781

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Ordered my daughters new skis this weekend and am looking at binding options for them. My 11 year old is about 5’5” and around 110 while my 13 year old is 5’7” and about 125. Picked up volkl kamas for the younger one and yumis for her older sister. Both have only been skiing for two years and I’d probably consider them advancing beginners/low level intermediates.

I was originally thinking about attack2 11 or 12 gw but then I looked at my 13s and thought the toe piece might be a little chunky for their skis that are 83/84 under foot. I assume the 11s and 13s are the same size just different construction? Considered Marker Griffons but thought they might be a little much and am concerned that they’d have issues stepping into them given their weight. Right now I’m leaning towards Squires. I though I saw somewhere that they were a little easier getting into. Is that correct? Any other bindings that I should be considering?

Reactions: BC.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
The Squire suffers from the same heel design issues as the Griffons -- just a lighter, crappier construction.

Attack 11/12, Salomon Warden 11, and Look NX all have easier heels to get in than the Squire. If you expect them to grow in size and as skiers -- buying a 12-14DIN binding now will set well from a durability and performance perspective for the next 5-8 years (guessing you're not skiing 100 days a year in NJ).

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Considered Marker Griffons but thought they might be a little much and am concerned that they’d have issues stepping into them given their weight. Right now I’m leaning towards Squires. I though I saw somewhere that they were a little easier getting into. Is that correct?

In my experience, the squires are actually more difficult to step in when compared ti the griffons.

mikes781

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@jmeb and @KingGrump thanks so the squire is off the list. @jmeb the older one is probably done growing or at least slowed down. We’ll see what happens with the youngest. Unfortunately we don’t get a 100 days on the slopes a year... I was happy getting past 20 after missing all of January and the early shutdown.. Missed the Look NSX12... I’ll check it out.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Ordered my daughters new skis this weekend and am looking at binding options for them. My 11 year old is about 5’5” and around 110 while my 13 year old is 5’7” and about 125. Picked up volkl kamas for the younger one and yumis for her older sister. Both have only been skiing for two years and I’d probably consider them advancing beginners/low level intermediates.

I was originally thinking about attack2 11 or 12 gw but then I looked at my 13s and thought the toe piece might be a little chunky for their skis that are 83/84 under foot. I assume the 11s and 13s are the same size just different construction? Considered Marker Griffons but thought they might be a little much and am concerned that they’d have issues stepping into them given their weight. Right now I’m leaning towards Squires. I though I saw somewhere that they were a little easier getting into. Is that correct? Any other bindings that I should be considering?

Nice.....Squires are not hard to step into....that seems to be a “talking point” by Marker hate....my girls have been on Squires since they were 9/10......they never had a problem “anywhere”....it’s a nice binding choice for a tweenager.....especially on some Volkls

Attacks are great too....as are Wardens...as are Pivots......u really can’t go wrong with what you choose.....find a good price around 100.00 and go for it.....your girls will love their new skis/bindings....and if you really want to win “Dad of the Year” award.....get them some GrassSticks poles..w/ @Ron.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Nice.....Squires are not hard to step into....that seems to be a “talking point” by Marker hate....my girls have been on Squires since they were 9/10......they never had a problem “anywhere”....it’s a nice binding choice for a tweenager.....especially on some Volkls

Have you ever set up/adjusted a Marker Squire/Jester/Griff and similarly the other bindings you reference? It is obvious in doing so that they take much more force to step into at the same DIN due to the single cam heel design and the amount of forward pressure the binding design needs to operate correctly.

Whether that amount of extra force required results in real world difficulty in stepping in depends much on the particular situation: a persons weight, the boot in question, whether you're stepping in on hard eastern groomers or unconsolidated snow out west. It is perfectly possible for it to not impact your daughters and truly impact other people.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
A lot of the issues with the Marker 'Royal' family step in problem relates to the sole material of the boot and how much forward pressure there is in the system. I find the softer, grippy soles a bear to put into a well adjusted binding while a twist or two less forward pressure will make it much easier. Lubrication on the binding heel/boot contact point may help. Apart from that sometimes issue for some people, the bindings are pretty functional.

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I wouldn't exactly call us a Marker hater family. In fact I would say we are the opposite. All my skis in the 88/100 range are either griffon or jester. All of my son's non race skis are mounted with jesters. Mamie is a griffon girl. She dislike the attack 13 and totally hates the squire. That is 11 pair of skis with Marker griffon/jester between us.

I still have 2 pairs of squire in the back of the binding shelf. With 10 days each on them. Couldn't give them away.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Have you ever set up/adjusted a Marker Squire/Jester/Griff and similarly the other bindings you reference? It is obvious in doing so that they take much more force to step into at the same DIN due to the single cam heel design and the amount of forward pressure the binding design needs to operate correctly.

Whether that amount of extra force required results in real world difficulty in stepping in depends much on the particular situation: a persons weight, the boot in question, whether you're stepping in on hard eastern groomers or unconsolidated snow out west. It is perfectly possible for it to not impact your daughters and truly impact other people.

Been at a very busy shop as an installer/tech for 10 years....installed hundreds of Markers...and hundreds of Tyrolias/Sollys/Looks.....all of them. They are all good...and serve a purpose for all different customers...I have always had Jesters on my all my Volkls......but also have had Pivot 18’s on Wren108’s.....and will probably put Pivot15’s on some Moments I’ve been eyeing up.....

My recommendation to him for 2 teenage daughters could be a Squire...it would pair nicely with his daughters Volkls.....it has served my daughters well along with 1000s of other customers I have installed.

I’m not forcing my opinion on anybody.......everyone has given OP a lot of good choices.

mikes781

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I appreciate all of the input. I don’t mind spending a little more for better bindings. Stepping up to a 12 DIN does seem to add a little weight but I guess that is the compromise with less plastic/more metal. Don’t think they would notice much of a difference anyway especially with what they are coming from.

I have marker griffons and haven’t had any issues with them and same thing with my warden mnc 13s. Just mounted attack2 13s but haven’t skied them yet. I like the lower stand heights on the attacks but am questioning whether they would be wide on these skis. The Yumas should be delivered tomorrow so I can look for myself. Any thoughts on the Look SPX 12 Duals? They are sitting in my my Corbett’s shopping cart along with most of the ones mentioned above. I have some good input to chew on and start chopping down the list.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I wouldn't exactly call us a Marker hater family. In fact I would say we are the opposite. All my skis in the 88/100 range are either griffon or jester. All of my son's non race skis are mounted with jesters. Mamie is a griffon girl. She dislike the attack 13 and totally hates the squire. That is 11 pair of skis with Marker griffon/jester between us.

I still have 2 pairs of squire in the back of the binding shelf. With 10 days each on them. Couldn't give them away.

KG...having enjoyed your posts/stories over the years...I know you guys have skied your fair share of Markers.....

Agree, I would never recommend the Squire to an adult skier.....man/woman....too many other good choices for adults....in all brands....

Yes,...lol.... no adults would want your Squires.....but, for the OP’s 11-13 year old daughters....it could be a nice choice.

zircon

Out on the slopes
Skier
Thinking of just getting over myself and putting real bindings on my Kastles. Short ski + short BSL seems like the demo track is probably stiffening up a larger portion of the ski than you really want to, and with the prices at Corbetts...

The current bindings on both are Kastle branded Attack2 13 demos. Would replacing with regular Attack2 13s put the new holes far enough from the old ones? ~285 BSL. Or should I be looking at the Griffon or SPX 12 to avoid interference?

chopchop

so many skis, so little time
Skier
Thinking of just getting over myself and putting real bindings on my Kastles. Short ski + short BSL seems like the demo track is probably stiffening up a larger portion of the ski than you really want to, and with the prices at Corbetts...

The current bindings on both are Kastle branded Attack2 13 demos. Would replacing with regular Attack2 13s put the new holes far enough from the old ones? ~285 BSL. Or should I be looking at the Griffon or SPX 12 to avoid interference?

Are you planning on selling the demos? If so please DM me.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
What does it take an extra 30 seconds to get the skis with marker back on after a fall in deep snow? I have griffons and once in a while they seem hard if my leg is a bit tweaked. I must try these easy to click bindings to see what all the fuss is about

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

With a 285BSL. you should be able to use the same rear holes and just put new toe holes.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
What does it take an extra 30 seconds to get the skis with marker back on after a fall in deep snow? I have griffons and once in a while they seem hard if my leg is a bit tweaked. I must try these easy to click bindings to see what all the fuss is about
It is not about the time but the effort..especially in deeper snow when it's light.

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
KG...having enjoyed your posts/stories over the years...I know you guys have skied your fair share of Markers.....

Agree, I would never recommend the Squire to an adult skier.....man/woman....too many other good choices for adults....in all brands....

Yes,...lol.... no adults would want your Squires.....but, for the OP’s 11-13 year old daughters....it could be a nice choice.

I believe Marker updated the heel pivot on the Squire a few year back to facilitate entry. Don't know anyone skiing on recent Squires so can't confirm that improvement.

Sponsor

Staff online