• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This may not count since it wasn't on the mountain....

I'm getting some work done on my boots in the shop when a woman and friend come in to buy woman #1 some new boots. After some time complaining about how the potential candidates "squeeze her feet", she settles on a pair. As soon as she does, her friend rushes over to the ski rack and picks up a pair of skis and says, "look, these match your new boots! You have to buy them!" No idea of what kind of skis they are, whether they're appropriate for her ability or preferred terrain, but they MATCH!

As I leave, they're picking out new bindings based on color.....

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

I'm getting some work done on my boots in the shop when a woman and friend come in to buy woman #1 some new boots. After some time complaining about how the potential candidates "squeeze her feet", she settles on a pair. As soon as she does, her friend rushes over to the ski rack and picks up a pair of skis and says, "look, these match your new boots! You have to buy them!" No idea of what kind of skis they are, whether they're appropriate for her ability or preferred terrain, but they MATCH!

This is better than the lady I saw years ago who was very sad to find out that the boot she'd picked based on color was inappropriate for her foot. It got to the point where the fitter had to tell her that if they sold her that boot, it would not be covered under their standard guarantee - because they knew it was the wrong boot for her foot. She looked so sad that I actually felt a bit sorry for her. Glad the fitter stuck to his guns.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

This is better than the lady I saw years ago who was very sad to find out that the boot she'd picked based on color was inappropriate for her foot. It got to the point where the fitter had to tell her that if they sold her that boot, it would not be covered under their standard guarantee - because they knew it was the wrong boot for her foot. She looked so sad that I actually felt a bit sorry for her. Glad the fitter stuck to his guns.
These stories make me want to start a thread in the Boot Area - Best things heard or seen on a boot bench.
Maybe I can move these over to start that thread?

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
In the lodge at My. Rose:
Kids getting lunch, said something to mom.
Mom: "We did not not drive 4 hours to ski for two hours!"

I couldn't help but snort.

Freaq

Pretends to be local
Skier
More of a visual really but I did hear something at the end.

On A lift at Copper just about at tower 19 where it nearly flattens out when I see a young woman exiting the woods, dragging her snowboard with one hand and tucking what could have been a package of tissues into her pocket with the other hand. Now the trees she was exiting are neither dense nor far from the lift so not really sure what she was doing in there.... anyway when she's done with her pocket she plops her board down on the snow then waits for it to stop moving. In fact, she stood and watched as it slowly slid inch by inch then foot by foot farther and farther away. When it was about six feet down the hill she decided it was time to react but it started to pick up speed and she went to a full on sprint through soft snow. At this point she was right under my chair and gaining on her board. With the flattish bit nearly at an end she did a superman dive, grabbed the tail with one hand but couldn't hold on, the board was at speed and heading towards a much larger island of trees with the owner in hot pursuit.

By the time I skied down to her there were a few guys lending assistance and as I passed I heard her say, "Yeah, I know, I thought it would just stop."

When I saw the scene from the chair next time up there was no sign of drama so I assume the board was found and good times resumed.

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled

I picked my last set of skis and bindings because they were green! '=_

Well, there were additional reasons, but they were secondary.

My boots are green!

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
I buy gear for the accessories.
28061701_1621257021298522_6496178492115288841_o.jpg

Freaq

Pretends to be local
Skier
Skiing Far East at Copper on the right side, close to the trees I get maybe six inches of air over a bump and immediately realized that I must have been about four inches under a small diameter dead branch.

Donk!

I laughed :)

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier

I don't get the issue here. She followed the new gear code to the letter.. "Boots first, then skis"..

Robertito

Getting on the lift
Skier
This past Monday, at Snowmass, riding with a threesome of Kiwis in their early 70's or so (a hair older than me), approaching the upper terminus of the Alpine Springs lift, I ask if everyone's ready to raise the bar. Guy next to me says, "No, we have to wait till very close, the guy at the other end is afraid of heights. And, he is a pilot."

Dead serious.

:eek:

Spring1898

Booting up
Skier
Waiting in line for the lift my friend wasn't paying attention and commits a little too early, shuffles in hesitation, goes for it, mumbles some excuses while getting conked in the rear but flops into the chair. As he lifts away, the attendant turns to me, "You know, he really shouldn't be drinking while he's skiing."

I nod, "I know, it's becoming a problem."

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
This past Monday, at Snowmass, riding with a threesome of Kiwis in their early 70's or so (a hair older than me), approaching the upper terminus of the Alpine Springs lift, I ask if everyone's ready to raise the bar. Guy next to me says, "No, we have to wait till very close, the guy at the other end is afraid of heights. And, he is a pilot."

Dead serious.

:eek:

Fwiw, Eric was a pilot and afraid of heights. :huh:

BMC

Out on the slopes
Skier
Lady walks into a ski tuning store in Japan (Goryu Hakuba).

“I want to get my skis and boots tuned”.

The proprietor doesn’t speak much English and was a touch confused. I speak English though and I was confused too. The shop owners checked what she wanted again, and she said;

“I want my skis tuned, and my boots tuned”.

The owner knew he could tune her skis but had no idea what to do with her boots.

It turns out she actually wanted a binding check and didn’t want her skis or boots tuned at all.

I was in there buying a booster strap which they kindly fitted for me while I waited. The lady saw what was happening and decided she wanted them too. In a private joke the wife owner asked if she wanted the World Cup booster strap? She quickly though pulled out the intermediate one in a matching colour for the boots and I assume that’s what she bought.

Varmintmist

Bear, with furnture.
Skier
I was on the lift with two older guys. The first asks the second if he knows what the three most dangerous words in skiing are. #2 say no, #1 says "Follow me dad" #2 says at his age its more like "Follow me Grandpa"

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Heard at Alta:
@JohnL
The last time I skied Alta was 15 years ago and the mountain has grown.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@AKMINK - Jimmy told me this was groomed
@jimmy - I could have swore that was groomed this morning
@Andy Mink - Ann, I think you're following the wrong guide.

Sponsor

Staff online