• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
I was recently discussing one of the funniest things I ever heard while skiing....

Last season in Jackson, a dude entered a section way too hot and endo'd down a steep and icy section. @Chris Geib @FTM @SBrown @coskigirl and @SkiNurse and I were just coming into the section, Sbrown skied down with others to hopefully find him still breathing..... as we skied over, we called down "Is he OK?", Sbrown responded "yeah, he's just bleeding"

TS
Ron

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Feel free to post up other tasty bits....

Last season on a deep morning around Christmas I shared the gondi with some folks who has southern drawls (that's all I'm saying) and the woman says to her husband, "this is terrible! When are the snow plows gonna come out and get rid of all this powder"

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
OK, here's at true story.
I'm sitting on the lift at Vail with a nice lady from Texas (back in the days when they did midday grooming), and a sign on one of the pylons read "CAUTION SNOW CATS," or something to that effect.
She looked at me with a suprised and somewhat fearful expression and asked, "Are there really snow cats on the mountain!"
I didn't miss a beat.
"Yes Maam, you must have missed the piece last week in the Vail Daily. A Texan was attacked on Born Free and eaten by one on Friday."

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Not on the mountain but when we were at the base of Copper..we were asked "Where's the ski hill at?"

Don in Morrison

I Ski Better on Retro Day
Skier
I was riding up the lift with a buddy and someone biffed it pretty bad down below. The only thing my buddy could think of to say was, "Do you need an ambulance?" Turns out he was ok.

Drahtguy Kevin

Après aficionado
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Another, not so much a heard but a seen. I was on Lenawee Lift at A-Basin with FTM. We saw a knuckle dragger dressed like a rodeo clown hauling anus when he caught his tip and slingshoted face first. First thing he did when he got up was check his teeth. Still chuckle when I go over that area.

Don in Morrison

I Ski Better on Retro Day
Skier
I was with another friend, getting ready to hop onto the T-bar. It was his first ride on a T-bar. I spend 10 minutes in the lift line lecturing him on proper T-bar technique, including the perils of sitting on the T-bar. Tried to tell him that sitting on the T-bar was a guaranteed horrible death, that it was not a survivable event. Since y'all already know how that played out, as he was picking himself up after the crash, I said to him, "I told you not to sit on the bar." Whereupon he replied, in all earnestness, "How did you know?"

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
Getting into Stowe's Goat trail -- one of more (in)famous bump runs in New England -- involves a 50' traverse through the trees past the usual double-black diamond signs, "experts only" signs, etc. Once you're in, you're immediately greeted with rocks, ice and moguls.

At any rate, one time I came in and the previous person had yard sale'd so I helped him collect his gear. I asked him if he was ok and he responded "yeah... I didn't realize there would be moguls".

WTF?

Brad J

Out on the slopes
Skier
I had brought my older cousin to to Alta and we hit a great day with 12"+ of fresh powder, my cousin being a longtime eastern skier at lunch said " this will be good once this gets packed out"

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I was recently discussing one of the funniest things I ever heard while skiing....

Last season in Jackson, a dude entered a section way too hot and endo'd down a steep and icy section. @Chris Geib @FTM @SBrown @coskigirl and @SkiNurse and I were just coming into the section, Sbrown skied down with others to hopefully find him still breathing..... as we skied over, we called down "Is he OK?", Sbrown responded "yeah, he's just bleeding"

For some reason, the girls in my family think bleeding faces are funny. [photoshop cred: Midwest Pete from epic]
image.jpg

Last edited:

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I grew up skiing in PA. My wife grew up skiing Tahoe. On one visit back east we drove past Camelback. I told her that was my ski area. She said it looks more like a golf course. Apparently everything is relative.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
Skiing down Nansen at Tremblant, green beginners long run, came across an adult male having problems getting up after a fall. Helped him up. In his clipped british voice he stated that - real snow is slipperier than the carpet! Duh....And probably colder too!

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Best thing heard on the mountain: BOOM!
Love hearing the avy control in the morning

Yup, my favorite ring tone for my morning alarm in the mountains.
The best part is most patrols are very considerate and usually hold off the start the control work until 7:00 am even though they are up there way earlier.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm riding up Payday, a six pack, with an east coaster who had obviously just gotten into town. He asked me: "So this is a detachable chair?" I said ""Yes." He then asked: "When does it detach?"

Then he looks down at my skinny race skis and asks, with condescension: "So you're just learning?"

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Our son skied for a season as a PG with the Jackson Hole Ski Club. He hit the record snow year there, and they "sadly" had a number of days when their training had to be cancelled at Snow King with all of the fresh snow, and they were "forced" to go ski at the village in the knee deep stuff. He jokes that it nearly ruined his race career, and re-ignited his passion for just letting it rip. He was riding up the big red box one day, and was wearing a JHSC coat. He's always looked older than his age, and a woman next to him presumed that he was a coach, I guess. She asked him if he lived in Jackson. Yes.

Then she asked him: "At what elevation do the deer turn into elk?"

As he tells the story, he didn't miss a beat, and said something like "As closely as they can measure it, at about 6200 feet…." She nodded and thanked him.

We still joke about it all the time. The other classic one he heard in CO was: "Is that the same sun that we have in Texas?"

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Last weekend at Loveland, going up the lift, the topic of the Enforcer came up. Dude-bro next to us says, "Oh yeah, my friend had the proto pair - the only one they made." Me: "Oh, the black one?" Him: "Yeah!" Me: "I'm pretty sure you're wrong, unless your friend's name is Phil and he skis in Tahoe." Dude-bro looked very confused, and wasn't sure how to keep bragging.

Sponsor

Staff online