• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Not on the mountain, but in my office today:

Co-worker: So, how was the skiing?
Me: It was amazing. I had some knee-deep turns on every run.
Co-worker: Isn't that hard to ski, though?
Me: <pause> Well, I guess it depends on your skill level.

albertanskigirl

aka Sabrina
Skier
Overheard this past week. Two boarders walking over to the ski rack.

Boarder 1: Hey bro, did you know you burn calories every time you fart?
Boarder 2: No way, dude. That's awesome. I totally doubled my calorie output on that last run.

And then you hear it..."Pfffffffffff...."

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Conversation between @Chris Geib & @James at Snowmass. James was borrowing a pair of skis from Chris that he had just tuned.

James: Do you have a stone, gummy or something so I can detune the tips a little?
Chris: If you detune MY skis, I'm gonna hit you with them!

(I may have been paraphrasing) :D

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
Its foggy and cold on the mountain . Looking uphill on a run here comes this guy with no shirt.....

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
Its Team Johnson,every weekend.Awesome.
20171221_105429.jpg

Freaq

Pretends to be local
Skier
While skiing, I heard someone on the lift: "Wow, that looks awesome!" He was talking about the snow. He was right.

Chris Geib

cgeib
Skier
Conversation between @Chris Geib & @James at Snowmass. James was borrowing a pair of skis from Chris that he had just tuned.

James: Do you have a stone, gummy or something so I can detune the tips a little?

It is true I often give @James flak about de-tunig the entire ski in that instance.

In full disclosure, they were actually a pair of Bob's demo rec carving skis at the time that were either new or had been base ground and I was planning to try them at that Aspen ESA. Since Bob was letting me try them I offered to tune them, so I tuned them how I would like which was most likely 0/3 or 0/4. What @James actually did was relax the base bevel to likely .5 or .7 Which I still contend is fair to consider as de-tuning the entire ski on a relative basis, though, I am told opinions vary! However, James is in fact an extremely good (some might say: fanatical) tuner, that would not be likely to de-tune in the commonly known fashion...

Rio

Putting on skis
Skier
While riding up the chair at Bridger last weekend we saw a boy around 12 yelling at a girl around 10 who was on the opposite sides of a run. The boy yelled, "Why did you go there?" is a somewhat irked tone. The girl replied, "Because I wanted to ski here." The three of us on the chair, all strangers, agreed that her reply made perfect sense to us.

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Hmm.

So I skied knee deep yesterday, but it was so light and fluffy that my skis were still hitting the - loud - bottom. That's on 113mm skis. That's powder - it's just not bottomless.
Once at Stowe I skied a foot of very light powder (as good as any thing in CO) with the skis sinking to bottom and making loud noise on boilerplate ice underneath.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
another who told me it was really "socked in" at the top when I could SEE the top from the base station
Slightly atmospherically foggy with a 25 chair visibility: "Ugh, I can't see shit!"

You can see a theme going on at this mountain. If you want to brand yourself as a visitor, complain about visibility on a day you can see three chairs or more.

Chris Walker

Ullr Is Lord
Skier
Early season I was riding the lift at Copper with a couple of racer kids on their super-g skis. One was complaining to the other about how hard it was to maneuver around the general public en route to their lane. "Here I am with skis as long as these 50-year-old men," she laments. Fifty year old men are fossils with old-fashioned skis I guess. Oof. Good thing I'm only 49.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
At the last Aspen gathering I got to Aspen a few days early and lucked into some of the most awesome conditions I've ever experienced. It had gone off.

Anyway, I was riding the lift with some random person who is on the phone with his wife / mistress / girlfriend (hey, it's Aspen -- you never know...) and I just hear him say "Honey, what do you mean 'how are the conditions?' IT'S FIFTEEN INCHES ON TOP OF YESTERDAY'S FIFTEEN INCHES".

It was pretty epic. :thumb:

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister

My favorite @Chris Geib line occurred during breakfast one time when he asked our waitress "What's the difference between the pancakes three and the pancakes... two". The waitress gives him this look of "you can not possibly be that stupid" but she did reply "one pancake".

Chris Geib memories. Pancakes and blowing up in Highlands Bowl. I got nothing else.

:cool::duck:

Sponsor

Staff online