• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Monster

Monstrous for some time now. . .
Skier
Who says we can't hear when we are listening to music?

Do you listen to the radio in the car?

I'd say a lot of people who listen to music skiing are using ear buds or headphones that are a lot more isolating than a radio in a car.

New2

Out on the slopes
Skier
'Sorry to run into you, but you were in the way of my rhythm.'

I've certainly had to say that on the dance floor... but yeah, seems wrong on the slopes.

I don't feel comfortable with earbuds/etc. while skiing. But I love it when the ski area's pumping some fun jams... a warm spring day at Snowbasin sticks out, when Needles Lodge was blasting "One Night in Bangkok." Good song to ski to!

When I get into a nice turn rhythm, Shakira's "Hips Don't Lie" always comes to mind.

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
Reggae! The only exception is in the bumps where you need something faster like speed metal...

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
Reggae! The only exception is in the bumps where you need something faster like speed metal...
It is a known truth that the snow gods dream of summer and reward both reggae and calypso with their own special gifts.
see! I knew it !

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
What Mikela said was, "When I ski, it's like a song. I can hear the rhythm in my head."

I am similar. I find a rhythm and that rhythm is set by the hill I am skiing.

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
As noted on my two previous posts on this dated thread, as someone that has ignored newer popular music since the classic rock era faded, I am not at all familiar with most of the music suggested on this thread. When I have listened to some of the provided links, I wonder why someone thought such and such was good to ski by and instead suspect they are responding to the thread as though it is just another favorite music thread in which not a few seem to simply be promoting favorite groups.

Many of those posts are also by those that never mention over the thread if they actually ever listened to whatever while skiing, when, where, and how they do so, or their personal feelings about skiing while listening to music. For instance do you listen to music both riding up and skiing down regardless of terrain? Or do you listen while riding up a lift to get inspired and then turn off your player when skiing down in order to better focus on just the skiing or sometimes on less demanding slopes ie groomed, listen at times while never doing so descending more difficult slopes?

As someone that has occasionally listened to music while skiing over decades, until last winter, I had learned long ago to never mix music with skiing difficult terrain while skiing groomed or powder had no performance issues. For some reason last winter I found I am now able to fall line ski long verticals of bumps while listening to at least some rock music as my mind is now able to separate beat from ski turns.

I am certain I would not ski well listening to speed metal in bumps as the typical beat is much faster than a dancer can move to and rhythm absent, much less ski quick turns to that is always slower than the say foot/leg movement while tap or jazz dancing. Another aspect of songs across many genre's is a varying inconsistent beat that is the result of standard song craft structure. Thus many rock songs start out with a short subdued instrumental intro into a slow intro vocal, build power through multiple verses, choruses, bridges, to a powerful often instrumental finish followed by a vocal close.

However some songs keep a consistent drum beat through most of a song and tend to be faster paced. These 4 familiar rock classics have a consistent driving drum beat throughout the tracks. The beats are not so fast for optimal faster footwork dancing and consistent such I could sync one turn to 2 to 4 beats that I suspect is what my mind is now able to do.

The Rolling Stones - She's So Cold
Heart - If Looks Could Kill
Def Leppard - Another Hit 'N' Run
AC DC - Shoot To Thrill

Last edited:

headybrew

surrender to the flow
Skier
I'll get 11 days off in a row over Christmas by taking 1 vacation day and will be skiing and listening to Christmas trap remixes the whole time;)

https://soundcloud.com/user-725082899/christmas-sleigh-bells-trap-remix

Anytime outside of Christmas break I usually ski without music unless I am by myself then its some other type of electronic music without words.

Carl Kuck

Ambassador of Stoke
Skier
Here's another one, speaking of Pat Metheny…

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Best music to ski to? Whatever you like. But me? I've got the Jonz in my Bonz.

Last edited:
TS
karlo

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
On a very lengthy flight yesterday, I had the opportunity to discover, then to watch and study this, over and over, even frame by frame,

Flying down the hill with carved turns.

Sponsor

Staff online