• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

"Asking for a friend" thread

skibum4ever

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
In NYC there's practically a pizza parlor on every corner. Almost every one of them beats the best pizza restaurant on the west coast IMHO. It's one of the few things I miss about living in New Yawk.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I agree that Krispy Kreme is very overrated. However, I strongly disagree that In and Out is overrated. I have eaten a lot of burgers in my day and consider myself a bit of a burger connoisseur. I have not found a better fast food burger in this country.
I am sorry :nono: but I am not sure they even make the top 10 for me.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
In NYC there's practically a pizza parlor on every corner. Almost every one of them beats the best pizza restaurant on the west coast IMHO. It's one of the few things I miss about living in New Yawk.
I actually found a good pie here. Now a deli....I'd give anything for a good sandwhich...on good bread. Liverwurst, onions, a little mayo on a Keiser roll, heaven.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, Dunkin’ Donuts coffee may be OK, but compared to European coffee....eh, not so much. One of the funniest things I’ve seen was a new Dunkin Donuts in Reykjavik, with a huge line in front, including a BOUNCER at the front door! I wondered how long that shop would last.....several months later, it was out of business. Can’t compete with a coffee house selling homemade pastries and several amazing brews.
DDADDAF0-9A1F-4C67-A40C-3254BA6F21ED.jpeg

Some of the best pizza I had though, was in Iceland’s Westfjords, made by an old Icelander named Guðmundur. He told me he learned to make it in Italy.
96CA3C38-FEB1-4EE0-BAEE-AE8E48F73D2B.jpeg

Here in PA, there’s tons of Italian restaurants, but no good pies.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
There is pizza and there is pizza. To me,a good thin crust New Yawk plain cheese pizza is my reference for "pizza". Don't get me wrong, there are great other pizzas, a good Sicilian is a belly filling treat. We had Drexel Hill Pizza in Broomall that made a great Greek Pizza with feta, spinach and anchovies. I have had many good Margharita pizzas that were very tasty. I love a good fire oven pizza too but it is the thin crust NY pizza that is pizza for me.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
There is pizza and there is pizza. To me,a good thin crust New Yawk plain cheese pizza is my reference for "pizza". Don't get me wrong, there are great other pizzas, a good Sicilian is a belly filling treat. We had Drexel Hill Pizza in Broomall that made a great Greek Pizza with feta, spinach and anchovies. I have had many good Margharita pizzas that were very tasty. I love a good fire oven pizza too but it is the thin crust NY pizza that is pizza for me.
Yes, that NY Thin Crust is my benchmark pizza as well. The town I grew up in had a large Italian population and several great mom and pop pizza shops. The RC Church in town would run a contest for the best pie in town. It was a blind tasting so no one knew what pizza pie came from the different shop. The local pizza shops got bragging rights for a year.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
I agree that Krispy Kreme is very overrated. However, I strongly disagree that In and Out is overrated. I have eaten a lot of burgers in my day and consider myself a bit of a burger connoisseur. I have not found a better fast food burger in this country.
I think Whataburger is better. They are only in southern US though.

I do like In and out. They have a decent basic burger. But you can't compete as best if you don't have bacon or jalapenos on the menu.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Spokane's entry in the Pizza Wars; the Pizza Rita 5 Pounder. There may be a better pie here but this is the champ, it does not fold.
bigpizza2.jpg

Not NY or CHI, pure Spokane. It has made the food challenge show on TV and it rocks. Guaranteed to have something offensive and something you love. They will gladly omit and replace a topping to suit your taste.
Eat it in 30 minutes by yourself and they will: pay you $50, give you another one free, call the ambulance for you.
It is the go to for this household, 4 meals for 2 adults. Thawing some now for lunch.

Gnarvin

Putting on skis
Skier
I am sorry :nono: but I am not sure they even make the top 10 for me.

If you know 10 better fast food burger places, please do share! I love In and Out, but I am not a zealot and I would be happy to try any recommendations. For me, my second favorite fast food burger to In and Out is Whataburger. The other top tier fast food burgers on my list are Culver’s, Five Guys, Shake Shack, Burgerfi. My caveat for ranking In and Out as number one is that the burger I am rating is an Animal Style 3x3.

Also, I would like to hear your pizza recommendation for Reno as I may be out that way in the near future.

As you can tell, I am passionate about food that tastes good but is horrible for me.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
If you know 10 better fast food burger places, please do share! I love In and Out, but I am not a zealot and I would be happy to try any recommendations. For me, my second favorite fast food burger to In and Out is Whataburger. The other top tier fast food burgers on my list are Culver’s, Five Guys, Shake Shack, Burgerfi. My caveat for ranking In and Out as number one is that the burger I am rating is an Animal Style 3x3.

Also, I would like to hear your pizza recommendation for Reno as I may be out that way in the near future.

As you can tell, I am passionate about food that tastes good but is horrible for me.
Congratulations. I've never heard of any of these.

x10003q

Out on the slopes
Skier
Well, Dunkin’ Donuts coffee may be OK, but compared to European coffee....eh, not so much. One of the funniest things I’ve seen was a new Dunkin Donuts in Reykjavik, with a huge line in front, including a BOUNCER at the front door! I wondered how long that shop would last.....several months later, it was out of business. Can’t compete with a coffee house selling homemade pastries and several amazing brews.
View attachment 104930

Some of the best pizza I had though, was in Iceland’s Westfjords, made by an old Icelander named Guðmundur. He told me he learned to make it in Italy.
View attachment 104931
Here in PA, there’s tons of Italian restaurants, but no good pies.
If you are near Pittsburgh - Mineo's Pizza House - Squirrel Hill Location - 2128 Murray Ave, Pitts. You will not be disappointed.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

True New York Pizza in Sparks has the best pie in town.

My faves for eating burgers out....
Steak & Shake
Freddies
Five Guys
and of course...
White Castle.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Spokane's entry in the Pizza Wars; the Pizza Rita 5 Pounder. There may be a better pie here but this is the champ, it does not fold.
View attachment 104943
Not NY or CHI, pure Spokane. It has made the food challenge show on TV and it rocks. Guaranteed to have something offensive and something you love. They will gladly omit and replace a topping to suit your taste.
Eat it in 30 minutes by yourself and they will: pay you $50, give you another one free, call the ambulance for you.
It is the go to for this household, 4 meals for 2 adults. Thawing some now for lunch.
Bah, that's a sandwich. It might be an extremely good sandwich, but it's not a pizza.

mister moose

Instigator
Skier
Best burgers out..... that's an important qualifier, because the best burgers are usually in someone's backyard over charcoal. Or a ski area parking space. And you don't have that pesky "I'm sorry sir, we don't do medium rare, we only do little pink or no pink." Which really doesn't matter what your answer is, because at those places there's never any pink.

Red Robin, good burger coupled with huge assortment of topping choices.
Famous local burger places, like those that claim to be the first steamed burger.
Mom and Pop quality, such as Shady Glen in Manchester, CT. Homemade ice cream too, how can you go wrong?
Burger on toast, like Friendly's does.
Burger at Whetstone Tavern in Brattleboro VT, good burger, side salad, and Hill Farmstead on tap. That's right, on tap. If you don't recognize that name, google "Hill Farmstead beer awards" Don't order the peanut butter burger no matter how good they say it is.
Worthy Burger. If I need to say more, you are not worthy.
Best burger in Killington: Burger and a beer for $9.99 at Mogul's. In the ad, it's a burger and a beer. On the menu, it's just a burger for $9.99. When you ask "What's the difference between the burger and a beer, and the burger on the menu?" They'll tell you, "With the burger and a beer, you get the beer." It's a great burger, cooked the way you ask, Sal doesn't cheap out on his famous special. I kid you not.

Sponsor

Staff online