• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

"Asking for a friend" thread

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
That's so, so wrong. I mean... you've gone beyond anarchist...

View attachment 105008
So is an open-faced roast beef sandwich not a sandwich? Are you going to go against the heartland? You must be from the edge of the country!
https://faithfamilyandbeef.com/2018/11/open-faced-leftover-hot-roast-beef-sandwiches.html

And I'll throw this in just because it keeps popping up in my google ad feed and it ought to haunt the rest of you too....

133540_MAIN._SS125_V1525461607_.jpg

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
My assessment of foods usually comes down to "worth the calories?" or not. And that's from the perspective of someone who has to be mindful of what they eat.
Me too!!!

This thread is now making me hungry!
How about I make you thirsty.
Is noon too early to start drinking on a hot summer day? Asking for a friend ;)
img_4414-jpeg.76014

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
A Calzone is an Italian version of a Pasty (a much loved Yooper delicacy)

Shhhh don't tell Phil I said that. :duck:
A Stromboli is more a Italian Pasty. A calzone is more ricotta (ri-gott) cheese based.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
So all youse guys talking pizza and burgers, let's hear you bellyache about "The Best Mexican Joint"... I want tacos and a beer.
We have a ton here in Reno. The rule of thumb with the best ones is that the quality is directly inverse to the price.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Krispy Kreme is right up there with In and Out. IMHO, The fascination surpasses the reality, they are extremely overated. :duck: :duck: :duck:
Agree. Never cared much for Krispy Kreme. Actually, I prefer a good bagel over any donut. Have only a small sample size of In and Out, just a few visits including one last year in Las Vegas that was terrible, old cold burger. My fav is a loaded Five Guys and their fries are even better.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Agree. Never cared much for Krispy Kreme. Actually, I prefer a good bagel over any donut. Have only a small sample size of In and Out, just a few visits including one last year in Las Vegas that was terrible, old cold burger. My fav is a loaded Five Guys and their fries are even better.
I haven't had a good Five Guys since I moved west, IMHO their quality control has gone down...along with their prices rising. If I am going out for a fast food burger, it will be Steak & Shake...(but the one in Stead, our one in So. Reno has been awful). When we drive to Colorado, we will stop at Freddies in Grand Junction.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
RE: In and Out - I've had their burgers a few times and think they're fine for a fast food burger, but they're just fast food. Mt Rose serves a better burger. :)
Freddies and Steak and Shake are better FF burgers but still, when I crave a burger, I crave a burger from a grill. If its not home made then I do crave a Lucky Beaver Burger from time to time but we never go there.
The ghost pepper sliders on the happy hour menu are really good.
Lucky Beaver Happy Hour food.jpg
Lucky Beaver Happy Hour Cocktails.jpg

This is Cougar Juice.
IMG_1637.jpeg

mister moose

Instigator
Skier
↑↑ Respectable wine list, but horrible beer list. Coors light is bad enough, then add 3 more light beers, and you have to have it in both cans and on tap? What am I going to wash those Ghost Pepper sliders down with?

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
↑↑ Respectable wine list, but horrible beer list. Coors light is bad enough, then add 3 more light beers, and you have to have it in both cans and on tap? What am I going to wash those Ghost Pepper sliders down with?
Horni Beaver, Duh!

Acutally hey have more beer options. You'd be pleased. That's just the quick and dirty happy hour menu.

RobSN

Out on the slopes
Skier
Regarding burgers, I posted this in my Pugcycle trip report about my first few days cycling Route 66:
4/14/18 Saturday: Victorville/Hesperia to Barstow. ... Only 2 further miles outside Victorville was Emma Jean’s Holland Burger Café, which I had read about and seemed mildly famous – so I stopped for a very early lunch and had a junior Holland Burger, which seemed to be hamburger and runny cheese in a toasted sourdough sandwich. Not worthy of being rated as immensely famous in my view. However, it transpired that the waiters and waitresses would do tricks on unsuspecting types (viz. me), and my waitress pointed a tomato ketchup squeeze bottle at me and squeezed: a stream of red shot out at me and I almost fell off the barstool backing up, only to realize that it was actually a bit of bendy red plastic. They got me. (The diner is also famous as the diner into which ‘the Bride’ a/k/a Uma Thurman staggers after escaping from her coffin after being buried alive in Kill Bill 2).
Me, I thought the burger was meh, but it is theoretically famous, so the question has to arise, asking for a friend, has anyone had one of these and thought "Wow!"? [Please note, this is an entirely different question to seeing Uma Thurman and thinking "Wow!"]

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Absolutely asking for a friend.
Hudson's Hamburgers, the same family, serving these same basic hamburgers in this same location nearly uninterrupted since 1907 in Coeur d'Alene, ID. The roof collapsed one year from snow load and they were closed for repairs, but other than that and Holidays they make these burgers and very little else.
This may not be the best burger, but honorable mention is required.
images.jpg
download.jpg

Sticktoitiveness counts!

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
... theoretically famous, so the question has to arise, asking for a friend, has anyone had one of these and thought "Wow!"? [Please note, this is an entirely different question to seeing Uma Thurman and thinking "Wow!"]
Not a burger, but last year we finally ate at one of the Red Iguana Mexican restaurants in Salt Lake City. It's one of those renowned places that always has a big line to get into 24/7/365. Not fancy, but it was as good as advertised.
red-iguana-jpg.69233

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Funny, we've eated at the Red Iquana a couple times and the food was good but not mind blowing. I do have close friends who rave about it and won't leave SLC without hitting RI

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Funny, we've eated at the Red Iquana a couple times and the food was good but not mind blowing. I do have close friends who rave about it and won't leave SLC without hitting RI
Yeah, maybe it was novelty and wouldn't withstand repeat visits? The waitress gave us a plate with samples of about ten different moles that we tasted with chips before our main orders came out. Some were really delicious and that might have been the funnest part of the meal.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Absolutely asking for a friend.
Hudson's Hamburgers, the same family, serving these same basic hamburgers in this same location nearly uninterrupted since 1907 in Coeur d'Alene, ID. The roof collapsed one year from snow load and they were closed for repairs, but other than that and Holidays they make these burgers and very little else.
This may not be the best burger, but honorable mention is required.
View attachment 105025 View attachment 105026
Sticktoitiveness counts!
We had a place like that by us in Folsom (Delco) ...Charlies Hamburgers. Best basic burger I ever had. IIRC, all they had was burgers and milkshakes. Wait...they made my ex wife a grilled cheese...that was cooked in the burger grease...she was a vegetarian at the time and wasn't amused, I did chuckle because there was peices of ground beef in her sandwich.

Sponsor