• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

"Asking for a friend" thread

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Yeah, maybe it was novelty and wouldn't withstand repeat visits? The waitress gave us a plate with samples of about ten different moles that we tasted with chips before our main orders came out. Some were really delicious and that might have been the funnest part of the meal.
I honestly wondered if so many people hyped it that it couldn't possibly live up to the hype. Like I said, it was good food, just didn't blow my mind.

Popeye Cahn

Out on the slopes
Skier
We have a ton here in Reno. The rule of thumb with the best ones is that the quality is directly inverse to the price.
Ha, pretty much.

When in SD a good bet is Roberto's (since there are a number of locations), or some of the other *Berto's (there are dozens of copycats lol), but really any greasy tortilla stand will do, though a trip to TJ and a stop at Tacos El Franc is a must.

But this is the west, half the jokers on this site are east of the Rockies and good Mexican food there is like finding a good pizza in London. Sure the cuisine has made inroads but like these New Yorkers crowing about "Pizza not made in NYC is CRAP!" I'm wary of Mexican food in Vermont or Michigan (not Michoacan...). Comprende?

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Ha, pretty much.

When in SD a good bet is Roberto's (since there are a number of locations), or some of the other *Berto's (there are dozens of copycats lol), but really any greasy tortilla stand will do, though a trip to TJ and a stop at Tacos El Franc is a must.

But this is the west, half the jokers on this site are east of the Rockies and good Mexican food there is like finding a good pizza in London. Sure the cuisine has made inroads but like these New Yorkers crowing about "Pizza not made in NYC is CRAP!" I'm wary of Mexican food in Vermont or Michigan (not Michoacan...). Comprende?
For the most part I would agree with you. But the worst Mexican food I have ever had was in California.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
...half the jokers on this site are east of the Rockies and good Mexican food there is like finding a good pizza in London...

What are you talking about? We have Taco Bell here in the east too!! :duck:

Actually, around DC the Mexican is pretty good... and Salvadoran and Peruvian.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Me too!!!

How about I make you thirsty.
Is noon too early to start drinking on a hot summer day? Asking for a friend ;)
img_4414-jpeg.76014
That is why I use something like this. Coffee in the morning and you never know when I switch from coffee. :)

1593005012247.png

mister moose

Instigator
Skier
burger pizza.jpg

This just showed up in an ad for local pizza -
"Cheese Burger Pizza. Large 16" $16.95 American cheese, russian dressing, onions, pickles, ground beef. "

Looks like pickles on red sauce??? Not something I would order for a friend.

Joby Graham

Getting off the lift
Skier
Ha, pretty much.

One of the best mole poblanos I've had was in a small joint in Bayonne, NJ

Popeye Cahn

Out on the slopes
Skier
One of the best mole poblanos I've had was in a small joint in Bayonne, NJ

And I have had excellent pizza (as well as Italian food) in Southern California. Which was kind of my oblique gripe, this regionalism BS is kind of, well BS. But, maybe some areas excel in general terms more than others with regards to certain cuisines. So sure, you can find excellent pizza on any corner in the 5 boroughs, but Mexican maybe not so much, but you can find it. I think it all comes down to one's upbringing. For instance, I was born and raised in Mpls, so where outside of Sweden are you going to find excellent lutefisk? Oh wait, nowhere, that shit is garbage :roflmao:

For the most part I would agree with you. But the worst Mexican food I have ever had was in California.

You'll have to name names ese... :ogbiggrin: The worst Mexican food I've ever eaten was in Thomasville, GA. That said you can find great BBQ there.

Uncle-A

Skier
And I have had excellent pizza (as well as Italian food) in Southern California. Which was kind of my oblique gripe, this regionalism BS is kind of, well BS. But, maybe some areas excel in general terms more than others with regards to certain cuisines. So sure, you can find excellent pizza on any corner in the 5 boroughs, but Mexican maybe not so much, but you can find it. I think it all comes down to one's upbringing. For instance, I was born and raised in Mpls, so where outside of Sweden are you going to find excellent lutefisk? Oh wait, nowhere, that shit is garbage :roflmao:

You'll have to name names ese... :ogbiggrin: The worst Mexican food I've ever eaten was in Thomasville, GA. That said you can find great BBQ there.
Of any place outside of Mexico you would think should have good Mexican food you have to think of SoCal, but I was wrong. No I will not name names, just like I would not say what ski shop gave me a bad tune-up on my skis. I would just take my business elsewhere.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Mexican food seems to be very hit or miss and extremely transitory (as in we were really good but now aren't). A family place with grandma in the corner making tortillas, or a gas station recently converted into cafe seem like fairly promising indicators. The owners kids playing on the floor or busing tables seems to get bonus points. When the plastic covered menu tassels and pictures it is time to go hunting again. The good mexican places in smaller towns seem to have a better shelf life.

Spent 6 months in Tuscon and hit the food trucks pretty regularly for lunch. Thought it was interesting that the hot sauce of choice at the time was Sriracha Sauce. Coolest trick seen there was a young lady moving between the tables making your pico to order in front of you on a cart.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
View attachment 105090

This just showed up in an ad for local pizza -
"Cheese Burger Pizza. Large 16" $16.95 American cheese, russian dressing, onions, pickles, ground beef. "

Looks like pickles on red sauce??? Not something I would order for a friend.
That's not pizza :nono:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
RE: Mexican Food
Phil and I worked late one night at the ski shop and had to stop at the grocery store on the way home. I decided to snag some wings at Wingstop in the same shopping center but Wing Stop was packed so we tried this tiny mexican restaurant next to it, Tacos el Rey. We took a chance and have never regretted it. I think we spent $10.00, for really good mexican food, and had leftovers to take home. This is our "go to" for mexican.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Mexican food seems to be very hit or miss and extremely transitory (as in we were really good but now aren't). A family place with grandma in the corner making tortillas, or a gas station recently converted into cafe seem like fairly promising indicators. The owners kids playing on the floor or busing tables seems to get bonus points. When the plastic covered menu tassels and pictures it is time to go hunting again. The good mexican places in smaller towns seem to have a better shelf life.

Spent 6 months in Tuscon and hit the food trucks pretty regularly for lunch. Thought it was interesting that the hot sauce of choice at the time was Sriracha Sauce. Coolest trick seen there was a young lady moving between the tables making your pico to order in front of you on a cart.

I have to agree with this. I find two big variables with Mexican takeout can be who is making the food that day and how fresh everything is.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Yes:
Italian Food. The North End of Boston. I thought Philly and New York had good Italian food, the North End smokes them. this includes Mike's for Cannolis.

Look Pivot 15. We asked for it, we got it.

No:
Taylor Ham. a poor substitute for Scrapple.

mister moose

Instigator
Skier
The North End of Boston. I thought Philly and New York had good Italian food, the North End smokes them. this includes Mike's for Cannolis.
The North End is a great place. There's better cannolis than Mike's.

half the jokers on this site are east of the Rockies and good Mexican food there is like finding a good pizza in London. Sure the cuisine has made inroads but ... I'm wary of Mexican food in Vermont

You might need to reel that in a little.

We recently discovered a little place called 3 Stones Mexican Mayan Cochina in Brattleboro. From the outside, the place looks like a double-wide with an addition, and there's no parking lot, park across the street. It doesn't even look like a restaurant. Within 5 minutes of walking through the door, you know this is not what you expected. After reading the menu, you can't decide what to try first. After tasting your food, you know this bears only a distant relationship to the TexMex restaurants of yore, and is even different than the central Mexican restaurants.

"Our mother inspired us to share the ancient Mayan recipes handed down through the centuries. "

Pumpkin seed specialty/ onzicil: The Mayans never waste anything. Even the seeds of pumpkins are toasted, ground and made into delicious delicacies. Served with a salad, rice and beans. An Onzicil tortilla- A tortilla topped with sautéed zucchini and smothered in a tomato-pumpkin seed salsa is served with salad, rice, and beans

Tamales: We wrap our tamales in banana leaves and fill them with a mild but savory achiote sauce and chicken. Tamales are topped with a mild tomato salsa and cheese and served with rice, beans, and salad.

If any of the east of the Rockies Jokers headed to VT find themselves hungry on I-91 give this place a try.

Uncle-A

Skier
No:
Taylor Ham. a poor substitute for Scrapple.
Not a good comparison they are two different things. Do you compare Scrapple to bacon or breakfast sausage? Taylor Ham is only a brand name for pork roll, other brands of pork roll are Case's and Trenton pork roll.

Uncle-A

Skier
RE: Mexican Food
Phil and I worked late one night at the ski shop and had to stop at the grocery store on the way home. I decided to snag some wings at Wingstop in the same shopping center but Wing Stop was packed so we tried this tiny mexican restaurant next to it, Tacos el Rey. We took a chance and have never regretted it. I think we spent $10.00, for really good mexican food, and had leftovers to take home. This is our "go to" for mexican.
It is nice to stumble into a great little place unexpectedly. I have found places like that purely by accident. It just goes to show that good food can be found with out having a recommendation. They are the little mom and pop joints and can be found in the most unusual places.