• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
I’m just being snarky. I’m sure Loveland parking filled today as well.

Yep, in fact a guy I rode the lift with who hit the I-70/470 interchange 20 minutes after me, didn't even get into the main parking lot and was parked at the Valley. I knew I didn't need that shower this morning... ;)

Snowflake2420

I70 is Life
Skier
This may go without saying, but what Al is describing is exactly what I’ve experienced as a season pass holder. Love the transparency.

James

Out There
Instructor
In the comments section people make tbe point that Ikon holders are saving their days for end of season. So April, May could be busy.

Reactions: nay

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor

James

Out There
Instructor
Seeing as there’s a good 3 months left on Abasin’s season, isn’t it a bit early for a wrap up?

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
Seeing as there’s a good 3 months left on Abasin’s season, isn’t it a bit early for a wrap up?
Whose wrapping up? We know what's happened so far. We're (and by we I mean I) pretty sure what will happen the rest of the season and Al is even more sure since he has access to lots of data that I don't. Al will know for sure after the late season and next year and make adjustments if necessary as JH and Aspen did. I'm assuming that Abasins agreement is two years like JH appears to be.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
A bit more info from the Colorado Sun

Awesome info in the article.

:golfclap:

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
On the down-side of the lower skier numbers, I overheard knowledgeable source say the bartenders aren't doing as well as they did in the past. Has anyone noticed old faces missing behind the bar?

Let's hope that the reduction in skier numbers hasn't reduced revenue for the A-Basin ecology to the point where some elements are negatively impacted.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Whose wrapping up? We know what's happened so far. We're (and by we I mean I) pretty sure what will happen the rest of the season and Al is even more sure since he has access to lots of data that I don't. Al will know for sure after the late season and next year and make adjustments if necessary as JH and Aspen did. I'm assuming that Abasins agreement is two years like JH appears to be.

The Sun article says that A-Basin had a net loss in the first 3 months vs. $1.5M net income the same period the year before.

Looking at revenue, they should be amortizing Ikon and season pass revenue across the year, so that isn’t making up for lack of on demand ticket sales (Including Epic days). I think the 3 pack for $179 that they have been pushing heavily has probably accounted for the post MLK turnaround along with some Ikon on mountain spend.

You can’t usually buy those 3-4 day ticket products late into the season like they are doing now, because people can take a wait and and see attitude about buying a season pass or anything at all. The entire point of early season pass sales is to lock in revenue regardless of people showing up.

The product that looks most like this mid-season 3 pack pricing is simply lower window prices, just like Loveland (who cuts off the 4 pack sales in Nov).

If they try this again, it will cannibalize season pass sales just like Ikon is going to do this year.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Interesting blog post by Al.

A bit more info from the Colorado Sun

All good information.
I wonder if Breck staying open later into the season will continue to pull people away, or will some get the A-Basin spring pass?
In the comments section people make tbe point that Ikon holders are saving their days for end of season. So April, May could be busy.
Phil and I haven't used our IKON days yet and will be using them in May, like usual.

James

Out There
Instructor
I'm betting that spring will see a big drop off in visitation due to worries about the coronavirus. Wish it wasn't so, but being realistic. Or morbid. Or both...
Locals will stay away?

Sponsor

Staff online