• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I love it that Al and A Bay have responded to the overcrowding that the last half dozen years have built up to. Hope they get it right.

"Duped" is a pretty strong word. A milder "hopes raised" and "disappointed" might be more accurate, at least for me. We'll see.

Folks can shoot the breeze with Al a lot of the days at A Basin, in my experience, especially first thing in the morning. He is readily accessible, a really cool dude also.
To me, "fine tuning" or "tweaking things" is maybe the better fit for what he's up to, hopefully, possibly. Just guessing, naturally.

Nonetheless, I think a wide range of reactions to this summer's A Bay announcements is a good thing - shows lots of caring and good interest, when it looks like a lot of inevitable change is up ahead, not all of it good. Either way, bull/cowshit is often the very best amendment for the garden, very rich stuff. This is stuff we all care about.

The Ikon base pass 5 total days (restricted) and full pass 7 total days (open) is maybe, hopefully, an "in between" option Al has selected, for now - again, just tweaking things a bit, rather than a caste in stone switch from one frying pan into another. The unlimited Epic gang was a swell bunch, often, but a lot of traffic and weekend/powder day overload also. And we'll see if the possibly at least slightly smaller footprint of Ikon is a happy medium, at least for now.

If it's not, bet Al changes things up again, and stays confidence-inspiring - that would be best. He seems to have lots of options.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I love it that Al and A Bay have responded to the overcrowding that the last half dozen years have built up to. Hope they get it right.

"Duped" is a pretty strong word. A milder "hopes raised" and "disappointed" might be more accurate, at least for me. We'll see.

Folks can shoot the breeze with Al a lot of the days at A Basin, in my experience, especially first thing in the morning. He is readily accessible, a really cool dude also.
To me, "fine tuning" or "tweaking things" is maybe the better fit for what he's up to, hopefully, possibly. Just guessing, naturally.

Nonetheless, I think a wide range of reactions to this summer's A Bay announcements is a good thing - shows lots of caring and good interest, when it looks like a lot of inevitable change is up ahead, not all of it good. Either way, bull/cowshit is often the very best amendment for the garden, very rich stuff. This is stuff we all care about.

The Ikon base pass 5 total days (restricted) and full pass 7 total days (open) is maybe, hopefully, an "in between" option Al has selected, for now - again, just tweaking things a bit, rather than a caste in stone switch from one frying pan into another. The unlimited Epic gang was a swell bunch, often, but a lot of traffic and weekend/powder day overload also. And we'll see if the possibly at least slightly smaller footprint of Ikon is a happy medium, at least for now.

If it's not, bet Al changes things up again, and stays confidence-inspiring - that would be best. He seems to have lots of options.
^^^ This. So much this.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Next week is Season Passholder Appreciation Week. Here is a sampling of the benefits. I think I might get an Airbnb so I don’t have to choose between Wed and Thu. You do NOT get these benefits on Ikon!

0F4C01F9-2E52-4E29-BA70-836563FFDC49.jpeg

James

Out There
Instructor
Next week is Season Passholder Appreciation Week. Here is a sampling of the benefits. I think I might get an Airbnb so I don’t have to choose between Wed and Thu. You do NOT get these benefits on Ikon!

View attachment 87493
Hmmm... looking at flights now. Interested in making snowflakes from old trail maps. At least the hot chocolate is free. And the trail maps.

Unlikely to be as nice as these:
IMG_1003.JPG
Paper snowflakes, part of the Christmas decorations. East Wing of the White House, 2015.

IMG_1007.JPG
There's also one for every state. This is Vermont.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
I’ll be honest that Meet the Beaver was what really caught my eye. I want to see the Beaver turn away Ikon passholders from a beaver selfie, just a straight Heisman stiff arm, while I post mine to the gram. That will make the whole thing worth it.

But now I want to make snowflakes for 2 hours instead of skiing. That would be sweet af if they at least were having free bacon Bloody Mary’s *

*while supplies last

I need to go back and check, but I think Tuesday is We’ll Poke You in the Eye day, from 1:00 - 3:00**

**space limited

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Shouldn't the "Passholder First Tracks" just be like that every day? I mean, Whitetail does that in PA, so surely A-Basin can... right?

Well most of these *benefits* pull passholders off the slopes so the mountain is less crowded for the freebie group, so I’m guessing probably not?:D

This ongoing campaign to never sell another season pass is priceless.:roflmao:

Also: Alterra would never allow that.

Last edited:

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Yeah... now that Whitetail is Epic, I'm wondering if that perk remains.

Even with A-Basin only as a partner mountain, as they promote season passholder benefits, such as 25% off this week on store purchases, they are also careful to mention that Ikon passholders always get 10% off. There’s just no Ikon appreciation week because free days are presumably enough that you don’t have to gift wrap turds for their stockings.

The only real reason for the absurdity of this appreciation week is that they can’t really offer anything because their hands are tied. Like Ikon passholders can’t get their beaver shot?

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You can shoot a beaver in Colorado, but oddly only after trapping it.

Sounds like another beaver will just move in to take the place of the first, so "the real solution is learning to live with them."

"Beaver Problems" from CO Parks and Wildlife:

Reactions: nay

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
And, the free hot chocolate "while supplies last" made me laugh. It's a ski area that will be open for at least the next six months. Are they really going to run out of hot chocolate?

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
In my head: *thinks through many possible responses, and decides it's better not to comment*

CAA1C5FC-6E6F-4380-9177-44354C64A1E5.jpeg

12:32pm. Stalks Al, shows pass, gets free hot chocolate token

2:00pm-2:02pm. Redeems hot chocolate token

2:03pm-3:13pm. Asks Al extensive questions about beavers and upcycling during extended 1:1 Q&A

3:14pm. Al resigns as COO

3:28pm. Alterra completes acquisition of A-Basin giving Ikon passholders unlimited days for the remainder of the 2019/20 season

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
You know when somebody starts dating a new person and acting really strange, and you get really concerned about what is going on with them?

And then you meet the new person and start to figure it out? And it looks something like this?

9483CD86-DB46-485A-A42B-E77E6C374663.jpeg

Sponsor

Staff online