• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Alterra Mountain Company To Acquire Solitude Mountain Resort in Utah

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
As an industry YOU need it. As consumers we might like a little benign neglect and our favourite stashes go unmolested......We don't really need new gear (and most of us here probably have a garage or closet full to use even if a single pair of skis is never pressed again). Just sayin......:)
Well, how many of us "consumers" were bitching about the lack of lift development, the deteriorating maintenance of lifts resulting in greater outages, the lack of terrain expansion, etc.? Look at the capital that is being plowed into the mountains by Vail and Alterra. Sure, it's bringing a lot more people to your favorite places, but if you really want country club ski areas, then you've got to pay the price for them. Like the Yellowstone Club.

So, sure there's pressure on the independents, but they've got to up their game. Figure out how to attract skiers to their resorts. Provide a quality experience. And bring new people into the sport.

Mike

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
And that is more skier days thus more people skiing.

More skier days doesn't equal more people skiing. It equals more skier days.

Eventually the skiers of today will need replacing. It's getting harder and harder for people without significant means to get hooked on the sport due to cost of entry. And the consolidation is not helping that. Though maybe it is bringing in big ticket spenders from around the world -- that's probably good for the industry. But good for the bottom lines of the industry doesn't necessarily mean good for American ski culture more generally.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
As an industry YOU need it. As consumers we might like a little benign neglect and our favourite stashes go unmolested......We don't really need new gear (and most of us here probably have a garage or closet full to use even if a single pair of skis is never pressed again). Just sayin......:)
This is as much a want sport as it is a need sport. The stashes are fewer and farther between now because of technology and the uphill capacity the majority of the skiers want and demand.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Hey don't shoot the messenger I'm just playing devil's advocate. Those of us who don't have an economic stake in the "industry" probably have a whole spectrum of preferences based on our biases, reactionary nature, luxury preferences, self image etc etc. People don't really like change. When it's something near and dear to them like their favourite ski resort even more so - they may bitch and whine about the drafty restroom but they'll bitch and whine more about the spend on some marble and oak remodel that draws in the Bogner crowd.

Me I'm actually somewhere in the middle. The world doesn't end whenever one bunch of capitalists buy out another bunch of capitalists who weren't so loyal to the downhome little vibe they didn't jump at a good offer to cash out. And change always brings some good some bad. Key is not to let the negative vibes get you down maaan!

SShore

Resident Curmudgeon
Skier
Sorry -- I disagree that this is inherently a good way to get more skiers. It's a great way to keep skiers skiing.

The consolidation of the industry has made it even harder for independent resorts that were the classic feeder resorts. It has jacked up the price of day tickets, rentals, and lessons near everywhere. It has made many real estate markets much more expensive.

Increasing the value of a season pass does not lower the barriers of entry to get more people skiing.

I will disagree with you on both counts. We started taking ski trips as a family about the same time Vail came out with the original Epic pass that included Vail, BC, Breck and Keystone. It was a game changer for us. We purchased Epic passes and skied for a week at the various Vail resorts. We may well not have taken those trips without the Epic Pass.

That got my wife and I back into skiing and our daughters into it. We also took trips where we skied exclusively at independent areas, Monarch, Ski Cooper, Cooper (not part of any pass at the time), Hodoo and Bachelor, Purgatory, Hesperus and Tride (also independent at the time).

I now live in Montana and have a Big Sky pass. I have a lot of friends who ski but don't go to Big Sky, they ski at Maverick Mountain a "classic feeder resort" because it provides a good value for them and their kids, has a kids ski and racing program and has a real sense of community. Things that are very important to a lot of locals. If the feeder resort is well managed and provides value (not just cheap tickets) and community, they will thrive in the shadow of the Mega Resorts, most likely because they are the opposite and that will attract a lot of people.

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
More skier days doesn't equal more people skiing. It equals more skier days.

Eventually the skiers of today will need replacing. It's getting harder and harder for people without significant means to get hooked on the sport due to cost of entry. And the consolidation is not helping that. Though maybe it is bringing in big ticket spenders from around the world -- that's probably good for the industry. But good for the bottom lines of the industry doesn't necessarily mean good for American ski culture more generally.
No doubt the cost of entry is a barrier, but the proliferation of cheap(er) season/multi-day passes is actually reducing the cost for a lot of new skiers. And there are ski areas that have found their way to serving the entry and family market successfully. Look no further than Loveland for an example.

Mike

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
I will disagree with you on both counts. We started taking ski trips as a family about the same time Vail came out with the original Epic pass that included Vail, BC, Breck and Keystone. It was a game changer for us. We purchased Epic passes and skied for a week at the various Vail resorts. We may well not have taken those trips without the Epic Pass.

That got my wife and I back into skiing and our daughters into it. We also took trips where we skied exclusively at independent areas, Monarch, Ski Cooper, Cooper (not part of any pass at the time), Hodoo and Bachelor, Purgatory, Hesperus and Tride (also independent at the time).

I now live in Montana and have a Big Sky pass. I have a lot of friends who ski but don't go to Big Sky, they ski at Maverick Mountain a "classic feeder resort" because it provides a good value for them and their kids, has a kids ski and racing program and has a real sense of community. Things that are very important to a lot of locals. If the feeder resort is well managed and provides value (not just cheap tickets) and community, they will thrive in the shadow of the Mega Resorts, most likely because they are the opposite and that will attract a lot of people.

That is a good story. I don't doubt there are many stories like yours. It doesn't mean we have statistical proof either way.

I've had a ton of friends move to Denver over the last five years. All of them very active people. The only people that ski in those groups are people that were already dedicated skiers before moving out. Getting any of the rest of them to go skiing (even though they love mountains, go snowshoeing, etc) is pulling teeth once they see prices for a day pass, rentals and lessons.

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
That is a good story. I don't doubt there are many stories like yours. It doesn't mean we have statistical proof either way.

I've had a ton of friends move to Denver over the last five years. All of them very active people. The only people that ski in those groups are people that were already dedicated skiers before moving out. Getting any of the rest of them to go skiing (even though they love mountains, go snowshoeing, etc) is pulling teeth once they see prices for a day pass, rentals and lessons.
Well, look to Loveland. It's something under $400 for three all-day beginner lessons and at the end of it, you get a season pass. Not exactly cheap, but when you look at the cost of a mountain or road bike, a pair of inline skates, climbing equipment, a kayak, etc., it isn't out of reach of a lot of folk who would like to try the sport.

Mike

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Well, look to Loveland. It's something under $400 for three all-day beginner lessons and at the end of it, you get a season pass. Not exactly cheap, but when you look at the cost of a mountain or road bike, a pair of inline skates, climbing equipment, a kayak, etc., it isn't out of reach of a lot of folk who would like to try the sport.

Mike

Oh, I'm well aware of Luv and it's entry. It's unique and my SO used it when she realized being my SO meant dealing with my ski habit.

$400 plus the gear you need to buy/rent is a big commitment. You can demo a mountain bike for a day, or a kayak, snowshoeing, or go climbing with friends all for $75 or less for a day pretty easily.

Not saying good deals don't. I'm saying that the continued pressure on small areas wrought by consolidation, and the jacking up of day pass/rental/lessons has some effect on entry.

SShore

Resident Curmudgeon
Skier
I see this as a real opportunity for the smaller independent areas. Monarch is making hay out of this consolidation in their marketing. As I said before, small areas with good management that provide good value and a good atmosphere can really benefit by positioning themselves as an alternative to both Vail and Alterra.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Mike
Here is an inherant problem with the industry..these programs are notpublished or promoted. It is like a special handhake that people have to know or know someone who knows someone who know someone to get access to these deals.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Plus the options they have for their time let alone the work they have to do to pay for the gear they need for the activites..activies once they get the gear for they don't need to spend hundreds of dollars to use the facilites. Skiing has a tough battle for the consumer's money.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Here is an inherant problem with the industry..these programs are notpublished or promoted. It is like a special handhake that people have to know or know someone who knows someone who know someone to get access to these deals.

Sort of agree. But not something you can level at Loveland. They promote the shit out of their 3-class pass.

Now the Breck/Keystone group lesson passes? Those you have to know someone to save money.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Plus the options they have for their time let alone the work they have to do to pay for the gear they need for the activites..activies once they get the gear for they don't need to spend hundreds of dollars to use the facilites. Skiing has a tough battle for the consumer's money.

It's not that hard for the industry to do way more in the way of vendor financing. Signing up for a beginner lesson package? Add a rental pass good all season for daily rentals for $100. AND we'll give you that $100 as credit when you buy your first boots from us. Vail won't do that for you as every interaction should be about profit, your local area can do that sort of thing. Take an improver clinic? Have a free high end demo on us. 2 kids or more in ski club? Free adult social clinic ( for the nervous moms/dads)

RJS

Out on the slopes
Skier
Why? So that they can successfully undercut their season pass sales at DV? If they want to make a serious play for SLC-local market share, Solitude was exactly the wrong purchase. Sure, they might be able to lure more pass buyers by dangling low-priced Ikon passes with full access, but if they did manage to improve market share by much, they'd really alienate customers since they don't have the parking to accommodate them.

I think Solitude makes sense as one of Alterra's portfolio of destinations, and as a long-term investment... but I don't see it as a viable strategy for significantly increasing Utah Ikon sales.

I think, when Ikon adds Soli (2019-2020 season is my guess) it will be only with limited days. My guess is that they'll continue offering Solitude and BCC passes, but if demand is high enough maybe they could get away with making it more exclusive.

@New2PDX I'm not sure that I agree with you about Solitude passes undercutting Deer Valley season passes. I think the customer bases are very different. Deer Valley is a pretty unique, high-end experience that caters to destination skiers and second-home owners. It also takes longer to drive to Deer Valley from Salt Lake City than LCC/BCC/Park City.

I do agree with you and @fatbob about Alterra potentially giving only limited days at Solitude. Giving limited days at Deer Valley, Snowbird, and Alta (I know they don't own the last two) in contrast to Vail's unlimited model makes a ton of sense: the limited days are usually plenty for the destination skiers, who these mountains are hoping to lure, but aren't enough to entice locals to opt for the Ikon instead of a season pass at one of the resorts. But who knows? Maybe Alterra will make Solitude an unlimited option.

I skied at Solitude for the first time this year and loved it. It's a great mountain. I understand that people are feeling down about the potential for Solitude to get more crowded, but honestly, if any resort in the Salt Lake area needed more traffic, it was Solitude.

I don't know how much Alta or Snowbird would care if Solitude got added to the Ikon Pass :huh:. I don't see it affecting Alta/Snowbird pass sales very much. While I loved Solitude, it doesn't have quite the terrain, views, or snow that Snowbird and Alta have. I could see myself flying out to Utah and skiing at both AltaBird and Solitude, but I wouldn't make a trip out to just ski at Solitude (or Brighton for that matter). And that's not a knock on Solitude, it's an acknowledgement of how many great resorts there are out there!

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Lots of folks appeared to forget DV used to own Solitude prior to being acquired by Alterra.
To me this is not if but when kind of thing. In fact I was surprised that Alterra orphaned Solitude at the start of thing.

New2

Out on the slopes
Skier
I don't think it makes a hill of beans to DV pass sales - DV customers are DV customers,and Ikon is never going to give unlimited access to DV. The only impact it has on DV passholders is if more SLC locals switch to Ikon (as they now have a daily driver hill) and therefore are also around to max out their DV days.
I don't think this purchase was to undercut the Deer Valley passes, it is a different clientele and I doubt more than a very small percentage of people from SLC have DV passes.

There's been discussion in one of the other threads that DV pass sales this year have already been hurting, and Alterra decided to throw in a "free" Ikon pass along with DV passes partway through sales to try to juice them, so it's not a fully inelastic market. I suspect weakness in pass sales this year was largely due to poor pricing decisions, but it looks to me like some DV fans are already picking Ikon instead. I agree that having an all-access Ikon resort in the market isn't going to have a huge impact on DV pass sales, but I think it would erode some.

The Alterra pass has had some sweet spots in it for sure, Colorado and Tahoe were good, Utah not so much with the limited days at Snowbird, Alta and DV, this gives the pass holder a core mountain and still have those other areas to treat them selves not not worry as much about counting their days.

If Solitude was the exactly wrong purchase for the SLC skiers, what was the right one? What were the options that were available?

I agree that Utah has not been an Ikon sweet spot in the way that Tahoe and Denver area. But I don't think Solitude changes this. During my years in Utah, the only spot I ever encountered "all lots full" signs was Solitude, on two different occasions. I know this is anecdotal evidence, and I'm not sure how true it really holds more broadly. And I'm not sure how easy or difficult it would be for Solitude to add parking.

If earning SLC-area market share was really a driving goal, then I think Brighton, Snowbird, Alta, or Snowbasin would've been stronger acquisitions. They're all starting from a higher baseline, and all have more parking slack to handle additional locals (although maybe not on powder days). Of course, "available" is a squishy concept, and Alterra may very well have pursued one or more of these without success.

From a business standpoint, I think the main opportunities at Solitude are to 1) increase lodging occupancy/returns, 2) increase spend in the village, and 3) increase profits for day/season pass sales. Treating Solitude as one of their carefully curated Ikon destinations helps Alterra move toward # 1 & #2. And if they can keep the uncrowded feeling and reputation, the increased tourist traffic can help them raise day/season pass rates to help toward #3. I think the Solitude purchase makes sense in this context, and the right strategy for implementing this is giving limited (5 or 7) days at Solitude on the Ikon pass.

Conversely, if they give unlimited Solitude access on Ikon, then yes, Ikon pass sales would likely increase in Utah. But most of those pass sales would take the place of higher-margin Solitude pass sales, with some new business/BCC/DV pass cannibalism thrown in. The added traffic to Solitude would degrade the visitor experience, putting downward pressure on Solitude Village tourism and day ticket sales. It looks like lose-lose to me.

Plus, unlike Tahoe and Denver, there isn't a massive population of Epic passholders in SLC for Alterra to try to turn.

I'm not sure that I agree with you about Solitude passes undercutting Deer Valley season passes. I think the customer bases are very different. Deer Valley is a pretty unique, high-end experience that caters to destination skiers and second-home owners. It also takes longer to drive to Deer Valley from Salt Lake City than LCC/BCC/Park City.

I do agree with you and @fatbob about Alterra potentially giving only limited days at Solitude. Giving limited days at Deer Valley, Snowbird, and Alta (I know they don't own the last two) in contrast to Vail's unlimited model makes a ton of sense: the limited days are usually plenty for the destination skiers, who these mountains are hoping to lure, but aren't enough to entice locals to opt for the Ikon instead of a season pass at one of the resorts. But who knows? Maybe Alterra will make Solitude an unlimited option.

I skied at Solitude for the first time this year and loved it. It's a great mountain. I understand that people are feeling down about the potential for Solitude to get more crowded, but honestly, if any resort in the Salt Lake area needed more traffic, it was Solitude.

I don't know how much Alta or Snowbird would care if Solitude got added to the Ikon Pass :huh:. I don't see it affecting Alta/Snowbird pass sales very much. While I loved Solitude, it doesn't have quite the terrain, views, or snow that Snowbird and Alta have. I could see myself flying out to Utah and skiing at both AltaBird and Solitude, but I wouldn't make a trip out to just ski at Solitude (or Brighton for that matter). And that's not a knock on Solitude, it's an acknowledgement of how many great resorts there are out there!

Relative drive times vary depending on day of week and starting location... I'd agree that DV has a bit of a handicap there, but not much. Plenty of locals are willing to drive an extra 5-10 minutes each way if they perceive better value or better experience. And I agree that DV and Solitude currently have pretty different clienteles, but I think Alterra would very much like Solitude's clientele to gradually shift closer to matching DV's, rather than vice versa.

I understand and sympathize with your hesitation to fly all the way to SLC and skip Alta or Snowbird. But I think Alterra has a good understanding that customers' approaches vary. There are plenty of tourists who will spend a week at Snowmass without ever skiing the other Aspen areas; or a week at Copper without ever hitting one of its neighbors. Solitude can similarly attract families who want to stay in one spot, and they already do it to some extent... but pairing with the existing Ikon infrastructure should help.

Alta and Snowbird management knows that they have strong cores of loyal passholders who they don't need to worry much about. But they're both looking at protecting margins on pass sales and going after the portion of the market that is not committed to a specific mountain. The more attractive Ikon looks to those uncommitted skiers, the less willing Alta and Snowbird will be to stay in the deal.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I agree that on net maybe right now is good for the nameless consumer.

That doesn't meant that there aren't a lot of people that are hurt by it. I talked to my buddy last night who works at Snowbird but mostly skis at Solitude. He was pretty upset about it. It means the last bastion of non-insanity on powder days in the cottonwoods will now see a ton more traffic. He's hurt by it. People who value the ski experience of a certain mountain and have built their life around it are hurt when that mountain is bought out and the experience changes.

Does it hurt John Doe skis 10 days of a year and lives elsewhere. No. It's great for them. It's great for people who have the time and monetary resources to travel to utilize the diverse locations on the pass. Its good for people who prefer high speed lifts than to people who prefer slow lifts and better snow.

And none of this says anything about what it does for local employment. Or the fact that monopolies have a history of entering the market with low prices, and then consistently raising them as competition disappears.

Whoops! thought I had logged into the eMTB thread again....:eek: :rolleyes:

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
I do find it slightly ironic that anyone would build their life around the expectation of solitude at a resort within a stonesthrow of the major metropolitan area in a state which sells itself on outdoor recreation. Plenty of ski hills in the boonies......

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
Simply put, duopolies are bad for consumers and employees (with the exception of industries such as utilities that are natural monopolies). Rather than go on some diatribe about economics, I'd encourage people who have not studied a lot of business/economics to do some of their own research on the topic and then form your own conclusion.

I can understand why many on skiers on this forum and elsewhere look at these multiresort passes by Vail and IKON and think how can this not be good for avid skiers. I get it, but once Vail and Alterra complete their rapidly approaching vice grip on the industry, their strategies will change from market share gain plus increasing profit to simply plain old maximizing profits (no need to worry about share gain once they basically control the industry). When this happens, we'll all feel the squeeze. And those who love what is happening, doesn't it even make you just a little nervous about how rapidly the industry is consolidating?

For those unhappy about it, we can't do much unfortunately except support the independents and if you can bring yourself to do it, hold your nose and purchase some shares of Vail so that at least you can profit from this mess. I hope that one day people will put pressure on politicians to create tougher anti-trust limitations from a regulatory perspective.

Okay, so I'm going to get off my soapbox about this. I know I have repeated this ad nauseam in one way or another on some other threads, so I better stop on this topic now before I risk simply sounding like a douche.

Sponsor

Staff online