• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

James

Out There
Instructor
Oh my goodness, that's a GREAT progression, described so clearly.
Yes, I expect if you work on this over the green season you will be skiing on one ski next season with ease.
I'm tempted to take up inline skating just to give this a try.
I might wear knee protectors though ....
Wrist is more likely to break actually.
Helmet, wrist, elbow, knee, you're good.

Very interesting about the ankles and inline skating. Had no idea people were using the outside edge of the wheels.

Very relevant in general is this quote. Very like something as basic as railroad tracks where people think they are just edging but they're twisting the ski.
I've skated behind a lot of people that I had just sold skates to and the one thing I noticed was when trying to get them to skate on an outside edge they say, am I doing it now, and I'll say no, you need to crick your ankle further like this, and then they'll say, am I doing it now and I'll say no you need to crick your ankle further like this. We would go back and forth like that another 50 times before they even came close to an outside edge. So what I've learned is people think their skate is in one position when in reality it's in a completely different position. Where that helps you is unless you know you're on your outside edge at a 45 degree angle chances are your not as far on the outside edge as you think.
http://www.nettracing.com/step1.htm

Last edited:

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
I thought you folks would enjoy that insight into a parallel dimension, so many similar issues to overcome.

I am actually petrified when I'm on my skates, I think it may be the most dangerous thing I do these days. I really, really don't want to fall at any speed, even with all the safety equipment so I will most likely never get good at it. Still, the movement patterns and the balance required translate so well to snow it's worth it to take a geriatric cruise down the trail and get in touch with my outside edges.

I was quite happy with my recent skate modifications though. They are the right size but had a bit too much volume, the exact same issue I had with my ski boots this winter. I put in a green Superfeet insole and wore the little neoprene "foot fatteners" and I got a much better connection with the ground. Fit matters just as much on skates as it does skis.

Sponsor

Staff online