• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Bolder

Out on the slopes
Skier
Spend some time skiing with no poles. You hold a lot of tension in your arms and also assume an exaggerated position.

But then concentrate on the feet/legs.
No poles is not an excuse to be a full body rotator.

I was going to say the same thing but didn't want to point out what seems obvious to me. My wife has the same issue with a "frozen" upper body. Did you ever play basketball or football -- think of a good "defensive crouch" in which you have a strong core base but have your arms in constant (productive) motion.

Last edited:
TS
Started at 53

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Today’s update
3115772C-F7A4-4605-ACB7-60E6C19628E4.jpeg
342D8496-F38C-4BD7-9F97-FB2E2663CE51.jpeg

Pretty sure I’m ok, my self diagnosis is strained ACL’s on both knees. Unlikely to go dancing tonight

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Yikes! I hope you aren't joining our ACL fraternity. Just a reminder -- doctors who are not orthopods are pretty lousy at diagnosing knee injuries.

Chris V.

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Strained LCL on both knees

Both in braces and on crutches, I’ll be fine, but skipping the dance party tonight :)

Both sides probably good, actually. Not sure you wanted to hear that. Likely you didn't do anything seriously weird on one side or the other. Lots of fingers crossed fir you here.

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
If you're crutching around on slippery surfaces, be sure you have the retractable ice picks for crutches. In Colorado, the City Market grocery franchises have them in their pharmacy.
icegrip_large.jpg

I've had MCL injuries (other side of knee), along with multiple other instances of using crutches in the winter.

TS
Started at 53

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
If you're crutching around on slippery surfaces, be sure you have the retractable ice picks for crutches. In Colorado, the City Market grocery franchises have them in their pharmacy.
icegrip_large.jpg

I've had MCL injuries (other side of knee), along with multiple other instances of using crutches in the winter.

Those things look GREAT!!!!!

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
Got too complacent and forgot to turn the inside ski I bet

TS
Started at 53

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
You can still slow dance with Mrs 53! :yahoo:

Sorry about the injury, Jay. Luckily it wasn't too bad.:thumb:

Thanks, all in all I feel lucky as it was a bad crash

Got too complacent and forgot to turn the inside ski I bet

Sadly, I think I was too cautious and that caused the problem. If I had taken the fall line more it would not have happened. It was only the second run of the day and I was trying to take it easy. Certainly you are right, I had too much weight on the new inside ski and did not slide it in and that caused the tips to cross.

Luckily I am in no pain, and no meds were prescribed. Just two sore knees (very different from pain), so all is relatively good.

I just wish it was on tape, having lived the crash/tumble/slide.... It would have looked AWESOME!!!!

Hey, it is not a safe sport, but I am addicted and will be back!!!!!

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Bummer! I recommend a couple of these for when you get back on your boards. I had a partial tear on my left MCL a few weeks ago and have used this brace for two days now. It does take a bit of getting used to but it's not uncomfortable and it stays where you put it. I fits under my ski pants no problem. It provides good lateral support and I'm planning on using it for the rest of the season. Here's hoping for a quick recovery!

EDIT: They're a bit cheaper on Amazon.

Sponsor

Staff online