• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
Started at 53

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
For pure entertainment!!!! Not looking for MA

IF you can’t laugh at yourself what is the point?

Having a great time, making lots of progress this year.

Skied several steeper Blues today, including all but the top pitch of Birdseye

TS
Started at 53

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
A little video from today, it was an awesome day skiing, DV was at it’s best with perfect snow. Likely today was my best skiing ever. This video was post lunch, so end of our day (first trackers) and I was a bit tired, but it is a decent representation of today’s skiing. This was pretty slow, but overall my app’s show my skiing is faster both top speed, but more importantly the average. The video is my first time down Big Stick (top portion as the bottom is a double Blue)

Did 14,206 vertical today in a short day for us

Last edited:
TS
Started at 53

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
DV reported 8” over night and it DUMPED all morning and early afternoon. They easily got another 8” from the “overnight” report.

It was a :yeah: :bestday:

It was by far the BEST I ever skied. Piled up stuff, Crud... No problem, skied right through it.

I had a BLAST.

James

Out There
Instructor
DV reported 8” over night and it DUMPED all morning and early afternoon. They easily got another 8” from the “overnight” report.

It was a :yeah: :bestday:

It was by far the BEST I ever skied. Piled up stuff, Crud... No problem, skied right through it.

I had a BLAST.
So what are you doing differently that you can now just ski right through it?

TS
Started at 53

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
So what are you doing differently that you can now just ski right through it?

I have separation (thanks to @Lorenzzo) and angulation (again thanks to @Lorenzzo) which has allowed me to really get my edge into the snow to create leverage for some sweet turns. My weight is consistently more forward than I was two weeks ago. I am keeping my skis in the fall line longer as I feel confident with a bit more speed due to the ability to turn at will. Lorenzo gave me some great drills that allowed me to get parallel

Edited to add: with my weight forward and knees bent it allowed my knees/legs to absorb the bumps/inconsistencies in the surface. Much of this is a result of being a lot more relaxed.

Last edited:

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
Love the separation, but watch the sequential ski turning. You are transferring weight to the new outside ski before releasing the inside ski, causing the skis to do different things. Think about the the extension of your new outside leg as pushing down on the pedal of a bicycle. The other foot has to be coming up at the same time.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
ugh dont push down....you can see him pushing down....pushing on the outside never leads to anything good.

Also as someone who is interest in PMTS, progression in PMTS is skill development, which then leads to being able to ski steeper terrain, not skiing steeper terrain thinking it will lead to skill development.

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
Yeah, the pushing makes everything happen too fast leading to Z shapes in the turn. When that inside foot is tipped to the LTE and pulled back, the pressure is already increasing on the outside ski without any other input needed. That nice, progressive loading of the outside ski makes for nice round turns.

You would think something as simple as that would be easy and intuitive to learn. For some maybe but learning to ski in your 50's has it's challenges no matter what your athletic ability. Keep up the good work Jay!

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
@Started at 53 looks like you are becoming more comfortable on the hill!

What are you doing primarily to improve? What I mean is -- are you taking any lessons, using this forum, tips from ski buddies, or ?? Cool to see the videos. Just wondering how you are going from A to B to C, etc.

James

Out There
Instructor
Spend some time skiing with no poles. You hold a lot of tension in your arms and also assume an exaggerated position.

But then concentrate on the feet/legs.
No poles is not an excuse to be a full body rotator.

TS
Started at 53

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@Started at 53 looks like you are becoming more comfortable on the hill!

What are you doing primarily to improve? What I mean is -- are you taking any lessons, using this forum, tips from ski buddies, or ?? Cool to see the videos. Just wondering how you are going from A to B to C, etc.

I am getting tips/lessons from a former DV instructor

TS
Started at 53

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Today was another great day, got out early for first tracks after the 24” of snow the past few days. The groomers were spectacular to say the least. I nearly got 20,000 vertical today, shoulda just taken another run but didn’t, 19,406.

I went straight up top today to do laps on some blues before they got tracked out, truth be told, the mountain was empty today and nothing got tracked out. It was DV at it’s BEST!!!!

When the “crowds” ended up high, we went low and skied long runs practically on our own.

I rocked Success top to bottom in 4 minutes according to my tracker, it is a 1.1 mile run.

It was not a huge jump, but I did improve a noticeable amount today.

My “coach” suggested I do a bit of PMTS tipping of the inside knee to get some more edging, it felt ok and I will pursue it some tomorrow.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
2318CCFB-28C4-48E0-8F51-84F83566D844.jpeg
We met up with @Started at 53 and the misses at Deer Valley

TS
Started at 53

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Another great day skiing, skied a bunch of blues today, some for the first time, the overwhelming majority of my runs are now blues, and some are getting pretty steep. Betsy talked me into trying Little Kate, and it was a BLAST!!!!

Separation and Angulation are getting better and better, even on the steeps (for me).

Had a couple of runs with @Philpug and @Tricia today as well. Always good to meet people in person.

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
ugh dont push down....you can see him pushing down....pushing on the outside never leads to anything good.

Wrong terminology on my part regarding the pedaling. Think instead of one leg shortening while the other extends.

Sponsor