• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2023/2024 How many days so far?

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
110 days for the season at Big Sky. Time to head East as I hear they are getting some snow back in Vermont.
IMG_4211.jpeg

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
#60! Yesterday.. and 1 year ago I was still trying to walk without a limp. Gore was fantastic, left over 5" of powder mixed with the frozen granular, sun in the 20F morning made for some great carving..
top of the cloud..
3 22 24 gore 2.jpg
3 22 24 gore 3.jpg

high peaks were beautiful
3 22 24 gore 4.jpg

top of rumor (left) and Lies (right)
top of rumor and pit 3 22 24.jpg

21 runs, almost 24K
gore march 22 2024.jpg
clouds moved in, kept it chilly and perfect carving. still rocking my @liberty76W's

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Day 28, and the first day that I took my 5.5 month old for a run. It was finally warm enough that we felt comfortable enough to go for a run. She didn't care one way or another and contentedly sucked on her pacifier and stared at the other skiers we saw on our slow meander down the mountain. Our season may end tomorrow.. 40+ highs for the next week and there isn't a ton of snow left.
432593569_735340982054395_4997690404511849615_n.jpg

Yepow

Excuse me, I'm an intermediate
Skier
Day 28, and the first day that I took my 5.5 month old for a run. It was finally warm enough that we felt comfortable enough to go for a run. She didn't care one way or another and contentedly sucked on her pacifier and stared at the other skiers we saw on our slow meander down the mountain. Our season may end tomorrow.. 40+ highs for the next week and there isn't a ton of snow left.
View attachment 230761
with a pic like that, onlookers would find it very hard not to stare!

...Those retro Rossi blackops are breathtaking

az29okg

Putting on skis
Skier
Day 39 at Calabogie (Ontario). It was a rough day for my pretty Head e-Race Pros. There was only some snow on the groomed runs. You had to keep an eye out for bare exposed rocks. I kept finding new rocks as the day wore on, gave up at about 1:30 PM.
1000021164.jpg

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
40 is my likely final tally of ski days for the season.

This was one of the most challenging seasons of my ski race coaching career. We were chasing snow all winter long. And when we had camps planned they always got some sort of spanner thrown into the works (e.g. warm and rainy weather for Killington just after the World Cups, rain and flooding just prior to our Sunday River camp).

My main mountain, Liberty Mountain, opened on MLK weekend and only with three beginner trails. My team had to decamp to Timberline Mountain, WV, for two straight weekends just to get time on snow.

Once Liberty was really open it was quite good. I applaud mountain management for blowing deeper, narrower trails rather than spreading things thin to get wider coverage. That saved their bacon through the frequent warm spells - we only had a handful of good snowmaking days and nights during the season.

Races got moved around hither, thither, and yon. Our already compressed racing season went from 7 weeks down to effectively 4 weeks - the athletes and coaches got tired quickly. The high point of the racing season was a speed camp at Okemo, VT, where we had incredible conditions for working on speed concepts and one of the best racing surfaces I've ever seen on our SG race day.

Last weekend was USSS Eastern U18/21 Finals at Gore Mountain, NY, which is where things likely ended for the season. At least we had a blissful blower powder day on Saturday. I only got a couple tastes of the goodness as we had to remove all of that fresh snow from the racing trail to get to the icy racing surface - but my, oh my, that powder was as light as I've ever seen in the east.

I had 5 wonderful days on snow in Utah a couple of weeks back, including one blower powder day at my home mountain of Solitude. That was great. And I finally invested in some "play boots," a pair of Atomic Hawx Ultra 130 XTDs. Yes, they are a lot softer than the plugs I usually ski in but they're a lot more fun in powder. :cool:

Now I'm pivoting toward two wheels, pedals, and lycra until the snow flies again.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Day 42 on a powder day at Magic. They ran the black chair and when there was finally a line they opened the red as well and poof no lines. We got around 30" or so. They didn't groom much and by noon everything was bumped up. It was phenomenal fun. My stockli stormrider 95s were amazing in the untracked and bumped up powder. What a day, what a weekend.

Last edited:

Sponsor