• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The Savor project reminds me of when Elan launched the SCX, they did it right with a complete education process with ski schools and shop employees. They brought key influencers out and retaught them how to ski. Elan worked with ASC (American Skiing Company) and their ski school and gave free lessons. For the success of the Savor, Atomic cannot just rely on word of mouth because it won't happen. There are too many vocal people who who are influnncers who just don't understand what Atomic is trying to do here and I can see how these people could undermind the program.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The are offering a 110 that will have an Air Fit bladder.
Notice that if they do clever things with the liner you may not need i [heel-hold-down cable]:
Ok, that moves it from "no way" to "maybe". I've never worn an air-bladder sneaker, so I don't know much about them. (I hate buying shoes, too....)

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
All you have to do is work in the retail/rec industry to know that this is not a bad idea. And if you really want some fun, work in the used market.:)

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
All you have to do is work in the retail/rec industry to know that this is not a bad idea. And if you really want some fun, work in the used market.:)
Sadly, it is not that simple. There are a lot of Jurrasic thinking minds in the industry. In their defence some of the thinking comes from poorly derived products and ill conceived concepts but each need to be evaluated on their own merits and some times the baby gets thrown out with the bathwater.

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
If boots are the most important piece of equipment, then the bootfitter may have the most important role in determining whether a customer skis a few days or a lifetime.

I'm not convinced the majority see it that way. If they do, words like "easy" and "comfortable" will be welcome in their trade.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
If boots are the most important piece of equipment, then the bootfitter may have the most important role in determining whether a customer skis a few days or a lifetime.
How many days do you ski/expect to ski in a season should be one of the first questions asked by every bootfitter.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I look forward to an opportunity to try these on.

Now, Atomic, how about easy to put on socks? For the fit I like, I have difficulty getting mine on some mornings. Early morning (lack of) flexibility has something to do with that.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

Now, Atomic, how about easy to put on socks? For the fit I like, I have difficulty getting mine on some mornings. Early morning (lack of) flexibility has something to do with that.
Rear entry socks?

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
The Savor project reminds me of when Elan launched the SCX, they did it right with a complete education process with ski schools and shop employees. They brought key influencers out and retaught them how to ski. Elan worked with ASC (American Skiing Company) and their ski school and gave free lessons. For the success of the Savor, Atomic cannot just rely on word of mouth because it won't happen. There are too many vocal people who who are influnncers who just don't understand what Atomic is trying to do here and I can see how these people could undermind the program.

I for one completely get what Atomic is doing.

I have seen a lot of people on the slopes here in Colorado using boots like the Apex in the obvious search for more comfortable and easy boots. The new Atomics look like the best alternative yet not only because of the rear entry but also the lightness and performance that can be achieved with the advanced materials avalable today.

Looking forward to checking them out

RuleMiHa

Out on the slopes
Skier

Amazon sells sock assist devices that help with putting on compression socks. I've seriously considered these some mornings when struggling with my compression socks, especially since they're only around $15.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
I have lost track of how big the rental market is, though I do know that it's big. If the lower level Savor serves that market well {is easy for the rental fleet folks to set up the renters, and makes it easy and comfortable for the renters to ski}, tis could be a big win. I understand the older skier market very well. My mom and dad skied very, very late in life. Life long skiers. Dad was an Olympian, pre WWII. But in their ninth decade, being comfortable, having it be easy, etc. made their fairly short ski days a great deal more fun for them. He was in Solly rear entries. My mom was in custom Molitors with the cable buckle system. Fit her better than a glove. I do think her driving in them from their ski house to base lodge was a bit scary. She would swear that she was not doing it....but yeah, she was independent. And had done THAT for decades!

I can see this market. But then again, the distribution and sales side of this industry is much like Phil describes. Not cutting edge. Beyond old school. The reps these days drive vans, trucks, or SUV's. whereas at one point they rode dinosaurs with company logos on them. Otherwise very, very similar. SIA, and then.....the same old.

There will be some opposition to buying and stocking this product line, IMO. Maybe quite a bit. And I think that will be a real mistake.

Good luck to Atomic with this. Hope it goes well.

Last edited:

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
The boot may need to be offered in several "widths" to meet the requirements of the target groups.

I know when I "shop boots" for fit, the first issue is last width. Usually that means confining the search to certain models within a given maker's product line.

We all don't have 98mm feet.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
@CalG Most bootfitters I know will say length is the first thing to consider. Correct width can be created, length is another matter. But I understand where you are coming from. Rental shops aren't going to stock widths, though. They'll have enough boots with just the full size run in the quantities they need.

Without trying them on, I'm going to guess that the air fit feature will address some width issues. At least I'd hope.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
From the Atomic PR it's kinda hard to see if they are pitching this as a full retail range or as a packaged deal for rental - looking at the skis too. Could be great bundled in with lessons as a brand lock-in for adult beginners.

I'm sceptical about some of the claims. They are claiming skis which are engineered to be as light and easy as possible to ski have the grip of race skis which sends the BS meter off the scale. Plus when people are ready to buy their own kit don't they generally want stuff that will accomodate growing skills even if they never develop such skills?

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier

Would you consider a spray-on solution :)

Chef23

Getting on the lift
Skier
I was talking with my wife about these today and we will probably look at them for her next year. My wife is a very casual intermediate skier and comfort and ease of entry/exit are important to her.

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
@CalG Most bootfitters I know will say length is the first thing to consider. Correct width can be created, length is another matter. But I understand where you are coming from. Rental shops aren't going to stock widths, though. They'll have enough boots with just the full size run in the quantities they need.

Without trying them on, I'm going to guess that the air fit feature will address some width issues. At least I'd hope.

Length is an "off the shelf" decision. An important one, but easy. I marvel at how frequently it is made incorrectly.

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
This really could be the answer to a lot of recreational skiing families. I see families struggling every weekend at the lodge, cursing & swearing at each other. The boot struggle is an aweful way to start the day. Props to Atomic for taking the risk.

jzmtl

Intermidiot
Skier
Amazon sells sock assist devices that help with putting on compression socks. I've seriously considered these some mornings when struggling with my compression socks, especially since they're only around $15.

Ha, those damn things are harder to put on/take off than my 130 boots in -20, so much I've gone back to regular ski socks most of the time.

Sponsor

Staff online