• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
This past summer we were throwing out a bunch of junk, and “cleaning out”. Into the dumpster went my dad’s last boots. The original 92 Equipes, the orange boots. Mice has eaten a lot of the liners. He’d be 102 if alive today. You can’t keep everything....or in our case we can’t. We’re going to try to downsize from two homes into more, and smaller.

I remember at the time thinking “these things are BIG, and that is a long BSL for a guy with a size 9 foot. A 9 with a huge instep, and a big, “rugged” ankle, even late in life. He was an engineer, his company did a lot of work in the ski business and he thought these were brilliant. I had a bigger foot and as I recall a MUCH smaller Lange, HaHa.

Thread brings back good memories for me.
And as I said earlier, I absolutely believe there is a market. Renters, brand newbies, seniors.
I would love to know how big the rental market is these days, and who has what for share. I could see this boot, and whatever they match with it for skis and bindings doing well.

Interesting to watch!

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I spend a few hours every Friday evening behind the rental counter. A lot of my time is taken up by helping new skiers try on their rental boots. Many struggle and are frustrated. Some specifically ask for rear-entry boots, which we still have on the racks. I am happy to see that Atomic has taken this step.

I have switched to a Roxa 3-piece shell for the ease of taking on and off, and comfort on the hill. I am able to ski in them all day in comfort....a trait which alluded me for years. However, this design is not a good fit (pun intended) for the rental market, as the tongue has to be seated properly.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Power Numbers were brilliant but it was a nordic ski idea trying to make it in an alpine world. Having a Pr6,7,8 correspond to a range of lengths depending on flex and sidecut was completely lost on the alpine public. Of course, this was the same public that couldn't understand why a 170cm was not appropriate for a 200lb guy when it was flexed for a 100lb girl and a different 165cm was not appropriate for a 100 lb girl when it was flexed for a hockey-built racer.

Alpina hung onto a similar idea as their colour sizing system for out of track skis for decades.

:) @Philpug still doesn't believe me when I tell him that there was a 215cm Pr8 - soft as a pillow but LOOOOONG.

The original Salomon 9000 1S was a 212...if you want it measured as a 215..it is not a mountain I need to die on. ;)

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
I'm solidly in the camp that thinks there is a place for a rear-entry boot. Like many, my Atomic Redster boot provides great fit and performance, but, they are an absolute PITA in entry and exit mode, especially when cold. My son and I have the same foot size, one time, and one time only, did he try to use my boots, any guesses as to the reason? I would not expect rear-entry boots to be embraced by the dedicatecd Pugski community, as it runs country to dogma to get the best fitting/perfoming boot available. For newer and lower skill people, they could just bring more people into the sport. It will be interesting to read the reviews.

A little antidotal story. When I returned to skiing, over 10 years ago, I used my Solly SX 92's, white with some nice pink highlights. Took a lesson at Alta, on the first ride up, my instructor assessed my boots as a performance hinderance. On the last ride up, she semi-apologized and said I was doing just fine in them. Two days later, I joined a husband/wife team at Snowbird who were instructors at Bellayre, pretty much the same scenario. Prior to the next season, bought a pair of 4 buckle Sollies, and, got welcomed to the PITA world of putting them on and off. Did my skiing improve greatly, it did, but, I also spent a lot of time working on better technique.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
in defence of the people that say the SX92 is not a good boot..I have a pair here that I do ski from time to time. I am a 330 is Salomon-ese and these fit much better than they ski. They have a ton of forward lean much more than any modern boot. The flex...well in any of the settings is "flex on demand", there is absolutely no rebound, I pretty much have to bend my knee back to unflex the boot.

When I called for a modern SX..I was never saying to break out the molds from this boot but an SX, with the features of the old one but in a modern more efficient design.

Bruuuce

My advice is worth what you paid for it.
Skier
I knew it. Everything old is new again, I should never have thrown out those SX91Equipes. :doh:

I loved my 91E's and saw some pretty amazing skiing by guys that wore them.

I think this is a great idea for the beginner to average skier that rents or doesn't want to hassle with front entry. I will also say that when our ski shop went to Salomon rear entries it made the rental process sooo much quicker and easier. It's definitely not for everyone, but I think it might have it's place in the market.

Nitrobunny

Taking care of business...it’s what I do.
Skier
My poorly healed broken (multiple fractures) ankle and 4 compression fractures have kept me off the slopes for the last nine years (which feels like forever after skiing for almost forty years) but a rear entry boot like this could be just what the doctor ordered provided it does everything a good boot should do. My left ankle just won’t tolerate the wrangling it takes to get into a nice, super snug race type boot that I was accustomed to. I’d really like to try this @PisteOff what do you think?

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My poorly healed broken (multiple fractures) ankle and 4 compression fractures have kept me off the slopes for the last nine years (which feels like forever after skiing for almost forty years) but a rear entry boot like this could be just what the doctor ordered provided it does everything a good boot should do. My left ankle just won’t tolerate the wrangling it takes to get into a nice, super snug race type boot that I was accustomed to. I’d really like to try this @PisteOff what do you think?
I think you should try it then babe..... definitely

Nitrobunny

Skier
I think you should try it then babe..... definitely
For sure. My podiatrist has no issue with my skiing as a good boot would keep everything immobile like my air cast does. The only issue I can see would be performance. As we know, I’m pretty fussy :yahoo:I would just have to convince the neurologist and back doctor that all is well LOL.

T-Square

Terry
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
As an adaptive instructor I’m glad to see these back on the market. At "this period in my skiing career" I’m glad to see an easier boot to slam my decrepit feet into.

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
What are the physical properties of the rear entry construction that 'automatically' limits performance?

Nitrobunny

Skier
Rear entry socks?
Don’t laugh but on a bad day (RA) I can have a hell of a time putting on a pair of socks. Anyone who could make socks easier to put on would likely become an instant millionaire and adored by many around the world. ogsmile

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
FWIW RE boots were bound to come back as boot manufacturers look for ways to sell more products. They just had to frame the return properly and it seems like they have done a good job. No doubt that the most difficult part of being a new skier is the boot and by approaching the entry level skiers through the rental market they provide name recognition when that skier goes out to make a purchase. Also the age demographic of boomers that are willing to exchange cash for convenience and they have diminished skills but want to keep active/young make a easy target. I was surprised to see that it took until page 4 for someone to use the name Hanson although with out the spray silicone you could not call them easy. As for the comment on page 2 about the boot with the air bladder it was Head that had two models but they were both front entry and they did tend to leak but the technology should have improved since the late seventies. Anyway one way that might get my wife to return to skiing may be a RE boot because that was what she had when she gave it up.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The only problem with the old Salomon SX91 and 92 was that nobody else could duplicate their combination of easy use and performance, so they all got together and decided to start trash-talking RE boots.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Anybody try the Atomic Savor on at least?

Comments?

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Maybe they should call the product savior, or they are hoping the clientele will. I found a better alternative for boot removal
upload_2019-2-3_17-42-2.png

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I wonder if they are going to make a woman's model of the new RE Boot? I am a bit surprised that women are not listed as their part of their target market.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I wonder if they are going to make a woman's model of the new RE Boot? I am a bit surprised that women are not listed as their part of their target market.
They do have a women's also. I agree, if they missed the women's market it would be a boo boo. It's white.

Sponsor