• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

James

Out There
Instructor
The big question is does this boot flex forward or rearward? Or maybe both.
It's also probably more similar to a 90 flex boot since there's no power strap.

"One could presume that it is pretty hard to find an entirely new product concept for a large group of skiers. However, that is precisely what Atomic has done." -Atomic Press Release

I'm glad someone is coming out with a newly produced rear entry. A 40 year old concept is not new though.

WheatKing

Ice coast carveaholic
Skier
My dad gave up skiing for 2 reasons.. one.. being taken out by little kids on the green slopes where he's still comfortable skiing and two.. boots. I inherited his foot so i know the issue.. very high instep with long forefoot and short toes..

His rear entries broke.. and can't get his foot into an overlap shell without either being too big or having pain.. the rear entries he had (forget the brand) you could put your foot into, and then screw a plate down onto the forefoot to hold it in place. I wore them a few times and they worked ok.. good enough for greens and mild blues..

Good on them for taking a chance on something everyone is going to bitch about but we all know we skied and did ok with.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I'm glad someone is coming out with a newly produced rear entry. A 40 year old concept is not new though.
LOL, I am referring to it as a re-evolution of design.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Matt is one of the greatest gifts to Newschoolers who tirelessly answers boot fitting questions when it comes to Atomic boots and everyone else’s on there discussing the new Rear Entry boots.

Think they would be a great purchase for all those older skiers at my local hill with 500 days plus on their original Salomon rear entry liners.

[video]

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Matt is one of the greatest gifts to Newschoolers who tirelessly answers boot fitting questions when it comes to Atomic boots and everyone else’s on there discussing the new Rear Entry boots.
I have asked Matt to join us here.

Chef23

Getting on the lift
Skier
I seem to remember someone else putting an air bladder in boots way back. Good idea to snug the boot up in place of the cable and plate on the older rear entry boots.

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
It's also probably more similar to a 90 flex boot since there's no power strap.

I'd hope so. A 90 flex boot for a woman is quite stiff (Dalbello's line didn't extend past a 95 flex last year). (And yes, flex varies, all that jazz). Especially when you factor in the older skier or Asian market that's likely smaller.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
With the leaps in technology and materials since the last successful RE boots I think Atomic has made a good choice. Start relatively small (beginners/rentals/intermediates) and if it works, then move into more performance oriented boots. There are plenty of people who ski 10-20 days per year never leaving the blues who would be super happy with an "easy" boot.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Wonder if it would be feasible to produce a rear entry boot with 2 buckle split upper cuff and a power strap? It would provide a way let the boot flex forward without broadening as badly and the power strap might help with the stiffness issue.
Making molds is very pricey, but it could be interesting. Run that one through your computers Atomic.
Inquiring minds want to know.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Finally!!!

:golfclap: :golfclap: :golfclap:
With the leaps in technology and materials since the last successful RE boots I think Atomic has made a good choice. Start relatively small (beginners/rentals/intermediates) and if it works, then move into more performance oriented boots. There are plenty of people who ski 10-20 days per year never leaving the blues who would be super happy with an "easy" boot.

My parents are a perfect example. Quit skiing because they do not want to deal with heavy boots that are hard to get in and out of. They despise that part of skiing more than anything. Light skis have been available for a while. Only AT boots have been light and pretty easy for years. These Atomics are a long time coming, awesome.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The Savor project shows a ground up commitment to the beginner/exiting skier. from a boot that is easy to get in/ski in/off to a ski that has less shape and easier to ski. This is a risk that Atomic, while some might question, is really important. It will not come down to how the product is presented in retailers and seeing responses elsewhere, specifically in some Facebook groups, I am not sure that will happen. There are some elitest in this industry that feel it it's not a 150 plug boot, it isn't worth offering.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
There are a lot more beginner/low intermediates in the world than advanced and experts. Remember Revenge of the Nerds? As Lewis said, "We have news for the beautiful people. There's a lot more of us than there are of you." I think Atomic may be on to something.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
There are a lot more beginner/low intermediates in the world than advanced and experts. Remember Revenge of the Nerds? As Lewis said, "We have news for the beautiful people. There's a lot more of us than there are of you." I think Atomic may be on to something.
If you can't see the nerd in the room, it's probably you. ;)

Sponsor

Staff online