• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Squaw has finally opened some upper lifts including Siberia and Shirley Lake today. Should be a vast Improvement as Squaw really stunk yesterday.

Runs in the Red Dog area were good NE Powder-almost boilerplate on lower sections. I left after 3 runs.

Went to Alpine which was vastly better. Nice conditions. The 600 ft higher base made a real difference in the last storm. The higher you go the better the snow. Summit Chair is still closed.

ProLeisure

We are all snow leopards.
Skier
Another crazy-busy day at Alpine. :roflmao:There were even less people today than yesterday. In two hours of skiing I shared a chair with one other person only once.

49179456946_269eabf33b_h.jpg

49179458651_2bf2de2123_h.jpg

49179455446_cb089eb75a_h.jpg

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Rose's snow was absolutely PHENOMENAL today. Better than Tuesday and Tuesday was great. Just perfect chalky groomers. I even got into to some bumps that were perfect. And the Slide side view down into the valley? Get outa heah! Several last runs with @Philpug, @Jasmine, and John.
20191206_112249.jpg

Last edited:
TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
After all the hype about Friday morning as incoming storm day and wind holds, etc... Turned into a great bluebird day.
:doh:
There's definitely something coming. Wind was picking up across the top at Rose.

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier
After all the hype about Friday morning as incoming storm day and wind holds, etc... Turned into a great bluebird day.
:doh:
There's definitely something coming. Wind was picking up across the top at Rose.

I'm sitting here in the valley thinking, "the reason I stopped running dedicated winter tires and switched to fancy all-weather tires is because it's currently sunny and 70 degrees outside with a winter storm warning coming into effect in locations 45 miles NE." It did just start getting pretty breezy here.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Todays snow was smashing...in more ways than one. I had a @Rich Peters moment where myself and another skier converged and BAM, we both went rolling for a bit. I am a little sore but will be OK. It was one of those crashes that just happened. Neither of us saw each other until we collided. Fortunately our momentum was going the same direction which softened the impact. Shit happens out there so lets just be careful.

Last edited by a moderator:

textrovert

Reelin' in the years
Skier
Todays snow was smashing...in more ways than one. I had a @Rich Peters moment where myself and another skier converged and BAM, we both went rolling for a bit. I am a little sore but will be OK. It was one of those crashes that just happened. Neither of us saw each other until we collided. Fortunately our momentum was going the same direction which softened the impact. Shit happens out there so lets just be careful.
Glad no one hurt!

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Were you wearing red, or gray? :P

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I finally got to pick up someone else's skis instead of them getting mine! I'd rather no one have to pick up anyone's gear, though. A little scary but everyone was OK.

Eric267

Gettin after it
Skier
Healthy lookin 3-4' of settled base at the top of N*. Got to suck to be the dude trying to cut it with the blower 5 days after the storm cycle! image.jpeg

Groomers better today than at Alpine but off piste was better yesterday, much less thick and grabby at Alpine. Should have gone to squaw today but was slacking this morning. Word is it was poppin.

No sign of the storm here as of yet..

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Yes, I noticed surprisingly little grooming at Alpine. Especially on Roundhouse. Rain just started in foothills- Nevada City..
Should arrive Donner soon.

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
KW opened Chair 10 Friday. Skied just 3.5 hours midday looping Short Spoke off 11 non stop that I was content to remain at just cranking turns on this day 1 for sake of easing this old body into the season. Everything off Cornice was bumped up but I left it all alone. Very windy at the ridge line from the south all day with huge snow flags up into the sky providing blow in. Now midnight, storm front was a dud as models embarrass forecasters haha. Looked over-baked to me yesterday and was why I skipped Thursday. Front came in stretched weak to south of SF North Bay with low staying out west over the Pacific decoupled. Core low circulation may develop Saturday before moving SE into state but won't be as forecast. Looking forward to skiing a couple stronger days more after the weekend. Great to be skiing again. Enough base already to open up the rest of the mountain. They've already groomed up to still closed Caples Crest and chair 3, so that is likely to open this weekend.

Last edited:

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
Caples-120719p.jpg

Caples-120719t.jpg

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/dynamicapp/QueryF?s=cap

Station IDCAPElevation8000.0 ft
River BasinAMERICAN RCountyALPINE
Hydrologic AreaSACRAMENTO RIVERNearby CityKIRKWOOD
Latitude38.71°Longitude-120.042°
OperatorUS Bureau of ReclamationData Collection
Select RAIN

Graph page opens for PRECIPITATION, ACCUMULATED - INCHES

Change Span to 9
Get custom plot

That shows 1.44 inches in the seasonal gauge at 29-Nov just before Thanksgiving when all slopes were dirt rock ground. Then over 1.8 days raising that to 6.25 or 4.45 liquid inches. Then a modest 0.3 over 4.3 days for 6.55 and at 5:30pm Saturday another 0.70 inches for a 7.30 total or 5.50 inches since Nov 28. And notice how temperatures at 8000 feet for today's storm are right at the freezing point that is not good for lower elevation Tahoe slopes. Also note how for the last 3 hours the trend is down with the temp now 30F when the main rear frontal boundary is just getting into the Tahoe region for the strongest precip of the storm. In about an hour it will clear San Jose with open starry skies. The small increase of 0.51 inches on 29-Nov was that really cold storm at Thanksgiving that was bigger further northeast and on eastern Sierra Nevada slope

Last edited:
TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Mt. Rose at a little after 7am 12/8. Note the snow thrower in the bottom right corner! More fresh.
Screen Shot 2019-12-08 at 7.09.15 AM.png

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Not a bad day at Mt. Rose with @AKMINK. Roxa R3 boots and Liberty Evolv 90 skis are kicking butt in chopped up not-quite-powder-not-quite-cement. We split a breakfast burrito earlier and chicken fingers and fries. With pass total cost? About $14. Heck of a deal! 20191208_112117.jpg 20191208_102815.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online