• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.
TS
kitchener

kitchener

Still At Large
Skier
We were out this past Sunday (my first this season) -- is it my imagination or were there a lot more trails open by this time last year? Despite all those new snow guns, they can only make snow on a couple trails at a time? Or is new ownership having trouble...

asnowmobiler

Advanced Beginner
Skier
We were out this past Sunday (my first this season) -- is it my imagination or were there a lot more trails open by this time last year? Despite all those new snow guns, they can only make snow on a couple trails at a time? Or is new ownership having trouble...
The weather has been an issue but they do seem to be blowing less even when the weather is right.
I'm probably wrong but I'd swear they had a bunch of the bronze colored snow gun nozzles, now, not so many??
No new owners, the deal did not go through:ogcool:

TS
kitchener

kitchener

Still At Large
Skier
Yeah, in for a penny, in for a pound -- I'd think "100% snow making" means 100%, not 30% -- if 22 runs can have man made snow on them, why not all? Or a significant amount more than is already there...

The deal did not go through? I thought it was the new owners that drug tested and weeded out so many employees?

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
They had a lot more open a few weeks ago. It's slowly deteriorated. I would guess that the small windows only allowed them to concentrate on a few runs. 100% only means all trails have the ability. They still have limitations on water and air pumping capacity. Someone would have to point out an area than can blast every run 24/7, I doubt there are any

TS
kitchener

kitchener

Still At Large
Skier
So they can only blow snow on a couple trails at one time? (I have no technical knowledge of snow making)

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier

I was under the impression that they were being slow about making snow too. Found out through insiders there was an infrastructure problem that hampered snow making operations at a crucial time. Its not something the mountain would advertise but upon finding out I'm not as critical of them as I was. Yes they are behind but I think they are starting to kick it up a bit even with the weather being no friend. The system is very powerful (had a tour of it with the former head of mt ops a couple of years ago) and being improved yearly so given the proper weather conditions I expect them to really light it up and show off some of that new equipment.

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
So they can only blow snow on a couple trails at one time? (I have no technical knowledge of snow making)
I don't have first hand knowledge of their infrastructure, but it takes water and compressed air to run the snow guns (fan guns may not need the air, but then you need electricity, so that may not be available everywhere on the mountain). They usually have to choose between doing a lot of snow on a few trails (typical early season to build a good base) or a smaller amount over the whole mountain (maintenance mid-season). Since it seems they had some "infrastructure issues", it sounds like maybe they had a compressor or pump failure, just when they needed the capacity the most. IIRC, they had an issue like that in the past...but since I've been skiing there 40 years, it may be long past! LMAO

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
I don't have first hand knowledge of their infrastructure, but it takes water and compressed air to run the snow guns (fan guns may not need the air, but then you need electricity, so that may not be available everywhere on the mountain). They usually have to choose between doing a lot of snow on a few trails (typical early season to build a good base) or a smaller amount over the whole mountain (maintenance mid-season). Since it seems they had some "infrastructure issues", it sounds like maybe they had a compressor or pump failure, just when they needed the capacity the most. IIRC, they had an issue like that in the past...but since I've been skiing there 40 years, it may be long past! LMAO

Your diagnosis of the issue is spot on. Was up there this afternoon and the snow makers were moving about the mountain getting ready to light it up when things permit. Actually the snow that's down holds up quite nicely away from the weekend crowds. It was a nice afternoon.

asnowmobiler

Advanced Beginner
Skier
I’m off Friday and trying to decide where to go. I was planning on trying Greek Peak On the WNEP Ski card but it looks like they don’t have much open.
Anyone been to Elk recently?

Scrundy

I like beer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Been at Elk Saturday going tomorrow night, hasn’t been great not that they haven’t tried this weather sucks. Skied Greek last night and was the best conditions I’ve skied all season. There’s many ways to ski Greek and more options but cover is thin if you like to play off in the bumps hence my core shot.
Elk has been sugar for the past week and a half but if you catch it in the morning it will be silky smooth and heard from friend it skied well yesterday. By the time I get there at night it’s trashed but I love it that way. He likes smooth grooming so he gets there early.
Depends on what your looking for, Greek is more of a skiers hill more ways to play and elk is known for their grooming. Think you would enjoy either.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Going tomorrow.

Was at Elk this am....as expected at Elk, snow conditions were in very good shape....hard packed gun powder. They are blowing a lot of snow on the right side of mountain, so barring a big warm up/rain....the trail count will be going up soon. (forecast is rain this weekend....lol)

The thing is...there are really only several trails open....(Delaware, Slalom, Susquehanna, Tunkhannock, Tioga, Tioga Spur and Lackawanna Spur and West Slope......Quad lift was not running.....so the hamstring killer Double lifts were running, and damn they are slow......stopping a lot. We basically lapped Tunk, Wissahickon, Slalom and Susquehanna til about 1:00 and then had lunch at Halfway House. It was a good day....better than working.

Last edited:

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
Beginning to think that in spite of the weather report I just might get both days in this weekend. Hourly forecasts are showing pretty much nothing till 4 pm Sat. (I'll be deeply settled in the bar by that time and any precip moving out by 8 am Sunday morning. Little spring action, too bad no bumps (maybe we can make them) .

And just to add to that a new route down the mountain opened up today and from being there yesterday there are several more that are ready but they are keeping then in piles till after this rain and thaw.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online