• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
I went to Mountain Creek today for the first time, wont be going back.

There are 3 ski areas under the 1 hour mark from my house (thus meeting the criteria of the home bump) Mountain Creek, Shawnee Mt and Camelback. There's a reason why we chose Camelback.

BTW Blue and Elk are 2 fine places, lots of things to like about both and I really enjoyed skiing them both 3 days a season when my son was in Para (Penn Alpine Racing Association). Unfortunately neither fit that >1 hr criteria and if I go to hit the road for skiing these days its either up to Vermont or New Hampshire or (and this is happening more often now) down to Newark Liberty Airport and out to DIA.

asnowmobiler

Advanced Beginner
Skier
Blue is my home mountain , skied there 12 times this year and needed something different. I used my buddies WNEP Ski card, so it didn’t cost me anything but gas.
Hitting Blue tomorrow before the rain starts.

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
Well, some good news for the Poconos...it looks like a fairly major snowstorm will hit the area Saturday, with possibilities of nearly a foot of snow (we can but hope...). Sunday should be pretty nice, if you beat the crowds. Interestingly, just a bit further north or south, they are not predicting quite as much.

TS
kitchener

kitchener

Still At Large
Skier
Good to hear. My crew will be there Sunday -- anyone who'd like to meet up for a few runs, PM me and we can coordinate.

Speaking of, my 14 yo's ski buddy can't make it -- anyone have a teen he can borrow to keep him company lol? Keep in mind my son has a sticker on the back of his helmet: "Don't follow me. You won't make it." (more jest than truth -- it's my 20 yo I don't want to follow any more)

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
More importantly the assault will start Thursday night when the temps finally crash. From the looks of things a pro longed assault as well. Early season problems aside Camelback was starting to show its fire power before the thaw and I expect they will get whats open resurfaced and open more terrain pretty quickly. The natural will do great things for the surface. Will probably do après in the Thirsty Camel if anyones around. (look for a NY Mets cap)

TS
kitchener

kitchener

Still At Large
Skier
Will probably do après in the Thirsty Camel if anyones around. (look for a NY Mets cap)

Lime green Marmot jacket, black helmet (with a pugski sticker on back), with tan pants -- probably be there with my cousin (I'll be the good-looking chap).

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
More importantly the assault will start Thursday night when the temps finally crash. From the looks of things a pro longed assault as well. Early season problems aside Camelback was starting to show its fire power before the thaw and I expect they will get whats open resurfaced and open more terrain pretty quickly. The natural will do great things for the surface. Will probably do après in the Thirsty Camel if anyones around. (look for a NY Mets cap)
Problem is with the cold temps, the winds will be kicking up until Friday afternoon.

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
Problem is with the cold temps, the winds will be kicking up until Friday afternoon.
Winds shouldn't be too much of a problem with snow making, they know how to deal with that, temps drop, guns on. Eager for them to get working on Rodo and hopefully get some bumps up. Lift operations may be another issue but as of now they still have fixed grip back up. (rumors are that may change some in the future)

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
The wind was absolutely ripping last night, but it's calmed down now and damn cold! Still looks like a good 6" or more on Saturday...hopefully any changeover to rain will be minimal. Looking like a good weekend for anyone getting out. Wish I was, but I'm getting a tooth pulled this afternoon...just my luck! :geek:

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
The assault began last night too. 12 trails under the guns as we speak, resurfacing and more terrain promised for the weekend. Going for the opening bell tomorrow 7:30 am for 1st tracks. A significant amount of the mountain should be open by next weekend. (maybe some bumps CBK)

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
Camelback was packed this weekend, as crowded as I've seen in several years. Reading the northeast thread looks like Vermont was packed as well. Good weekend for the ski industry. The other side of skiing (après) took a higher order this weekend. We did get out for 1st tracks Saturday morning and got a good 3 hours in before the crush (at which point we quit) but after a good afternoon of après , band and dinner didn't get out till later this morning. After about 4-inches the surface was staying pretty good today but the lines were more then we could tolerate so it was home at noon. Still I am glad to see the area (the industry) making money.

TS
kitchener

kitchener

Still At Large
Skier
Had the same experience Sunday. Conditions were great for First Traxx but by 11, we could no longer endeavor to persevere through the lift lines that were only increasing.

It’s strange to me that the new management didn’t or couldn’t fire up the old fixed lifts on such a busy day. Strange that on a cold day the snow guns weren’t running on any of the many prominent areas that remain closed (no guns were running at all). Could they be “house-poor”?

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
Had the same experience Sunday. Conditions were great for First Traxx but by 11, we could no longer endeavor to persevere through the lift lines that were only increasing.

It’s strange to me that the new management didn’t or couldn’t fire up the old fixed lifts on such a busy day. Strange that on a cold day the snow guns weren’t running on any of the many prominent areas that remain closed (no guns were running at all). Could they be “house-poor”?

We don't think they have the personnel to get the back up lifts running. Word is a bunch of them are coming out in the future anyways or at least we are to expect some replacements.

Snow making was all about the temps. (or wet bulb temps) They were firing away Saturday and I expected to start up again last night. I saw a snow making crew walking around on Pharoh so I'm assuming they were looking to start on that. Pocono Raceway has got to be done this week as they are having a race next weekend. Birches looked just about ready to go and Big Pocono can probably be finished this week. They are scratching and clawing their way to 100%.

PS Guns are on right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.