• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ForeverSki

Getting on the lift
Skier
Skied WT today - ghost town. Direct to lift every run. From web cams, yesterday was just as empty. There were a few peeps buying food, so they pulled in some minimal coin.

Local skiing ending with a whimper this year; may get an Ikon day at Snowshoe.
Hey, I was there this morning! Slushy, cruddy, lots of brown spots. I thought about not buying and eating at the lodge, but I couldn’t resist their BLT.

Dean

Lawn chair sledder extraordinaire
Skier
Skied WT today - ghost town. Direct to lift every run. From web cams, yesterday was just as empty. There were a few peeps buying food, so they pulled in some minimal coin.

Yeah I'm itchin to get a day or 2 in @ SS. Even the NE gathering is tempting...

SargeSki

Booting up
Skier

Ditto for us there today. We got there early and punched out around 1130 when everything became pure slush. Same experience with direct to lift off every run. Actually thought the slopes felt pretty good until about 10. Kind of fun to rip down Fanciful or Snowdancer with no traffic for a change.

skinavy

Booting up
Skier
What is this slush you speak of? Liberty managed to avoid the grabby slush phase, went from frozen gran to creamy, although not quite corn. Certainly heavy but not the stuff that stops your skis and makes you test the rear binding DIN. Once you jettisoned the "pretty turns" idea and just laughed at kicking up snow in a tshirt, it was great.

THANK YOU to the crew who's been doing informal bump lessons all season- they cut in a gorgeously manicured line far left on Eastwind. Plenty of other well-shaped lines on there, too- and with all of like 37 people back there, tons of space and time to play. Lower Eastwind, not so well-shaped... although the bare spots and grassy troughs are just a facet of spring skiing.

There were a bunch of younger people on tele's for awhile on Saturday for World Tele Day; some were having a tailgater at the South Pole, and someone brought tele loaners for people to try it. Lots of fun.

SargeSki

Booting up
Skier
What is this slush you speak of? Liberty managed to avoid the grabby slush phase, went from frozen gran to creamy, although not quite corn. Certainly heavy but not the stuff that stops your skis and makes you test the rear binding DIN. Once you jettisoned the "pretty turns" idea and just laughed at kicking up snow in a tshirt, it was great.

THANK YOU to the crew who's been doing informal bump lessons all season- they cut in a gorgeously manicured line far left on Eastwind. Plenty of other well-shaped lines on there, too- and with all of like 37 people back there, tons of space and time to play. Lower Eastwind, not so well-shaped... although the bare spots and grassy troughs are just a facet of spring skiing.

There were a bunch of younger people on tele's for awhile on Saturday for World Tele Day; some were having a tailgater at the South Pole, and someone brought tele loaners for people to try it. Lots of fun.
Creamy lasted only about an hour before it turned to slush. Before I punched out, I ran up to Snowpark with the thought of getting a short high speed pass to finish the season (HA!). I blew by so many beginners at a dead stop who couldn't figure out how to get going -- it was Italian Ice quality snow. Snowpark looked like mini-Moguls at noon, no clear paths and piled up snow everywhere.

We jump between Whitetail/Liberty every weekend. I've always felt like Whitetail has the better snowmaking capability but that there Southern Exposure erodes quality a bit faster.

Oh well -- we won't ski next weekend but we'll head-up to Liberty for the Pond Skim, always fun to watch. Maybe if CVR can hold out we'll make a run to WV, looks unlikely though, as Mother Nature seems to want Spring to arrive in the Mid-Atlantic.

JohnL

Working and turning
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Creamy lasted only about an hour before it turned to slush. Before I punched out, I ran up to Snowpark with the thought of getting a short high speed pass to finish the season (HA!). I blew by so many beginners at a dead stop who couldn't figure out how to get going -- it was Italian Ice quality snow. Snowpark looked like mini-Moguls at noon, no clear paths and piled up snow everywhere.

We jump between Whitetail/Liberty every weekend. I've always felt like Whitetail has the better snowmaking capability but that there Southern Exposure erodes quality a bit faster.

Oh well -- we won't ski next weekend but we'll head-up to Liberty for the Pond Skim, always fun to watch. Maybe if CVR can hold out we'll make a run to WV, looks unlikely though, as Mother Nature seems to want Spring to arrive in the Mid-Atlantic.

I skied from 9:30 to about 12:15, so I missed the likely early decent surface. (Was pounding out about 9-10 runs an hour.) Snow was very weird, the classic WT mashed potatoes weren't served up. Rather, more like shaved ice, but with no permafrost base underneath (like you get mid-winter.) Got wetter as the day went on, but I left before mashed potatoes. Very skiable, but a bit tricky since the piles were variable and tip deflection was a worry. Pure mashed can be easier to ski since your skis are always in the snow. Unfortunately, no bumps to be found, which would have made Exhibition more entertaining. I don't think they had enough snow to let bumps form.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
IMG_20200309_110938.jpg
I posted one like this last season, but I took this one today in my community. NJ has been too warm this winter.

Uncle-A

Skier
Blue Mountain PA only open Saturday and Sunday, cancelled a lot of end of season activities.

SCWVA

Spent a little time on the mountain
Skier
WISP is offering to exchange any unused 2019/20 four pack tickets for 2020/21 tickets with some limitations.

From WISP:

Friday, April 03, 2020
Coronavirus Mission: Four'dable 4-Pack Resolution

The coronavirus has disrupted life for pretty much everyone around the world, and our resorts are among the affected operations. The corona-crisis only impacted a small portion of our season, but it was enough that some of those who purchased our Mission: Four’dable 4-packs (M:4) might not have had a chance to use all of the lift tickets included.
In the past, any unused lift tickets (including Mission: Four’dable) have expired at the end of a ski season but because of the extenuating circumstances involved with the coronavirus, we have decided to allow up to two unredeemed M:4 tickets from this season to be used next season before (or on) Dec 24, 2020. Those qualifying tickets from this year will need to be taken to the ticket office after November 1, 2020, along with your ID to be exchanged for tickets that will work next season.
Alternatively, because of the unprecedented interruptions caused by the coronavirus, up to two unredeemed M:4 tickets from this season can be appended to a new M:4 purchased for next year and may be used anytime next season. Those tickets qualifying for exchange should be taken to the ticket office after November 1, 2020, along with your ID to be added to the newly purchased M:4 for the 2020/2021 season.
The 2019/2020 season had some great conditions, and some challenges, but we managed to get in the vast majority of a normal season even with the coronavirus caused shut down. Most importantly, we noticed time and again families, friends, and even those who enjoy being solo on the slopes, enjoying the improvements at Wisp Resort and being out in the fresh mountain air more than ever before. It’s unfortunate the coronavirus has been a major disruption for everyone, including the entire ski industry, and we hope this one-time extension of the M:4 program helps ease the inconvenience a bit.
While normally all M:4 tickets strictly expire at the end the season for which they were issued, the corona-crisis is anything but normal. Allowing the extension of up to two of the unused tickets is our way of helping you get the most out of your time on the mountain. We value you as a customer, we appreciate you as a patron, and we look forward to seeing you on the slopes at Wisp next season.
Stay healthy and ski safe!

Last edited:

MarkP

Saturday, and Saturday, and Saturday...
Skier
WISP is offering to exchange any unused 2019/20 four pack tickets for 2020/21 tickets with some limitations.

From WISP:

Friday, April 03, 2020
Coronavirus Mission: Four'dable 4-Pack Resolution

The coronavirus has disrupted life for pretty much everyone around the world, and our resorts are among the affected operations. The corona-crisis only impacted a small portion of our season, but it was enough that some of those who purchased our Mission: Four’dable 4-packs (M:4) might not have had a chance to use all of the lift tickets included.
In the past, any unused lift tickets (including Mission: Four’dable) have expired at the end of a ski season but because of the extenuating circumstances involved with the coronavirus, we have decided to allow up to two unredeemed M:4 tickets from this season to be used next season before (or on) Dec 24, 2020. Those qualifying tickets from this year will need to be taken to the ticket office after November 1, 2020, along with your ID to be exchanged for tickets that will work next season.
Alternatively, because of the unprecedented interruptions caused by the coronavirus, up to two unredeemed M:4 tickets from this season can be appended to a new M:4 purchased for next year and may be used anytime next season. Those tickets qualifying for exchange should be taken to the ticket office after November 1, 2020, along with your ID to be added to the newly purchased M:4 for the 2020/2021 season.
The 2019/2020 season had some great conditions, and some challenges, but we managed to get in the vast majority of a normal season even with the coronavirus caused shut down. Most importantly, we noticed time and again families, friends, and even those who enjoy being solo on the slopes, enjoying the improvements at Wisp Resort and being out in the fresh mountain air more than ever before. It’s unfortunate the coronavirus has been a major disruption for everyone, including the entire ski industry, and we hope this one-time extension of the M:4 program helps ease the inconvenience a bit.
While normally all M:4 tickets strictly expire at the end the season for which they were issued, the corona-crisis is anything but normal. Allowing the extension of up to two of the unused tickets is our way of helping you get the most out of your time on the mountain. We value you as a customer, we appreciate you as a patron, and we look forward to seeing you on the slopes at Wisp next season.
Stay healthy and ski safe!

Nice gesture on their part... and smart.
This should sooth some disgruntled folk, and get them to come to the resort early season or go in for another M:4, getting them to the slopes up to 6 times.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Signs of Normalcy? SKI SWAP WOOT WOOT!

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
First potential snow potentially hitting as soon as 2 weekends from now in WV / NC

View attachment 111537
Only once in my entire lifetime have I ever skied in October. Looking back to that mid 1970s week Buck Hill actually opened for a few days seems even more remarkable tiday.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
So...anyone remember the Hurricane Sandy snowfall? October all the way through mid-November.

526313_4253418051122_1542660120_n.jpg

Uncle-A

Skier
So...anyone remember the Hurricane Sandy snowfall? October all the way through mid-November.

526313_4253418051122_1542660120_n.jpg
I remember Super Storm Sandy, it put a foot of water in every room of my shore house. It took about two years and a lot of money to fix everything. Please don't remind me of that storm.

SCWVA

Spent a little time on the mountain
Skier
Some Sandy pics I took once the sun came out. Great skiing for sure.

WG-1 11-08-12.jpg WG-3 11-08-12.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online