• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

river-z

searching for seasons
Skier
Question - if you have stayed at the Davison Street guesthouse ... Is there a refrigerator to save food and if so, are others respectful of that?
I've stayed there a few times. Yes, there is a large refrigerator. I didn't have a problem with anyone taking stuff. There's also an open set of shelves to put non-refrigerator items.

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I've stayed there a few times. Yes, there is a large refrigerator. I didn't have a problem with anyone taking stuff. There's also an open set of shelves to put non-refrigerator items.
Thanks. My son and his friends are staying there at the end of February so they were wondering.

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Question - if you have stayed at the Davison Street guesthouse ... Is there a refrigerator to save food and if so, are others respectful of that?
We just stayed last weekend, our second time. They have a regular kitchen and full size fridge. We haven't had any issue with people taking our food. PM if you have more questions (or just text me!)

Pat AKA mustski

Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
We just stayed last weekend, our second time. They have a regular kitchen and full size fridge. We haven't had any issue with people taking our food. PM if you have more questions (or just text me!)
I may just text you for fun! Miss you. We are planning a spring trip to Squalpine and Mammoth. We are staying in the RV park. You should come! The little could camp with us for a night if you wanted a romantic evening somewhere.

Everybody should come!

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I may just text you for fun! Miss you. We are planning a spring trip to Squalpine and Mammoth. We are staying in the RV park. You should come! The little could camp with us for a night if you wanted a romantic evening somewhere.

Everybody should come!
We've been to MM a few times already, and are heading back this month, 22nd - 24th, staying at the cabin at the RV park.

As for April/May we are going to be at MM 5/1- 5/3.

Pat AKA mustski

Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
We've been to MM a few times already, and are heading back this month, 22nd - 24th, staying at the cabin at the RV park.

As for April/May we are going to be at MM 5/1- 5/3.
Dang. We arrive on the 3rd. Hmmm. Let me see if we can get in there a day or two early!

cosmoliu

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Sat up tonight with some friends, one of whom has worked for the mountain 20+ years, remembering some facts from Dave's incredible life. Of course, he made many significant contributions to skiing as we know it today. And in the spirit of sharing, he didn't patent any of them. A couple of things I didn't know before tonight: He invented the lift station which can be adjusted upward as the snow pack increases. Any of you remember the old Chair 1 where you had to side step up to load? Another thing he invented- the winch cat, developed so that Cornice could be groomed. Truly a visionary.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
@Stephen, @WadeHoliday, and I spent Tuesday and Wednesday at the on-snow industry demo. Conditions are low tide variable ranging from firm early morning groomers to bullet proof bumps to soft spring-like snow in the afternoon. It surprised me to see snow making going at the top of the Stump Alley lift and at the top of the park under the gondola.

Getting into some of the runs off Follow Me required rock and stump dodging as well avoiding shark fins and chips once on the runs. We skied down one small natural half pipe that was frozen on the right side and super soft on the left that led to an open low angle run heading down to Cloud Nine. It was as hard as anything I've experienced since skiing in the west.

All that said, we had a good time getting on a lot of skis in variable conditions on the hard side of the spectrum. As with the Tahoe area any new snow will be greatly appreciated.
20200212_104752.jpg 20200211_091239.jpg 20200212_083759.jpg
20200212_110157.jpg
20200212_104801.jpg
20200211_124612.jpg

Last edited:

USCskibum

Booting up
Skier
@Stephen, @WadeHoliday, and I spent Tuesday and Wednesday at the on-snow industry demo. Conditions are low tide variable ranging from firm early morning groomers to bullet proof bumps to soft spring-like snow in the afternoon. It surprised me to see snow making going at the top of the Stump Alley lift and at the top of the park under the gondola.

Getting into some of the runs off Follow Me required rock and stump dodging as well avoiding shark fins and chips once on the runs. We skied down one small natural half pipe that was frozen on the right side and super soft on the left that led to an open low angle run heading down to Cloud Nine. It was as hard as anything I've experienced since skiing in the west.

All that said, we had a good time getting on a lot of skis in variable conditions on the hard side of the spectrum. As with the Tahoe area any new snow will be greatly appreciated.
View attachment 93578 View attachment 93579 View attachment 93580
View attachment 93581
View attachment 93582
View attachment 93583

Fingers crossed that a couple storms can make their way thru in the next week or two, but so far it looks like late March early April conditions may be rough...what skis did you guys test out? What worked...what didn’t given the conditions?

Pat AKA mustski

Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks everyone for your responses on the Davison Street Guest House. It worked perfectly for my son and his friends. They had a great time and didn't mind staying 4 to a room in close quarters. Ah ... the joys of youth!

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Fingers crossed that a couple storms can make their way thru in the next week or two, but so far it looks like late March early April conditions may be rough...what skis did you guys test out? What worked...what didn’t given the conditions?
Reports will be coming but pretty much everything with a carving pedigree worked well. Augment AM88 was great, Stockli AR, Salomon S Force 11 are three that come to mind.

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Skied June on Saturday as some light flakes fell. Stayed on the groomers, but it wasn't crowded at all.
20200222_100241.jpg

On Sunday we skied Mammoth. Groomers and park laps. Bluebird day.
20200223_102809.jpg

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Happened to be looking at Mammoth conditions for a possible spring trip. And.. ugh. February 2019 vs 2020:

Screenshot_20200229-105107_OpenSnow.jpg Screenshot_20200229-105225_OpenSnow.jpg

Rostapher

All Praise Ullr
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I know. We are all hoping for a March miracle.
March at Mammoth started about as good as we could hope for!

We skied Saturday, Leap Day, and Sunday, March 1st.

Saturday was hard, fast, crusty with a bit of loose snow here and there. We ended up skiing Chair 23 a lot as Cornice bowl still had some snow on it. Tried Scottys too, but it was pretty much skied off.

Sunday was a complete 180 and actually ended up being a sleeper chowder day! The mtn reported 8” overnight and it snowed off and on for most of the day. The storm started out warm overnight and got colder throughout the day, so I think we got a right side up storm, as there were tons of dendrites falling by the afternoon.

We started out on Chair 5, as it was the only upper mtn lift to open in the AM, and lapped it during the morning, blasting through cut up powder, while some of the heavily trafficked areas got hard & icy between the push piles.

It started to clear out mid-day as I think people were getting tired skiing the heavy-ish snow and they were heading home. In the afternoon we lapped Broadway lift as there was tons of soft snow on the wall & glades area with some piles nearly boot top high. Finally, we headed over to chair 25, but the cover was very thin and there wasn’t nearly as much snow. Around 3 pm we called it a day as legs were shot from skiing uneven powder push piles all day. Overall, it was a surprisingly excellent day, especially compared to the low expectations going in.

Here’s to hoping March continues to bring more of the same! :snow: :snow::snow:

Edit: Oh & I got much need new boots! Many thanks to John, Kevin & Van at Footloose Sports for a great experience.

0196B8D5-141C-49EC-9742-05A98AD92985.jpeg 6E30F690-8A0E-4D1C-972B-211EC90D5752.jpeg 192D9B2A-72B1-4406-9909-B662D4179CAF.jpeg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor