• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Bare bones and slush bumps all afternoon.

Hike a closed bump run (bear trap) to "taste the sun baked corn". It was sweet.
Strange that the run down is so short, while the hike up is so long. I need a break between lift towers to catch my breath.

My face betrays the morning mist and fog added to by the afternoon sun.

What a life!

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I was at Killington on Sunday for what was likely my last day of the season. Snow was great, no lines and easy turns. I was there the weekend before as well and I was surprised at how much snow they had lost. It was a great season and I can only hope next year is similar.

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Grabbed a few friends making the quick road trip up to Da Bush for day of Spring bumping fun. Getting a whole day hanging with my mogul coach made for some sore legs. A couple Mad River Valley locals rounded out our posse. Perfect weather with the local crowd celebrating Gaper Day. Love the 10-5 mid week lift schedule. Sun dipped behind the mountains at 6:30 breaking up the large tailgate party. Steins, The Mall, Lexis Twist, Ripcord and Paradise Love Sugarbush springtime bumping.

IMG_5462.jpg IMG_5457.jpg

James

Out There
Instructor
It's amazing how much more snow Stratton has on it then Magic. Drving by on 11/100. Even Bromley would be kind of skiable. Maybe not after Sat. Stratton, Okemo, totally skinable with plenty of coverage.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
It's amazing how much more snow Stratton has on it then Magic. Drving by on 11/100. Even Bromley would be kind of skiable. Maybe not after Sat. Stratton, Okemo, totally skinable with plenty of coverage.

True. Magic has coverage higher up. Talisman looks great on the top half. Bromley looks great at the summit. I I'm going to buy straps for my skis so I can walk up.

Last edited:

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Killington is vanishing right before our eyes. Wildcat will be announcing this week what their future plans are. We still have our peak passes so that might be an option. Sugarbush is still kicking so another consideration. I'm about ready to embrace hiking/biking season but not quite ready to give it up yet. I'm definitely going to buy a strap for my skis so that I can do some hiking/skiing next season because Bromley still has hike to decent coverage. Stratton and Okemo as well.

Not sure what you call it but I'd like to strap my skis to my back so that I can hike to ski the upper mountains. What is this strap called and can anyone recommend a good one.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I don't know of any strap that you are asking about. What people do is fasten their skis to a backpack and hike up. You can wear your ski boots to hike or if the back pack is big enough, you put your boots in the pack and carry them up. Switch from hiking boots to ski boots when you hit the snow (or at the top of the run, if that makes more sense).

When a strap is mentioned, its more of a short strap that will hold the skis to the pack (there are packs made with built in straps, which is what you want to buy if you don't already have a pack) or there are straps that hold the tips of your skis together if you carry them A-frame style. The straps aren't anything special, a bungee cord will do. There is one strap, Volle makes it that is popular, here is a link:

https://www.amazon.com/Voile-Straps...ocphy=9001928&hvtargid=pla-570138020389&psc=1

61dPivZUBpL._SL1500_.jpg

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
There are also ski carry straps to use without a backpack... I don't know brands or recommendations though. Like these :

ski_straps_for_backcountry__31509.1418843134.jpg

QjMxNUNGQ0NDMzJFQjkxMTYwNzA6ZjE1ODI1MzU5ZTM5OTFjNmQ0NDFiNmFkOTU1MTE0NTA6Ojo6OjA__14071.1509562446.jpg

I know there have been threads on them somewhere. And yeah, there are backpacks that you can strap skis to as well :

The-Best-Snowboarding-and-Ski-Backpacks-of-2017-Ski-and-Snowboard-Carry.jpg

Eos-30-Skis.jpg

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I don't know of any strap that you are asking about. What people do is fasten their skis to a backpack and hike up. You can wear your ski boots to hike or if the back pack is big enough, you put your boots in the pack and carry them up. Switch from hiking boots to ski boots when you hit the snow (or at the top of the run, if that makes more sense).

When a strap is mentioned, its more of a short strap that will hold the skis to the pack (there are packs made with built in straps, which is what you want to buy if you don't already have a pack) or there are straps that hold the tips of your skis together if you carry them A-frame style. The straps aren't anything special, a bungee cord will do. There is one strap, Volle makes it that is popular, here is a link:

https://www.amazon.com/Voile-Straps...ocphy=9001928&hvtargid=pla-570138020389&psc=1

61dPivZUBpL._SL1500_.jpg

Thanks I saw something like this

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/254080495950

However, I forgot about my ski boots doh so a pack makes more sense. Is there a backpack you can recommend?

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
There are also ski carry straps to use without a backpack... I don't know brands or recommendations though. Like these :

QjMxNUNGQ0NDMzJFQjkxMTYwNzA6ZjE1ODI1MzU5ZTM5OTFjNmQ0NDFiNmFkOTU1MTE0NTA6Ojo6OjA__14071.1509562446.jpg

I know there have been threads on them somewhere. And yeah, there are backpacks that you can strap skis to as well :

Eos-30-Skis.jpg

Those were what I was thinking of but need to put my boots somewhere so I think a backpack with ski attachment would be best.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have hiked up to Tuckermans a number of times with my ski gear in a pack. The basic straps are interesting, but I wonder about the comfort (lack of, really) of having your skis up against your back. If middle of winter with heavy coat, ect... maybe OK. For spring, the backpack adds a lot of cushioning between your skis and your back.

There is a small day pack that I have seen advertised and reviewed on this site, I think it is made by Kulkea. Osprey and Dakine make good packs. I go to REI for gear like that, they have good stuff and its reasonably priced, especially if on sale.

I don't know a particular pack to recommend, (I bought a used Gregory Targhee 32 pack which I love, $189 new, for AT skiing, overkill for a short hike), but I would recommend getting a combo day hike and hydration bladder pack. Its really nice to have the weight of the water on your back and have a hose on your backpack shoulder strap so you can drink whenever you want without stopping.

sparty

Out on the slopes
Skier
Another consideration if you're planning to lug ski gear (particularly if including boots): a lot of the smaller packs have straps that will let you attach skis, but they don't have the pack structure to handle normal hiking stuff (water, first-aid kit, layers, etc.) plus the 25-30 pounds of ski gear (assuming 10 lbs boots, 5 lbs bindings, 10 lbs of skis; AT-oriented stuff is lighter, but unless you're gram-counting, not by a whole lot).

I really like my Patagonia Snow Drifter 40L for that reason. It's big for hiking for a few turns at a closed ski area, but it cinches down pretty well and has the support to handle ski gear readily. If I'm going further afield and need a full backcountry load, it's big enough to handle that, too (if you pack lighter than I do, you could probably get it to work for a multi-day trip).

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

Eos-30-Skis.jpg
I made a standalone strap myself from webbing and a couple buckles. Initially it worked very well a d let me avoid the bulk and weight of a pack for opportu rustic in-bounds hikes. (Taos ridge, Jackson headwall, etc.)
But then I changed skis and the balance was off -- lots of trouble more recently.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Another consideration if you're planning to lug ski gear (particularly if including boots): a lot of the smaller packs have straps that will let you attach skis, but they don't have the pack structure to handle normal hiking stuff (water, first-aid kit, layers, etc.) plus the 25-30 pounds of ski gear (assuming 10 lbs boots, 5 lbs bindings, 10 lbs of skis; AT-oriented stuff is lighter, but unless you're gram-counting, not by a whole lot).

I really like my Patagonia Snow Drifter 40L for that reason. It's big for hiking for a few turns at a closed ski area, but it cinches down pretty well and has the support to handle ski gear readily. If I'm going further afield and need a full backcountry load, it's big enough to handle that, too (if you pack lighter than I do, you could probably get it to work for a multi-day trip).

The Patagonia bag sounds perfect. At this point I'm just looking for a day pack for hiking at closed ski resorts.

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
I choose the Ferrino Aiguille 40 pack
Internal hard frame, straps for skis carried high A or diagonal across the back.
It has a few too many external straps for confident in resort wear. Catching a chair might be an issue, I try to be careful.

But those same compression straps pull the pack in neat and snug when not filled out.
I wear AT boots exclusively, so no need to carry another 10" in or on the pack, but they could be fit to the sides ;-)

https://www.ferrino.it/en/shop-en/equipment/backpacks

Too many choices !

skiki

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'm in Hanover, NH for a couple of days. Any input on what my best bet is for tomorrow (Tuesday April 23)? When I originally told DH I'd drive up with him, I was hoping more would be open still at K'ton, since I have the IKON. Do I just go to Sugarbush since my ticket is already paid for? Or put in a little drive time to get up to Jay?

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
I'm in Hanover, NH for a couple of days. Any input on what my best bet is for tomorrow (Tuesday April 23)? When I originally told DH I'd drive up with him, I was hoping more would be open still at K'ton, since I have the IKON. Do I just go to Sugarbush since my ticket is already paid for? Or put in a little drive time to get up to Jay?
Skied Killington today and we have lost a ton of acres. Heading for Jay with a couple of the Killington regulars for Tuesday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online