• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Corn at BWoods today, groomers and off-groom. Sun emerged at 2:00. Some spots got sticky, but not all. Slush bumps were fun, even though they were small.

The mountain was mostly empty. And it was really warm.

Last edited:

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
I had an awesome day at the beast which will most likely close out my season. OL was closed most of the morning but I caught it right after it opened and was probably about the 10th skier on it. I only skied it once and didn’t venture into the course but I actually impressed myself with a couple of top to bottom zipper line runs on the “training” course the mogul team set on wildfire. I think the bumps under the needles eye chair were better though even though you had to watch for rocks. I did my obligatory 3 or 4 runs on Big Dipper and closed the day on downdraft then back to k1 base.

Phelmut

German for Northeasterner
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Skied at Stratton today and had a fun time despite the fact that there were very few bumps or moguls on any of the open trails. They must have mowed them flat overnight. Pretty much ski on all day on all of the lifts except for a few 5 car waits on the gondi which i never realized was so slow until today. I'm not sure if it was running at normal speed but it seemed to take forever to get to the top on my last run of the day ~ 3:00.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Skied at Stratton today and had a fun time despite the fact that there were very few bumps or moguls on any of the open trails. They must have mowed them flat overnight. Pretty much ski on all day on all of the lifts except for a few 5 car waits on the gondi which i never realized was so slow until today. I'm not sure if it was running at normal speed but it seemed to take forever to get to the top on my last run of the day ~ 3:00.

The Stratton gondola at full speed takes 7 minute from bottom to top. They do run it slow very often.

Andrew said Stratton skied really well today. Lots of corn and mash potato. He left deep trenches on an un-tracked groomed section on skiers left of the gondola on upper standard. He said he almost tripped over those trenches on his second pass. :roflmao:

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Well we spent the majority of our time at Bear and some time in the canyons and superstar area. I guess it depends on the time.

I didn't make it over to Bear so that would explain why I didn't really see the sun or clear views.

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier

Was at Stratton this weekend myself and had similar feelings. World Cup and Standard under the gondola were the only bumps with the woods pretty much burnt out and Snow Bowl Lift line closed (Looked to me like the right hand side could have still been skiable). Outside of that the snow was really nice and the Bears and Snow Bowl trails were a lot of fun
IMG_0038.JPG

IMG_0040.JPG

Phelmut

German for Northeasterner
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The Stratton gondola at full speed takes 7 minute from bottom to top. They do run it slow very often.

Andrew said Stratton skied really well today. Lots of corn and mash potato. He left deep trenches on an un-tracked groomed section on skiers left of the gondola on upper standard. He said he almost tripped over those trenches on his second pass. :roflmao:
i thought i saw him do a flyby at mach 1 and yelled his name.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Yesterday at Bromley was a gorgeous bluebird day. We tailgated with our friends on the snow just outside the shed, had our end of season unofficial party on the rock off the summit until we were chased out by ski patrol as they did their end of the day sweep and we had a end of season official closing party on the deck from the mountain. It was a bittersweet day. Best part of the day is we were with friends who took us on some new trails; off the summit there's this great run called Sunset pass which always has great coverage because people never take it. Then we went through the terrain park and went over the kickers, very slowly of course ha ha and then skied in and around the features, snow was great. Best part of the day is our friends took me over to the east side where fear keeps me away. All the blacks are over here. I'd been down Blue ribbon run before but now I can add Corkscrew and Pabst Peril to the list. Corkscrew was pretty steep at the top and Pabst was more mellow. It was a great day and I feel good because now I have 3 trails to go on when I'm over there. Skiing Magic this season has been very good for me. Bummed was going to go to Mount snow mid week but they are closed til Friday. Looking forward to Killington this weekend. I think I might be ready for superstar. I've already been down Lower east falls, mouse trap, lower skylark Highline and Lower cascade.

hespeler

Putting on skis
Skier
Finished out my season skiing Sugarbush on Saturday and FINALLY got to ski the fabled Mad River Glen on Sunday. Even though I could have gotten another day at SB for 50% off, we decided to head over to MRG.

What a way to end the season! That place is every bit as challenging as they say it is. Skiing Paradise was one of the best and most difficult skiing experiences for this 10-15 day-a-year skier. Even compared to some of the stuff I've skied out West, I thought it was very challenging. I walked away very humbled.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
Skiing Paradise was one of the best and most difficult skiing experiences for this 10-15 day-a-year skier. Even compared to some of the stuff I've skied out West, I thought it was very challenging. I walked away very humbled.

I've "skied" (using the word loosely) MRG's Paradise five or six times over the years... I generally make one or two turns on it that are not "survival" skiing.. Paradise is the Real Deal.

How was the icefall up top when you did it?

hespeler

Putting on skis
Skier
I've "skied" (using the word loosely) MRG's Paradise five or six times over the years... I generally make one or two turns on it that are not "survival" skiing.. Paradise is the Real Deal.

How was the icefall up top when you did it?

The icefall up top wasn't horrible. Was a little tough to drop in but I was able to traverse to the side of the trail pretty quickly and get around most of it.

Yeah, "skied" with the quotes around it is probably very accurate for me as well. I think I used or at least tried to use my skis more like crampons than actually skis.

About half way down there was a section with even worse icefall and after a trying to skirt it by "skiing" into the trees, it took me a good 5 minutes to ponder the easiest way down. All the while watching a few locals stop, take a look at it for a second, and pretty much ski right over it.

How does Paradise compare with the front four at Stowe? Still haven't skied there yet.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
How does Paradise compare with the front four at Stowe? Still haven't skied there yet.

The "official / top" entrances to the Front Four at Stowe are the hardest part of all four of them.

Goat and Starr in particular are probably comparable steepness to Paradise, with a ski-length or two on the extreme left of the trail being the only "usable / safe" section. i.e., Goat and Starr are steep, narrow, strewn with obstacles and have a double fall line to add to the "fun". In my experience, neither one is worth it unless conditions are amazing (i.e., powder day, spring corn, etc).

That said, I don't think of Paradise being a well-defined trail as it is just a glade with a semi-obvious route through it. None of them are "easy", but they're all very different experiences and hard to compare in terms of difficulty. I have about the same batting average of "good turns" on all of them.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
upper goat is for sure harder (and with much more fall consquence) than paradise.

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Upper Catwalk was good practice for zipper line turns this morning. Evergreen bounce line looms to collect bad turns. Nice launch and landing for Magic based Liv4ski.

IMG_5432 (1).jpg IMG_5433 (1).jpg IMG_1008.jpg
Shorts dayz rule

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online