• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Lines remained fairly long in the afternoon at Sugarbush but Heaven’s Gate opened and the wind buff and soft bumps up there was spectacular.

Great day with @Phelmut and crew.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
So today's media less Stowe report.

First tons of snow, and some absolutely massive drifts, its a shame the ones on top of the quad will get groomed down, because they are better terrain parks than the terrain parks themselves.

Run 1 - Hackets absolutely amazing wind buff, some of my favorite snow I have skied this year. The type of stuff that make skinny ski cower in fear, just amazing how fast you can ski when you just just skimming on top of fresh snow.

Run 2 - North Slope to a tree run called viking, turns out the groomers were great today because there was wind buff everywhere, I actually regret going into the woods, which were good but noticable more slabbed up, good things is the Renegade was made for slab.

Run 3- Hayride, best and smoothest wind buff I have ever skied in my life.

Run 4-8 Hayride- best and smoothest wind buff I have ever skied in my life. For those that the thought the triple wait was long there was no way I could skin 8 triple runs from 8am to 2pm, its all about perspective.

Run -9 traverse from triple over to liftline, 13 pitch is great and there are some really fun drifts to do on Sepps, bonus I see the quad is loading chairs

Run 10 - LIFTLINE from the top, people have been hiking/skinning to it all day, but there wasnt any track in front of me, I absolutely send IT. Top to bottom in less than 2 minutes and get back to the quad with no line.

Run 11 - Nosedive Chutes to nosedive. The snow on nosedive was very creamy, much less stiff than anything I ran into today. The bottom has weird ripple drifts that would have been fun if the light wasnt so flat.

Run 12 - Centerline, left side was awesome,, to Red Sled. Red Sled was pretty slabbed, but the Renegades made short work of it.

Run 13 - Upper Starr, to left side of Tres Amigos. Upperstar was giant drifts and quite challenging but fun, right side starr is death. Woods again prove VERY slabby but the reverse camber/reverse sidecut ski again deal with it fine.

Run 14 - National top to bottom, tops of VERY filled in, and the drift line on the skier's left is just epic.

Run 15 - Liftline special(the little chute you see from the national traverse from the quad), to liftline, to staircase. liftline special was sketchy as always but fun, liftline remained crazy good, and staircase was 4-8 foot drifts and wind slab, even got some whmmping on that pitch. Id be careful of steep BC runs that are east facing tomorrow juding by that run.

I normally loath lines and mostly a mid week freeskier, but today when I realize there was no way I could skin faster I stopped caring since every hayride I did was effectively untracked due to the wind. I also go to fall back in love my my 4frnt Renegade and watch a bunch of people even on fat skis suffer in untracked woods. Some trails like hayride would have been doable on basically anything, but some of the slab and drift especially in the woods were overwhelming less skis, I rarely get to ski my renegades inbounds, but in today very dense, wind affected snow there were amazing. No hookinness at all, and plently of float.

My suggestion for tomorrow would be to skip the inbounds skiing, and head directly the bench early before the sun gets it, and even though spruce didnt run lifts all day its going to be too sun affected by tomorrow to be any good. I really wish they would be grooming tonight because the loose snow would be much more fun than the pancake flat groomers tomorrow that are going to be choppy bumpy mess by 10am.

Last edited:

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Yeah crazy line at the triple. Line extended up past the quad which is easily 200 yards away.

I took two runs — Hayride (which was sweet) and Christie glades to Gulch. Christie hardly had enough pitch to move; Gulch had drifts that were insane.

Got down and the line was insane... decided to call it a day. Heard 90mph winds on the summit.

This is from the base of the double, so the triple is another 100, 200 feet behind me. The quad is next to that building you can see in the background.
View attachment 69302

:eek:

@Josh Matta , what were you on this morning? I finally found a snow condition that my SR95’s don’t destroy (super dense wind packed in woods...).

Wow!

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
Sunday Stowe report. Got in for quad opening at 7:30 to find the line was already spilling out the corrals. Wow. Line moved reasonably quickly though.

First run was down Hayride through what felt like a couple inches of cream cheese. Heaven. Met up with Mrs @LKLA and LKLA junior for lap two down Starr. Bumps were basically buried but new lines were starting to form in places.

Quad line was still nuts. The three of us took a backcountry run down Bruce. Helmets required... I always feel a few pings off my helmet but today felt like I had to crouch the whole time to avoid getting clocked. LKLA junior enjoyed the benefits of being short. Bruce wasn’t that heavily tracked either... some pretty dense piles on the side added a bit of challenge (as if I needed more).

Took the shuttle bus back; the road was backed up from all the traffic still trying to get in at 10:30. Skied Spruce side until lunch. Pretty variable up high but pretty nice down low.

After lunch skied some Mansfield bumps — Chin Clip, Liftline and Hayride again. Legs were ready to fall off so I called it a day.

Definitely one of my nicer Stowe days this season. Crowds weren’t bad after the Bruce adventure. Too bad the gathering is next weekend. Hopefully the snow stays nice,

Phelmut

German for Northeasterner
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Another great day skiing at Stratton today with Ski3PO and the Grumps ripping son. Windy and slick in spots earlier and then the wind calmed down a bit and the sun softened the snow. Bluebird for much of the day and a very fun time. Got home and it was 61 degrees at 7:00. What??

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The lift lines at Subarbush were indeed long on Saturday because Mt Ellen was shut down all day due to wind. By mid afternoon the singles line at Heaven's Gate moved along ok. Castlerock was about a 25 minute wait Rumble and the woods were loaded with snow and the wind blew in fresh snow all day.

Skied Mt Ellen on Saturday. The snow was deep and windblown after being closed on Saturday. We heard that by mid morning they had to turn people away because the parking lot was full. After a staggered start to the lifts the singles lines died down and the waits weren't too bad.

There must have been some Ikon effect but most the people I met on the lifts were passholders. The hotels and restaurants certainly weren't complaining.

Reactions: RJS

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Skied Sunday River on Sunday, skipped Saturday which had a lot of wind hold on a lot of lifts. Sunday was a primo day, 45ish, bluebird, with the whole mtn open and skiing extremely well. They have so much snow its amazing to see. The Friday/Saturday storm actually short changed SR, as they only got 5-6" of heavy wet snow. But the temp's didn't get too frigid and combined with good grooming has the whole mtn covered with packed power, a little on the cream cheese side. The glades are skiing well as long as they are tracked, the untracked is a bit heavy and requires wide skis to stay on top of it. Saturday was fairly empty and Sunday was more crowded, but not overly so. You did have to move around to avoid long lines (aka Barker at 11 AM), but not bad at all.

I am on a "demo some front side skis" kick, which I did most of Sunday morning. The first hour or two was good for that, since things were still firm, but later things got nice and soft and the front side skis were a liability. I was on a Rossi Hero Elite Ti ski for most of the day, and even though that is 78mm underfoot, the wide tips and tails were getting deflected in the softer clumpy snow. I finally got on my Brahma's, and boy what an improvement. The Brahma's were awesome in the softening conditions.

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
Several inches of wet snow on top of slush with more on the way tonight at Smuggs. My knees are telling me that my season might be coming to an end soon and PT might be in my future. I think I’ll be sticking to groomers the rest of the year. :-(

Confirmed this morning, That heavy snow on the morning of 3/22 and one bad turn did me in. Torn MCL & meniscus needs another trim. Going to do a little PT then book the surgical tuneup. Got 41 days this season, but I wish it ended on a different note.

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
Too quiet in here. Just back from the west and the Pocono (local) season is over but, not ready to shelve the skis yet. Heard it was pretty solid up there last weekend but the base seems to still be pretty robust. I've even seen reports of some decently mild weather in our future for hopefully, maybe some good spring bump action over the next 2 weeks. Still have ikon tickets to burn at Stratton, Killington, Sugarbush and Loon and scheduled days off next week. Was hoping to head back out west but unfortunately it seems not to be a great time for my son (in Denver) with his life and obligations so unless the NE season completely unravels over the next 2 weeks would prefer to stay out of his hair. 6 more days would put a nice wrap on the season (a steller 2nd 1/2, after a putrid start).

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Killington skied well this weekend and the mogul challenge is next weekend if you want to spectate rather than participate.

The rain only put a damper on Sunday morning. Yesterday morning was great until the fresh snow got skied off after noon. Long drive home to PA with stiff legs.:D

James

Out There
Instructor
Sugarbush has plenty of snow. They're open till May 5th and are selling a spring pass for $229 I think.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
There were people who skied Magic last weekend who said it was fun. Someone actually went down talisman on Sunday and had a good time. This weekend is their last weekend, the possibility of patch skiing was mentioned. Sunshine corner will be open so that will be fun. Wish we had snowshoes. Bromley will open up for a final weekend so we'll likely wind up there both days as they have more of a base. Chances of the R word seem to be decreasing. I just find an app that shows the most favorable forecast and I go with that ;)

Reactions: RJS

zircon

Out on the slopes
Skier
Loon did not suck on Sunday. Started out gorgeous, sunny (although windy) warm soft snow. Then the heavens opened up around 11:30 and all 5 other people that were on the mountain went home and I got private gondola cabins all afternoon. I was alone on most runs I took all day and spent a lot of quality time saying goodbye to the South Peak for the season. Ripsaw was a little icy at the top, but softened nicely after the first pitch. Might be fun again this Saturday if we get a small refresh of snow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online