• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TexasStout

Epic Pass + Loveland 4-pack for 2021-2022
Skier
I’m looking forward to some 20 minute lift lines. Only time it will happen all season ogsmile.
Nah, working millennials can't afford skiing or snowboarding and baby boomers are becoming old and less will be willing to chase powder. Another ten years and the resorts will be begging people to come out because all that will be there will be the few snowboard bums.

skix

Out on the slopes
Skier
Nah, working millennials can't afford skiing or snowboarding

Which is why I am subsidizing skiing for our own young adults with passes and equipment. It's true they can't afford it now but they love it and won't give it up easily. My bet is down the road they'll still be skiing even when it's on their own dime.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Nah, working millennials can't afford skiing or snowboarding

Maybe not working Millennials in Texas.

A lot of whether you can "afford" to ski or not is a matter of priorities. I know lots of working millenials here in CO who can't "afford" to ski -- but they can afford a week-long destination vacation, a nice new-ish car, lots of meals out, etc. If my generation wants to live the same lifestyle as the boomers, skiing will be on the to-cut list for many. More expensive housing, higher student loan debt, trying to live the lifestyles we grew up with -- all on wages that have been effectively stagnant for 20+ years. Somethings got to give.

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
Maybe not working Millennials in Texas.

A lot of whether you can "afford" to ski or not is a matter of priorities. I know lots of working millenials here in CO who can't "afford" to ski -- but they can afford a week-long destination vacation, a nice new-ish car, lots of meals out, etc. If my generation wants to live the same lifestyle as the boomers, skiing will be on the to-cut list for many. More expensive housing, higher student loan debt, trying to live the lifestyles we grew up with -- all on wages that have been effectively stagnant for 20+ years. Somethings got to give.
You young whippersnappers!
I say, when I was a kid we had to ride the limo to school uphill both ways!

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
You young whippersnappers!
I say, when I was a kid we had to ride the limo to school uphill both ways!

I'm back to Loveland this year. We need to make some turns.

When I grow up I just want to ski as much and like you and @Ron. (And Ron's friend whose name fails me but whose stoke level was continually that of me at 13 skiing western pow for the first time.)

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
I'm back to Loveland this year. We need to make some turns.

When I grow up I just want to ski as much and like you and @Ron. (And Ron's friend whose name fails me but whose stoke level was continually that of me at 13 skiing western pow for the first time.)

LOL, so,,, I didn't click into a pair of skis until I was 29 and didnt seriously ski until I was in my mid-30's and didnt ski a single tree until 2007! . I was immediately obsessed and on my first real day of skiing (long story short is I was asked to go skiing with clients in Beaver creek and had to go take a lesson in NJ which lasted about an hour first) I fell and broke my thumb and detached the UCL ligament requiring my first thumb surgery :)

My friend tree rat and powder fanatic who taught me how to ski trees is @ski-ra Yes, Skiing with Ira is a total blast. I owe him big time for my addiction and obsession.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
HOT OFF THE PRESS! (are you old enough to remember what that even means? :) )

FROM OPENSNOW:

Colorado Daily Snow

Snow for the next 10 days (I wish it were mid winter!)

Summary
On Friday, snow showers will drop a coating to three inches over the northern and central mountains. Then a cold and stormy pattern will develop on Saturday evening with chances for snow every day through about Sunday, October 14th. Most mountains will get at least 6 inches, the southern mountains could be favored with 12+ inches, and snowflakes will fall down to the elevation of many mountain towns.

Reactions: nay

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

I know what that means!

But only from old movies... :P

Actually, I'm plenty old enough (42) to have regularly read the newspaper, but haven't since maybe the late 90's. But that phrase was still something only heard in old movies and TV usually I think - or just as a general idiom, like you used it here.

OK... back on topic...

SNOW IN COLORADO! Woohoo! :yahoo:

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

It's mostly business causal at the office nowadays. :cool:

Reactions: Ron

Jtlange

Getting off the lift
Skier
Enjoyable Monday snowstake!

data.jpg

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Last year it got cold enough super late hopefully this year will be much sooner :D I predict the first heavy snow at Abay will be on the 8th of October :D

nailed it! :D:D:D

Reactions: nay

headybrew

surrender to the flow
Skier
Nah, working millennials can't afford skiing or snowboarding and baby boomers are becoming old and less will be willing to chase powder. Another ten years and the resorts will be begging people to come out because all that will be there will be the few snowboard bums.

I can't believe the industry doesn't see whats coming. Skier visits are up, the overall number of skiers is flat. Just in my small group of friends there were 0 ski days between us 4 years ago and this year we'll combine for over 200. It's easy to transition people from non-skier to skier when lift tickets are at reasonable prices and expect those people to develop into pass holding members later in life but when a day of skiing and rentals cost $200+ the barrier to entry is simply too high for most.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
It's accumulating at 9,751 ft. Woo hoo!

The summits were nicely covered this morning for the few minutes it wasn't snowing. I doubt it will last up there as the ground isn't cold, but it's a start.

MVIMG_20181008_125831246.jpg

MVIMG_20181008_125838739.jpg

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Snowing pretty good at Copper too above mid mountain. I was a little worried yesterday, especially after 9News reported they had official snowfall for Denver. DIA recorded a 1/2". Copper was a bright sunny start to the day with non of the snow predicted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor