• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Just got back from 6 days out camping. 4 next to Maroon Creek and 2 in Ridgeway State Park. The temps were pretty crazy. Low of 28º on the first night and then went up a few degrees each night. In Ridgeway it was way warmer. Low was only about mid 40's if that and about 80º during the day. Basically it was 70-80º highs even at 10k feet. Summer weather for sure on the western side of the state. Got back to Denver and its cooler than the high country. Crazy.

IMG_2723-1.jpeg

TS
nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Yea, maybe a good first fall storm next week. Best part is with the cold A-Basin and Luv will be making snow.

My bet is A-Basin opens on the Friday the 12th if at all possible. Last year it was the 13th, which is hard to beleve since High Noon was it for over 3 weeks, but it might be time.

Kinda stoked about thinking about that, tbh. I freaking love lapping High Noon with all my besties.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Yea, maybe a good first fall storm next week. Best part is with the cold A-Basin and Luv will be making snow.

My bet is A-Basin opens on the Friday the 12th if at all possible. Last year it was the 13th, which is hard to beleve since High Noon was it for over 3 weeks, but it might be time.

Kinda stoked about thinking about that, tbh. I freaking love lapping High Noon with all my besties.

I picked the same day, but Loveland rather than A-Basin... https://www.pugski.com/threads/the-race-is-on-first-to-open-2018-19.11741/

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Gotta pick the last of my terrible harvest this weekend and blow out the sprinklers. It's good, but I wish I'd had some decent crops!

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
O man, I am leaving for the Caribbean tomorrow. Returning to CO the 13 or 14th hopefully I dont miss opening day at A-Bay. :doh::huh:

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
That's awesome Mike! BTW- I booked my boot fitting trip Dec 3-7 and my wife is joining me for some Loveland turns so hopefully we can work out the kinks before we drive out Jan 3rd. We are staying in Silverthorne in Dec so maybe we'll meet up.

Sorry I didn't get a chance to call you while there. Man, hard to get stoked for winter in that weather! See you in Dec ogsmile

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Not sure what the weather is like in PR right now but FL was hot, humid, and of course periods of rain. Have fun!

Its probably gonna be the same! :( :doh: :bloodymary:

TS
nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
I picked the same day, but Loveland rather than A-Basin... https://www.pugski.com/threads/the-race-is-on-first-to-open-2018-19.11741/

I don’t think it is posssible for Luv to beat A-Basin anymore. Mambo to Home Run @ Luv is like 3-4 times more than High Noon - it’s really a different scale all together.

A-Basin seems to have its water use rights and snow making dialed to get High Noon open in the smallest of temp windows. I’d Luv to be pleasantly surprised given the vast superiority of Loveland’s WROD (not a WROD), but at the pure level of capacity I don’t think it is possible.

surfandski

Out on the slopes
Skier
Clearwater Beach, Fl and Pisgah Forest, NC
Sorry I didn't get a chance to call you while there. Man, hard to get stoked for winter in that weather! See you in Dec ogsmile

No worries, I probably wasn't there. I've only been at our Florida house a few weeks this entire Summer. The weather here in NC has been absolutely perfect this Summer and we probably used our AC a total of 10 hours.

Stoked about the possibility of snow out there. Let's build up a nice base before I get there in December!

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
The high is in the 80s here today, but the last few days have gotten me into fall mode. Gonna make some lentil soup tonight. Turning off the sprinklers and plan to blow them out this weekend. Looking forward to NOT mowing :)

TS
nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
We had lentil soup last night ogsmile. We’re probably looking at a hard freeze at my place by late weekend so time to shut off the drip system and harvest the last of the tomatos and basil.

Temps at A-Basin and Loveland are supposed to drop into the low 20s at night still for several days so I actually need to get the skis tuned and ready.

DE252FFB-1281-4574-B88B-246ED6714AE1.jpeg

Kickstarter discount. I’m going to do it right this time after a base grind that I need anyway.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Temps at A-Basin and Loveland are supposed to drop into the low 20s at night still for several days so I actually need to get the skis tuned and ready.

Good point, though I think I'm going to skip early season this time around. (shock! horror!)

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
I don’t think it is posssible for Luv to beat A-Basin anymore. Mambo to Home Run @ Luv is like 3-4 times more than High Noon - it’s really a different scale all together.

A-Basin seems to have its water use rights and snow making dialed to get High Noon open in the smallest of temp windows. I’d Luv to be pleasantly surprised given the vast superiority of Loveland’s WROD (not a WROD), but at the pure level of capacity I don’t think it is possible.
Agreed.
Still there is a reason why I am willing to pay $400 to ski at Loveland, when I can ski for free at A-Basin. For early season, Loveland wins hands down.
Later on it’s a different story.

TS
nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Agreed.
Still there is a reason why I am willing to pay $400 to ski at Loveland, when I can ski for free at A-Basin. For early season, Loveland wins hands down.
Later on it’s a different story.

At a season level, Loveland generally has more consistent soft snow conditions than A-Basin. Beavers May change that balance materially, but for anybody that operates on snow > terrain, Loveland is almost always better. For terrain > snow skiers, it can be a different story, but you need to like steep trees and bumps.

I buy passes to both - it’s so rare that neither has something tasty that it’s mostly just a matter of understanding the micro-climates and knowing how the wind is likely to affect them on any given day.

I’m looking forward to some 20 minute lift lines. Only time it will happen all season ogsmile.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online