• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
These guys know what it's about- don't go into WROD with powder day expectations, and just slay it!

Yay! Bases are overrated! We ski on the edges! :D

Squaw never planned to be open today as they went to Saturday only after the 4th of July. I agree that next weekend is not likely, especially on Gold Coast.

National looks well covered in your picture. Siberia also looks like it has good coverage although I'm sure they would have had to move some snow to keep it on the top and bottom.

Yeah, if anything, if they wanted to open early in the week, which of course they don't, they could move snow around in those higher chutes. But given how hot it is, and the forecast showing even hotter days, I don't see any likelihood for next weekend, but hey, I'm not an expert, an in any case, what a season!

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Just got the email.

TAHOE SKI & RIDE REPORT
Tuesday, July 18, 2017
Well, this is it, the last ski and ride email of the 2016-17 season. Despite receiving over 60 feet of snow, the blazing summer sun has melted it down to a point of no return. Last Saturday, July 15, was officially our last day of skiing and riding. Thank you to everyone who made this a truly historic and unforgettable season!

Join us for summer fun at High Camp for hiking, lounging poolside, roller skating, and poolside dining.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Just got the email.

TAHOE SKI & RIDE REPORT
Tuesday, July 18, 2017
Well, this is it, the last ski and ride email of the 2016-17 season. Despite receiving over 60 feet of snow, the blazing summer sun has melted it down to a point of no return. Last Saturday, July 15, was officially our last day of skiing and riding. Thank you to everyone who made this a truly historic and unforgettable season!

Join us for summer fun at High Camp for hiking, lounging poolside, roller skating, and poolside dining.
Makes me tear up a little bit, even though I haven't actually been on snow since May 14. It was a FUN season!

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Just got the email.

TAHOE SKI & RIDE REPORT
Tuesday, July 18, 2017

upload_2017-7-18_14-18-41.jpeg

TonyC

Contact me at bestsnow.net
Pass Pulled
This was entirely predictable, both for Squaw’s relatively low elevation and sunny exposure, as well as Squaw’s track record in running lifts.

On June 28
I also would not take it for granted that Squaw will be open July 22. They could have run Granite Chief past June 4 but did not. They could have run Siberia past June 18 but did not. Mammoth is clearly more willing to make the effort to move snow into chair entry and exit ramps when needed. Mammoth has signed up race camps in July and needs to keep chairs open daily to serve them. The track record says that when Squaw loses snow from even a small part of a lift/terrain pod they will close it.

We have been in a sustained heat wave for over a week, so while the snowmelt through mid-June was about what most of us expected, it's probably accelerating now.

Siberia could have been extended longer by maintaining a small exit strip to the top of the still deep bowl as Mammoth does routinely in late season from chairs 1, 2 and 3.

Mammoth as of today July 18 still has snow to Main Lodge via Broadway and St. Anton, 2,100 vertical. Plus some real steeps on Climax and the Drop Outs.

Squaw has not been worth skiing vs. Mammoth for a month since Siberia closed IMHO. I had a good day at Squaw on June 2, but half of that day was on Granite Chief, which closed June 4.

The fat lady has another 20 days to go at Mammoth, and it's every day, not just Saturdays.

Last edited:

TahoeCharlie

...Major Tom...
Skier
Just got the email.

TAHOE SKI & RIDE REPORT
Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Also got the email, must say not at all surprised after only "one run" being open on the 15th. What a great season - skied 6 days in July, 1-4, 8, 15; most ever July skiing at Tahoe. Plus put in 20 days in May and June at Squaw on my '17/'18 season pass, so already well paid for. Spring skiing was absolutely awesome this year. Coverage was suburb on open runs, skied most days on my new AX's and never hit a rock.

Seriously thinking about trying for 12 straight months of skiing - Mammoth in early Aug, Hood(?) in Sept and Oct or maybe early season in Oct/Nov in Tahoe. I have actually skied Boreal (very boring) twice on Oct 30th.

Last edited:

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I just read in the paper about a secret garden in the Lake Tahoe area that hasn't been open to anybody for a hundred years or more. All kinds of rare and unusual plants and animals. Very cool for you people that live there. Lets hear from anyone who goes there
I can't seem to upload a link to the news items

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I just read in the paper about a secret garden in the Lake Tahoe area that hasn't been open to anybody for a hundred years or more. All kinds of rare and unusual plants and animals. Very cool for you people that live there. Lets hear from anyone who goes there
I can't seem to upload a link to the news items

Wow, I had no idea. Looks like it will be open in 2019

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Sad to no longer see this on page-1...

Good news- Only a few more months for the 2017-18 version?
:daffy:

Yeah, @Jed Peters will find the right time to open the new one :)

Though I would love to go up and do a little patch skiing in August. But I'm not sure I'll find the right time. Besides, I never did patch skiing ... we'll see.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
We went up to Heavenly on the gondola yesterday, 8/18. Still a wee bit of snow. Still some damage to the signs. Looking across the lake to the west there is still quite a bit of snow. 20170817_104338.jpg 20170817_103941.jpg 20170817_095154.jpg

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier

Tony

tseeb
Skier
We went up to Heavenly on the gondola yesterday, 8/18. Still a wee bit of snow. Still some damage to the signs. Looking across the lake to the west there is still quite a bit of snow.
Are you sure yesterday was 8/18?:duck:I'm surprised how rocky Milky Way Bowl looks without snow. I thought about getting early use of my pass by riding gondola yesterday, but they wouldn't allow my hiking buddies so we stopped at Camp Sacramento and hiked to Lover's Leap on our way back to Bay Area. Dogs are tied to tree in first picture as I didn't want them getting close to the edge in 2nd picture (with snow visible on S side of Pyramid Peak) as there is an almost 1500' drop to Strawberry.
4878LecheCookieLoversLeap_crs.JPG 4876PyramidPeak_crs.JPG 4860TallacFromFallenLeaf_rs.JPG
The last picture was taken from N end of Fallen Leaf Lake. We hiked there from Camp Richardson.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Are you sure yesterday was 8/18?:duck:I'm surprised how rocky Milky Way Bowl looks without snow.
It is amazing what is under the runs. Rocks, stumps, logs, boulders...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online