• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Our schedule is fly to Vegas on Weds the 19th, renting a car, spending 2 nights there, then flying to Reno Friday evening, already have a car rented there. Then flying home from Reno on Weds the 26th. Have fri sat and sun nights booked in Reno, mon and tues in SLT.

So now we're thinking mammoth, we could either drive from Vegas on Friday and spend the night there and ski Saturday then drive on to Reno after, or stick to our original plan and day trip mammoth from Reno either Sat Sun or Mon. Heck maybe we should do 2 days since we're there. Any idea how crowded mammoth might be? What about places to stay? Other general thoughts ? Thanks!
If you view the drive from Mammoth to Reno as having inherent value (and it does) and not just a way to get from Point A to Point B, I think this makes a lot of sense.

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I saw a semi filled with hay yesterday going into Squaw. There aren't that many horses in Squaw. The snow is melting quickly in our view of the mountain. But the hay suggests that Squaw is really putting in an effort to keep some skiing going. There was a lot of snow on Shirley. That could last a while.

I'm not sure it will last until I get back up. I won't be taking out new skis if I do get another day of skiing. But it was an awesome season. Plus an awesome summer season.

Eric

Tony

tseeb
Skier
Just received the following from Snowbrains: Squaw will announce weather (sic) or not they will continue their amazing 2016/17 season and announce their decision on Wednesday. "We are preparing to stay open this Saturday for skiing and riding, but it depends on snow melt and conditions. Our teams are currently out there moving snow. Our Mountain Manager will confirm if and what will open this weekend by Wednesday, so please stay tuned until then!" - Squaw Valley on July 9th, 2017

So they could be done already or may at most make it to 7/15.

@Bandit2941 I would not expect Mammoth to be that crowded. You do want to be there when or close to when they open for best snow. I'm not sure this is a good time of year to drive Las Vegas-Mammoth unless you want to experience the hottest temps in the country at the hottest time of year. The Mammoth-Reno part will be cooler.

Bandit2941

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Good point on the temps Tony. I think what we'll do is fly to Reno Friday evening as planned, stay in Reno fri night and sat night then drive to mammoth early Sunday morning, ski, check out the area and spend the night there, ski on Monday then head to SLT after skiing Monday. This way we get to ski 2 days, get to check out a new area and don't have to do all the driving in one day.

Stev

Orange Mocha Frappuccino
Skier
Good point on the temps Tony. I think what we'll do is fly to Reno Friday evening as planned, stay in Reno fri night and sat night then drive to mammoth early Sunday morning, ski, check out the area and spend the night there, ski on Monday then head to SLT after skiing Monday. This way we get to ski 2 days, get to check out a new area and don't have to do all the driving in one day.

Driving very early. Mammoth's current summer ski hours are 7:30 AM to Noon.

TonyC

Contact me at bestsnow.net
Pass Pulled
Yes, with the 7:30AM opening you should drive to Mammoth the day before your first ski day. Obviously there is plenty of time for a leisurely drive back to Reno after your last ski day

Bandit2941

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I figure we can leave Reno at 3:45/4am Sunday morning. Won't be the first and surely won't be the last time we get up that early to ski :)

Where is a good place to rent skis? I'm guessing at 7am the mountain shop might be the only thing open?

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
I figure we can leave Reno at 3:45/4am Sunday morning. Won't be the first and surely won't be the last time we get up that early to ski :)

Where is a good place to rent skis? I'm guessing at 7am the mountain shop might be the only thing open?
Paging @Sierrajim to determine if bluezone still has skis available to rent? You would have to drive to Truckee or Carson City (or SLT) to get them the night before though.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Paging @Sierrajim to determine if bluezone still has skis available to rent? You would have to drive to Truckee or Carson City (or SLT) to get them the night before though.

I was thinking along the same lines, I would try to get rentals ahead of time and get to the best runs very early. Paging @bud heishman , his shop (snowind) is in Reno. Not sure if they do rentals or if they open in the summer, but he might have ideas for rentals in Reno.

TonyC

Contact me at bestsnow.net
Pass Pulled
One more reason to drive to Mammoth the day before. You can get to Main Lodge at 7AM to rent skis. Also I have a friend who is renting demos at Footloose today, so that's another option.

If you rent skis at Tahoe and take them to Mammoth you have no recourse if something goes wrong.

I don't see what is gained by staying in Reno Saturday night and getting up at 3:45AM if you're staying in Mammoth Sunday night anyway.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Squaw going to be open this Saturday for skiing 8:30am-12:30pm. Surprisingly, unless I missed it, just Funitel & Gold Coast Express. No Shirley :huh:

And they're hyping the hike up to National from the top of Gold Coast.

https://squawalpine.com/explore/blog/weekend-preview-july-15

Nice! Any updates anybody? Is anybody planning to go and enjoy the sunny wrod?

EDIT: my own update. I had a chat with a customer service person at Squaw and they still plan to be open tomorrow 8:30-, Gold Coast only.

Last edited:

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
So, how was it? And do you think this was their last weekend?

Oh! Sorry, I forgot to write a little report. The short of it is that it was glorious to be able to ski in July. This season I skied Nov-Dec-Jan-Feb-March-Apr , then I missed June and I got a ski day in July. Unbelievable.

I skied the last weekend of Rose, Sugar Bowl, and very likely, Squaw. I am not sure whether they opened today, and I don't think they can open next weekend. I will add more pictures later, but the little WROD back to left was really narrow, and in some places it was about two to three feet wide with watter puddles in what was wrod at 8. Or exposed dirt.

It was certainly awesome to be there, and a nice workout. At 8:30, it was already heavy, and we all spraying heavy snow to the back of our legs (shorts and t-shirts were almost mandatory, it must have been in the upper 70s as we started, with full sun).

Only one run was open (mainline?), to the left from Gold Coast, with only one little slope at the beginning and another half way. The first one was narrower and it got bumpy by 9:30. There was a nice hour 9:30 to 10:30, but the bumps kept growing, snow kept getting chopped up, and the crowd kept growing. The chair moved people fast, but it started getting scary with so many people and the snow getting sticky. SO I left squaw 11 am.

Quite a few people made the hike to National. It looked scary. I overhead a guy on the lift mention some bare spots here and there, and the drop is really vertical. There is obviously a lot of talent in squaw. Some folks, even by the time I left, were going effortlessly through the chopped up slush. And those dropping the chutes ...

:hail:

I made sure to say "thank you for staying open" to everyone that works there and crossed paths with me. Thank you, Squaw,, seriously. I did pay 50 bucks for not so much skiing, but in comparison with no skiing, it was glorious.

20170715_102911.jpg 20170715_102852.jpg

This next picture shows the hike area. People were coming from the chute at the center of the image, which I believe is National. They would have to hike all the way past the lift that shows in the picture (Siberia Express, I think)
20170715_100855.jpg

20170715_100106.jpg 20170715_100101.jpg 20170715_100057.jpg

Last edited:

Tony

tseeb
Skier
I am not sure whether they opened today, and I don't think they can open next weekend.
Squaw never planned to be open today as they went to Saturday only after the 4th of July. I agree that next weekend is not likely, especially on Gold Coast.

Quite a few people made the hike to National. It looked scary. I overhead a guy on the lift mention some bare spots here and there, and the drop is really vertical.
National looks well covered in your picture. Siberia also looks like it has good coverage although I'm sure they would have had to move some snow to keep it on the top and bottom.

Status
Not open for further replies.