• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2015-16 Colorado Weather Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
I was thinking about that earlier: product placement, both obscure, and not so much. View attachment 9205
Vermont skis go best when paired with a Heady Topper. Had the Pugski crew tagged as the serious skiing type of crowd never envisioned a rafter of the rowdy party on the lift types. Way to let your hair down. Remember to follow instructions of brewer John Kimmich - Don’t be a D-Bag and recycle this can!

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Vermont skis go best when paired with a Heady Topper. Had the Pugski crew tagged as the serious skiing type of crowd never envisioned a rafter of the rowdy party on the lift types. Way to let your hair down. Remember to follow instructions of brewer John Kimmich - Don’t be a D-Bag and recycle this can!

mais non..
. IMG_8625.jpg

James

Out There
Instructor
How busy was it at A-Basin last weekend?
Well Sun afternoon everyone bailed due to weatherst lunch time. Weather improved greatly in the afternoon. In general despite a full parking lot lines have been minimal. The beach and bar seem to be siphoning people off. So I wouldn't avoid due to crowds. Parking in the upper lot is easier anyway.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I was there Saturday in the am, til around 2. A lot like Sunday, not bad at all. No rocks hit. First chair, relatively few skiers everywhere, no lines in a.m. There were fewer in Zuma until well after 11, at least; seemed like almost none on Pali.

Fun crowd and music in the afternoon once surf was up.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester

Does that mean I should not recycle the can so I won't be a D-Bag? :eek:

I always recycle. ;)

We are serious about our skiing. We just like to get rowdy as well. Sometimes it starts on the lifts, but it almost always ends in the parking lot.

Last edited:

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Thursday was nice, yet again. Another crew to boot.

20160519_122151.jpg
The East wall remains popular. Some guys did 3rd Notch. It looked like a gnarly entrance.

20160519_150728.jpg
Sun, weather and more sun along with Marty.

20160519_163113.jpg
More mixed weather on the way home.

Yet again the skiing was very good. Not to sticky, plenty of soft.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Yeah, the serious type.
20160508_113037-jpg.8644

img_1040-jpg.8209

img_1043-jpg.8210

Our Shotz Ski lounge has a motto - It ain't gonna drink itself.

Karen_skier2.0

AKA - RX2SKI
Skier
Open Snow has some good news for those looking to make Memorial Day Weekend a ski weekend.
https://opensnow.com/dailysnow/i70/...l&utm_term=facebook&utm_campaign=i70dailysnow

The storm didn't really pan out last night, but the late news was showing snow at the Eisenhower tunnel.

Heading up to ski on Sunday to Tuesday (I think.)

A Basin is open through June 5th. If it stays open longer, it will only reopen for the long weekends (Fri-Sun).

Who is up for #MayBasin?

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
I'm hoping to get in 3-4 more lift served. Actually, it's 4, because I hit 48 each of the last two seasons shooting for 50, and I am at 46 right now while circumstances keep conspiring to kill planned days.

So there is a real possibility I hit 48 again this season....

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm hoping to get in 3-4 more lift served. Actually, it's 4, because I hit 48 each of the last two seasons shooting for 50, and I am at 46 right now while circumstances keep conspiring to kill planned days.

So there is a real possibility I hit 48 again this season....

That's actually kind of fascinating.

What if you get hurt on 49?? Maybe you should just stay at 48.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
That's actually kind of fascinating.

What if you get hurt on 49?? Maybe you should just stay at 48.

I know. I could be screwed either way. If I hit 48 again, which would be completely random, then it could become like a curse.

Of course, at least it's a relatively high number...

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
You guys still skiing up on the front range? 115 here in Phoenix yesterday.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Well, the melt is in raging form. Today was a ton of fun, Norway spun up in the afternoon to deal with Lenawee lift lines, which made for a great afternoon. Lots of skin on the slopes, mostly of the proper gender :), and not much butt headed antics.

Lake Reveal continues to not reveal and appears to have moved downhill this year.

image.jpeg

I'm not at all convinced they can make it to next weekend with the temp forecast. Glacial river skiing was possible today...

image.jpeg

But good turns were definitely had...

image.jpeg

Fingers seriously crossed for a couple of lifts spinning on Friday....

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Pretty crazy melt going on up there! I figured it would be another late season but that sun seems to be saying differently.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Pretty crazy melt going on up there! I figured it would be another late season but that sun seems to be saying differently.

Next weekend would be typical closing, but the forecast usually has some temp breaks and overnight lows are staying around 40 degrees, which is the big issue. There are lots of threads about late season skiing so this will be redundant, but pics always tell a good story.

June 14th closing last season (I thought they could have extended a week):

image.jpeg

June 5th (yesterday), where the snow is fine if not facing a 3-4" loss per day with base down to 40" mid-mountain:

image.jpeg

And the Grizzly Snotel always tell the story, although it is not north facing so its 0" date is ahead of A-Basin's. But the cliff is past reversible and shows a little earlier than last year which kept a lower base chugging along longer.

image.png

The pics here map that extra week perfectly, and the graph shows that even in huge years like 2011 June is the demise (they made it to July 4th weekend in 2011). The contrast to late May is always remarkable.

image.jpeg

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
By my count, 231 total open ski days for everybody at A Basin this season after a late start, including,

3 to go, unless miracles happen! :)

(Only 80 for me in a down year after a brief encounter with a large, racing snowboarder.)

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
(Only 80 for me in a down year after a brief encounter with a large, racing snowboarder.)

:eek:

Al says they are good to go this weekend with the usual frontside runs (Lenawee Face, Dercum's Gulch, Humbug, Powerline, upper section of Sundance, all down to High Noon . Sounds like closing weekend.

Unless something changes, I'll be up for first chair(ish) tomorrow and that's it for me for lift served. High on Loveland Pass is supposed to be 67 degrees. Should be awesome :wag:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online