• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

NESkier_26

Putting on skis
Skier
Regarding @DanishRider’s point,

Bias doesn’t have to mean paid ‘advertorials’ it can be unintentional, and it can be subtle.

All of us have biases, and since ski ‘testing’ is not done blindly, instrumented and repeatable, those biases factor into our reviews in a HUGE way.

Yes, but that's true for ALL ski reviews done, not just Renoun. And Renoun isn't the only small manufacturer with skis reviewed here. Do you have a specific point to make about bias as it pertains to Renoun skis here? And to be clear, I don't own Renoun skis and have never skied them -- just curious about the point you are trying to make.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Well - they got a lot of press here, the owner joins in etc.:) Not saying that Renoun are a bad ski or paying this site or anything like that, but i don’t see this happening to Nordica, K2 or the likes :)

Just to pile on here - there have definitely been other favorite skis.

If there's any bias, I think it's to narrower skis, and by that I mean "skis less than 110 underfoot." This may be a biased definition of narrow. Don't see a lot of 125s being reviewed. Of course, it's hard to time ski days correctly for that sort of review.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I can understand why some folks could get a sense of "unreality" or maybe "bias?" of some sort from the Pugski Renoun reviews, at least until they get a chance to try them for themselves: gad, these sound so good it sort of seems too good to be true, such a breakthrough for a hitherto unknown ski brand.

These Pugski reviews of the Renoun skis have been unusual, and fairly uniformly otherworldly, you'll have to admit. It made my head spin. Hard to get a handle on, or a reality check, maybe, it can easily seem like here. The backdrop is we are bombarded daily with "breakthroughs" in eyecare and better ways to peel a hard-boiled egg. One must be careful, after all. :cool:

And yet, it sure seems these skis are for real, for at least many skiers. Maybe for me, who knows?

I also agree with Monique, and notice a kind of maybe inevitable conformity/commonality on Pugski too - maybe that's common to most group endeavors. Not so big on the fatter skis, for instance.

Just my impression, but I think in the case of most if not all ski websites/reviews, "preferences" and "different approaches or methods" would be good ways of saying what "biases" says a bit negatively. The contrast(s) between, say, Blistergear and Pugski are real, to me useful, and a matter of preference, I guess. (For me, you could add at least Yellow Gentian to that equation.)

To me, without going into details, the two combined are more complete than either alone.

Last edited:

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I can understand why some folks could get a sense of "unreality" or maybe "bias?" of some sort from the Pugski Renoun reviews, at least until they get a chance to try them for themselves: gad, these sound so good it sort of seems too good to be true, such a breakthrough for a hitherto unknown ski brand.

These Pugski reviews of the Renoun skis have been unusual, and fairly uniformly otherworldly, you'll have to admit. It made my head spin. Hard to get a handle on, or a reality check, maybe, it can easily seem like here. The backdrop is we are bombarded daily with "breakthroughs" in eyecare and better ways to peel a hard-boiled egg. One must be careful, after all. :cool:

And yet, it sure seems these skis are for real, for at least many skiers. Maybe for me, who knows?

I also agree with Monique, and notice a kind of maybe inevitable conformity/commonality on Pugski too - maybe that's common to most group endeavors. Not so big on the fatter skis, for instance.

Just my impression, but I think in the case of most if not all ski websites/reviews, "preferences" and "different approaches or methods" would be good ways of saying what "biases" says a bit negatively. The contrast(s) between, say, Blistergear and Pugski are real, to me useful, and a matter of preference, I guess. (For me, you could add at least Yellow Gentian to that equation.)

To me, without going into details, the two combined are more complete than either alone.
Yes, I read pug, gentian, blister, new schoolers, free skier, and any place else I can find reviews and info on skis I am interested in.

The Renouns are as advertised.....they are damp. They are light. I love mine. I did change the factory tune on the Endurance 98. They came 1/1. 1* side bevel isn't enough for how hard I commit to the downhill ski when on hardback/crust/ice. I broke loose a number of times. The increased side bevel should help. (just changed them today) I am very curious to get on the Z-90's. I would go for the 180. I'm 6'1" and 195 lbs.

Right now I am pondering a deep day pair of skis. I am stuck between the DPS Wailer F112 and the Armada ARV 116 JJ. Both with a medium flex pattern and a shit load of awards on the mantle. As others have noted, there isn't a plethora of big powder board reviews here. I wish there was. There is a little on the Wailer. The thing I really like about reviews here is the diversity of the skiers who comment on their own experiences on the different skis and the discussions that follow. It's really good stuff.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Right now I am pondering a deep day pair of skis. I am stuck between the DPS Wailer F112 and the Armada ARV 116 JJ. Both with a medium flex pattern and a shit load of awards on the mantle. As others have noted, there isn't a plethora of big powder board reviews here. I wish there was. There is a little on the Wailer. The thing I really like about reviews here is the diversity of the skiers who comment on their own experiences on the different skis and the discussions that follow. It's really good stuff.

Way off topic, but interesting. Everything I've seen and experienced suggests that DPS and Armada skis are very different - so it seems like you should be able to choose one based on characteristics. Have you been able to get on them, or anything comparable? And then again, I bet the Armada is a lot cheaper.

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Way off topic, but interesting. Everything I've seen and experienced suggests that DPS and Armada skis are very different - so it seems like you should be able to choose one based on characteristics. Have you been able to get on them, or anything comparable? And then again, I bet the Armada is a lot cheaper.
We're on page 3....we can handle a little thread drift at this point.... :eek:

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Oh, I don't know.
The K2 Pinnacle got some rave reviews here, as did the Head Kore 93, Atomic D9, Head Wild Joy, Blizzard Sheeva 10 (Rustler 10).
Some of these good folks advertise here. Some don't.
We ski them. We report what we feel, and we engage in conversation with those who don't feel the same thing.

The Enforcer/Santa Ana.

TS
F

Farlow

Booting up
Skier
Finally had a chance to get on them last night. Wet snow following a 45+ degree day. First impression - meh, no energy, like cruising down the interstate in an old Caddy. They work well at slow speed, wants to break loose at high speed. When I tighten up the arc mid-crave the tails don't hold and start skidding. If I maintain the arc they do ok until the speed increases.
They do quite well in tracked-up crud and are very stable at speed if the turn radius is limited to big GS.
I think I may have got them too short - after discussing with Renoun, got the 165cm (me 180lb, 55yo). I do have adjustable bindings (Marker Schizo) but not sure which way would improve them (I tried to adjust on the hill, but the cheap plastic screwdriver broke). Anyone try them with the bindings forward?
I'm going to do a head-to-head, hopefully next week, with my Armada Invictus. The Armada gets a little flappy at speed but has good energy and is fun. I was so relaxed on the Z90 that I was actually looking down at the skis while carving at 25+mph :doh:... and nothing bad happened. They certainly are VERY different from other skis, not sure yet if better...
Skied the 174cm yesterday... entirely different experience. No more tails breaking loose, I could pressure the ski to vary the arc at will, good rebound energy, quick edge to edge. They came from Renoun with a 1/3 tune. Skied them at boot center and 1* and 2* back, settled on 1* back. Hard to believe they are slightly longer version of the same skis, no similarities on the snow. I never got the Armadas out of the truck. Conditions were heavy wet snow with hard ice underneath, I can't wait to try them in other conditions - keepers for sure.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Skied the 174cm yesterday... entirely different experience. No more tails breaking loose, I could pressure the ski to vary the arc at will, good rebound energy, quick edge to edge. They came from Renoun with a 1/3 tune. Skied them at boot center and 1* and 2* back, settled on 1* back. Hard to believe they are slightly longer version of the same skis, no similarities on the snow. I never got the Armadas out of the truck. Conditions were heavy wet snow with hard ice underneath, I can't wait to try them in other conditions - keepers for sure.

Wow. That's interesting.

TS
F

Farlow

Booting up
Skier
Oh yeah I forgot to mention Renoun's customer service is second to none. Response is unbelievable, one email and I got the new skis within a week. If they ever make a Z90 like ski with a early rise tip I'll have to try it too.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Hard to believe they are slightly longer version of the same skis, no similarities on the snow.

Not hard to believe at all. As we have said over and over..."there are few bad skis but a lot of wrong skis"....The 165's were the wrong ski for you.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Not hard to believe at all. As we have said over and over..."there are few bad skis but a lot of wrong skis"....The 165's were the wrong ski for you.

So if I were to demo them, should I be on the 165?

Asking for a friend. Obviously.

Sponsor