• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@Farlow, I'm 173 tall and weigh less than you. Per the sizing chart I fit in the 165 category but I had conversation with Cyrus and decided on the 174. My bindings are mounted -2cm. I've never had issue with the tails skidding out on me at higher speeds. I can't comment on tightening the arc just because there is no way to know if I've ever done exactly what you did. I've never had my skis "take off" on me like @PTskier either.

Tune, I can't believe this but I'm not 100% sure what I have my edges set to right now only because my tune has been played with. I do prefer more GS type turns but I have used some pretty tight turns albeit at slow speeds. Tails never break loose.

This is not a ski like a Head Supershape. I've never been pulled into a turn and had to hang on while experiencing that energy coming out of the turn. It is an extremely stable 90mm all mountain front biased ski that, for me, has incredible edge hold. Even in icy conditions.

James

Out There
Instructor
Op, what are your other skis, or before this one? Must be near 165 or you wouldn't buy a 165 I would guess.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Why don't they make this ski in any length longer than 180 (165 is way too short for the OP)? Even 180 seems short... Seems a 186 would suit larger / more powerful skiers. For example, I'm not a big guy, but I would ski the Monster 88 in nothing shorter than a 184... the Motive 86 in a 186... etc.

Just my humble opinion, but at your weight on a 174, it's likely you're folding the ski. FWIW, some of my favorite skis around just don't ski well if they're too short.

I think a 186 would be a pretty limited market for a pretty limited production ski. Would the extra sales make up for the costs of the extra mold? That is a question any manufacturer ask itself. It's not just "Oh, lets just make another size....there are many costs that go into the process, samples that have to be run to test flexes and graphical changes and of course the costs to create the molds. These costs for a smaller company adds up into the thousands and would it really be worth it to pick up maybe a couple of dozen sales?

I do agree the OP is on the wrong size ski, he should be on the 174.

I Skied my Z-90's 165's yesterday at Alta. 8"+ of powder. Look Pivot 12's center mounted.
@ADKmel, you should clarify that your mount is boot center not center mounted. ;)

Last edited:

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
I think a 186 would be a pretty limited market for a pretty limited production ski. Would the extra sales make up for the costs of the extra mold? That is a question any manufacturer ask itself. It's not just "Oh, lets jsut make another size....there are many costs that go into the process, samples that have to be run to test flexes and graphical changes and of course the costs to create the molds. These costs for a smaller company adds up into the thousands and would it really be worth it to pick up maybe a couple of dozen sales?

I do agree the OP is on the wrong size ski, he should be on the 174.

@ADKmel, you should clarify that your mount is boot center not center mounted. ;)

YES THANK YOU>>> MY ERROR!!!

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier

OOPS!! THANK YOU- I took your mount suggestion and Cyrus' to my shop for mounting.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Regarding @DanishRider’s point,

Bias doesn’t have to mean paid ‘advertorials’ it can be unintentional, and it can be subtle.

All of us have biases, and since ski ‘testing’ is not done blindly, instrumented and repeatable, those biases factor into our reviews in a HUGE way.

TS
F

Farlow

Booting up
Skier
DanishRider, what problems with the Schizo?
Skis are as tuned from Renoun, I checked them and waxed them. I'll file the sides to 3*, that's what I have always used on everything else.
Skis that I like are older - Volkl Allstar (168), Atomic MEX (165). These I can lock in and with a little weight shift vary the arc from big turn to tight at high speed (up to 50mph), big fun! Demoed a Kastle a few years ago and it was nice also. Newer stuff - Enforcer 100, Rossi 88 were just ok, not spectacular at anything.
I'm 5'9", that along with my desire to ski in trees and bumps is likely why the shorter option was recommended.
I received them around Thanksgiving so I can return them. I'm going to move the bindings fore and aft and see what that produces. It seems likely that the length is the primary issue. Anyone think the 174cm would give some pop or does the HDT kill it?

James

Out There
Instructor
Anyone think the 174cm would give some pop or does the HDT kill it?
No, no killing at all. Very fun ski. Plenty of excitement and pop. Wouldn't surprise me if it was designed at that length.

DanishRider

Getting off the lift
Skier
Skis are as tuned from Renoun, I checked them and waxed them. I'll file the sides to 3*, that's what I have always used on everything else.
Skis that I like are older - Volkl Allstar (168), Atomic MEX (165). These I can lock in and with a little weight shift vary the arc from big turn to tight at high speed (up to 50mph), big fun! Demoed a Kastle a few years ago and it was nice also. Newer stuff - Enforcer 100, Rossi 88 were just ok, not spectacular at anything.
I'm 5'9", that along with my desire to ski in trees and bumps is likely why the shorter option was recommended.
I received them around Thanksgiving so I can return them. I'm going to move the bindings fore and aft and see what that produces. It seems likely that the length is the primary issue. Anyone think the 174cm would give some pop or does the HDT kill it?
Well - i don’t feel that my boot is “locked in” on the schizo - maybe because the stretch ever so little in the wire ( i am guessing it’s the wire here)

DanishRider

Getting off the lift
Skier
I Skied my Z-90's 165's yesterday at Alta. 8"+ of powder. Look Pivot 12's mounted boot center .(Mod Edit)
Me- I've been skiing 50+ yrs, female, 5ft 6" and not a light weight'
I am ex racer (on men's teams, title 9) grew up on Straight boards skiing east and west.
I didn't do anything to the edges, just waxed the skis.

OP- I've never heard of buying a ski length based on age? I have to sign the waiver to have my DIN at # I know works
the 'chart' because of my age says it should be lower. The chart doesn't know how I ski!
Perhaps they are too short for your style?

I love this ski.. For me they are a blast, I like they can be poppy, a blast today in the piles, bumps and drifts.
I love they stiffen up and the zoom factor is impressive, I've been clocked at 45+mph on groomed just cruising not trying to go fast. just skiing how I ski. They Love to Carve and have never let loose on me at speed! I make big turns and fast short turns. I make more short turns than big turns. They excel and are superb in chopped up snow. Extremely stable, no tip flap!

Some one said "competent' I agree. I keep trying to see what they 'can't do'. I haven't been disappointed. Only place I don't use them is on Eastern hardpack while the Z-90's still performed flawlessly on hard pack, I prefer my Atomic Cloud 11's 71cm under foot- easier on my old knees to get on edge.

I do think "how" we ski makes all the difference in what we like.
I demo skis every year to see how they all compare. I teach, knowing what my students are on is very helpful analyzing what's going on in a students skiing.

For instance: My take on K2's -I find them boring,they feel like 2x4 planks to me! I did ski the "Full of it'" at Mammoth 2 days this past July- they were a nice ski but not enough playfulness for me to ever purchase.

IMHO- it's the driver not the ski...What one person loves another may hate.

I'm sure there will be others that won't be as impressed as I am.
Different strokes for different folks and this is why there are SOOO Many Skis out there!

and with a 100day guarantee!! What other company does that?

PS @DanishRider This is not a fake review - I am not a paid rep!
I hope that you were reading, that i do NOT suspect Pug of being on the payroll - clearly stated in my post!

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Regarding @DanishRider’s point,

Bias doesn’t have to mean paid ‘advertorials’ it can be unintentional, and it can be subtle.

All of us have biases, and since ski ‘testing’ is not done blindly, instrumented and repeatable, those biases factor into our reviews in a HUGE way.

If there's a bias, it's toward 'new'. :golfclap:

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled

What size enforcer and E88 were you on?

IMO tree+bumps means getting a longer ski, as for and aft balance is always getting messed with in those arenas. I can get away with a lot shorter skis on a groomer than I can skiing trees.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
^^^ @Josh Matta great comment, I skied on skis that were too short for many years but started to realize the advantages of longer skis and it truly makes a difference,. This season I went to the 184 SR95 and absolutely love the longer length in off-piste. The added fore-aft balance and overall stability is significant

PTskier

Been goin' downhill for years....
Pass Pulled
I wonder how consistent the production of these skis is. Mine are just dead. 174 cm, I’m 180#, 6’. Super smooth and stable when running straight & fast, otherwise meh. I prefer the bindings 8 mm forward of the mark, and I raised the heels to 7 mm delta which I prefer. Some help, but not enough. I’ve seen 2 skis with minor defects in the installation of the edge steel. Both went back to Renoun. My Stöckli Laser AX are superior skis. Yesterday I let a friend ski both the AX and the Z-90. No contest...AX wins. I agree.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)

I haven't skied any Renoun skis, but desire to ski in trees is no reason to get a shorter ski.
I am 155 lbs, 5'9" (rounding up) tall and found the Volkl 100-8 and the Blizzard Bonafide both killed it in the untracked snow in trees at Mt. Washington at a length of about 181, 180 cm (can't recall exactly what length for what ski). These lengths were what was available for demo at the ski shop, but they were also the 2nd longest length in their models, which is by and large what I like to ski. I suggest you use that approach for choosing length, i.e. choose the same ranking in the Renoun that you normally ski (e.g. 2nd longest, longest, 2nd shortest, etc.)

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I wonder how consistent the production of these skis is.

I think the manufacturing process is fairly well controlled. They are being made in a very modern factory in Quebec, (Utopie, contract builder for many brands, including J Skis)

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I wonder how consistent the production of these skis is. Mine are just dead.

Always a small possibility of a dud pair. A few decades ago, I had a pair of Volkl Super Gs that I seemed to lose my love for around 30 days. Luckily, I ran into the shop owner on the mountain and he jumped on them. A week later I had a brand new pair, and WOW!

Agree 100% with @Ron and @Josh Matta on length in trees, and bumps (and everywhere except groomers) and the fore/aft balance advantage of going longer (but I'm 6'2" so....).

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Wow. Tale of two skis. I skied the 165s, and while they weren't really a ski that I have a need for, "meh" is not a word I can imagine using to describe them. And if they did anything at all, it was hook up. I understand that the length might not be ideal for the OP, but would have thought that the underlying "calm fat slalom" personality would still have been very evident.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Well - they got a lot of press here, the owner joins in etc.:) Not saying that Renoun are a bad ski or paying this site or anything like that, but i don’t see this happening to Nordica, K2 or the likes :)
Oh, I don't know.
The K2 Pinnacle got some rave reviews here, as did the Head Kore 93, Atomic D9, Head Wild Joy, Blizzard Sheeva 10 (Rustler 10).
Some of these good folks advertise here. Some don't.
We ski them. We report what we feel, and we engage in conversation with those who don't feel the same thing.

Sponsor

Staff online