• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Farlow

Booting up
Skier
Finally had a chance to get on them last night. Wet snow following a 45+ degree day. First impression - meh, no energy, like cruising down the interstate in an old Caddy. They work well at slow speed, wants to break loose at high speed. When I tighten up the arc mid-crave the tails don't hold and start skidding. If I maintain the arc they do ok until the speed increases.
They do quite well in tracked-up crud and are very stable at speed if the turn radius is limited to big GS.
I think I may have got them too short - after discussing with Renoun, got the 165cm (me 180lb, 55yo). I do have adjustable bindings (Marker Schizo) but not sure which way would improve them (I tried to adjust on the hill, but the cheap plastic screwdriver broke). Anyone try them with the bindings forward?
I'm going to do a head-to-head, hopefully next week, with my Armada Invictus. The Armada gets a little flappy at speed but has good energy and is fun. I was so relaxed on the Z90 that I was actually looking down at the skis while carving at 25+mph :doh:... and nothing bad happened. They certainly are VERY different from other skis, not sure yet if better...

DanishRider

Getting off the lift
Skier
Finally had a chance to get on them last night. Wet snow following a 45+ degree day. First impression - meh, no energy, like cruising down the interstate in an old Caddy. They work well at slow speed, wants to break loose at high speed. When I tighten up the arc mid-crave the tails don't hold and start skidding. If I maintain the arc they do ok until the speed increases.
They do quite well in tracked-up crud and are very stable at speed if the turn radius is limited to big GS.
I think I may have got them too short - after discussing with Renoun, got the 165cm (me 180lb, 55yo). I do have adjustable bindings (Marker Schizo) but not sure which way would improve them (I tried to adjust on the hill, but the cheap plastic screwdriver broke). Anyone try them with the bindings forward?
I'm going to do a head-to-head, hopefully next week, with my Armada Invictus. The Armada gets a little flappy at speed but has good energy and is fun. I was so relaxed on the Z90 that I was actually looking down at the skis while carving at 25+mph :doh:... and nothing bad happened. They certainly are VERY different from other skis, not sure yet if better...
First non-biased review i believe - looking forward to actual reviews:) might add - had the schizo - terrible binding!

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
x2 on edge bevel. I've been on them with a 1 base, 2 side and didn't have an issue with the tail breaking loose. If that doesn't work I'd contact @Cyrus Schenck and see what he suggests.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
First non-biased review i believe - looking forward to actual reviews:) might add - had the schizo - terrible binding!
I don't understand this statement..."First non-biased review i believe - looking forward to actual reviews..." Why do you think the other reviews here are biased and that the other reviews are not actual reviews?

DanishRider

Getting off the lift
Skier
I don't understand this statement..."First non-biased review i believe - looking forward to actual reviews..." Why do you think the other reviews here are biased and that the other reviews are not actual reviews?
Well - they got a lot of press here, the owner joins in etc.:) Not saying that Renoun are a bad ski or paying this site or anything like that, but i don’t see this happening to Nordica, K2 or the likes :)

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
One thing those skis are are good carvers, esp in packed soft stuff.
I'm curious why you went 165cm? The 173 is short enough. You weigh 180 and they felt a 165cm was in order?

That was my first thought, in fact i would have thought the 180 would have actually been the preferred length. Hard to carve fast on that short a ski (unless it is something like a FIS slalom) at that size

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
im thinking at least the 174. regarding the old caddy comment, is that bad? Seriously. you may not like a super damp and smooth ski. Thats pretty much like skiing a Stockli. :) love them., super damp, smooth with great snow feel glued to the snow What characteristics in a ski do you prefer?

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Ohh.... please disregard the “actual review” comment - that was very badly formulated on my part - Please accept my apology!

This might be what you meant?...

First opposing review i believe - looking forward to more reviews:) might add - had the schizo - terrible binding!

To the OP...I agree about the comments above about them being possibly too short. Are you within the 100 day period of purchase? I would talk to Renoun again if you're not happy after a couple more days on them...you can either get your money back or swap it for a longer length.

Or you can always sell them here really cheap? ::cough:: to me ::cough:: :D

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I believe @Philpug likened the Z90 to a Mercedes AMG as opposed to a BMW M. Smooth as opposed to twitchy and high strung. At 230# I like the 174 more than the 180 though I'd like to try the 180 again now that I have more snow time.

The lack of hook up still has me wondering about the tune. Even at my level (advancing intermediate) I had no problem keeping them locked in. On the other hand not every ski is for every skier. That could be the simple case here. There's always the 100 day deal.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
lack of hookup can mean a few things including mount point and of course tune. Did you have them tuned first? Bases checked? 1:3? I didn't read that this was done

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
I Skied my Z-90's 165's yesterday at Alta. 8"+ of powder. Look Pivot 12's mounted boot center .(Mod Edit)
Me- I've been skiing 50+ yrs, female, 5ft 6" and not a light weight'
I am ex racer (on men's teams, title 9) grew up on Straight boards skiing east and west.
I didn't do anything to the edges, just waxed the skis.

OP- I've never heard of buying a ski length based on age? I have to sign the waiver to have my DIN at # I know works
the 'chart' because of my age says it should be lower. The chart doesn't know how I ski!
Perhaps they are too short for your style?

I love this ski.. For me they are a blast, I like they can be poppy, a blast today in the piles, bumps and drifts.
I love they stiffen up and the zoom factor is impressive, I've been clocked at 45+mph on groomed just cruising not trying to go fast. just skiing how I ski. They Love to Carve and have never let loose on me at speed! I make big turns and fast short turns. I make more short turns than big turns. They excel and are superb in chopped up snow. Extremely stable, no tip flap!

Some one said "competent' I agree. I keep trying to see what they 'can't do'. I haven't been disappointed. Only place I don't use them is on Eastern hardpack while the Z-90's still performed flawlessly on hard pack, I prefer my Atomic Cloud 11's 71cm under foot- easier on my old knees to get on edge.

I do think "how" we ski makes all the difference in what we like.
I demo skis every year to see how they all compare. I teach, knowing what my students are on is very helpful analyzing what's going on in a students skiing.

For instance: My take on K2's -I find them boring,they feel like 2x4 planks to me! I did ski the "Full of it'" at Mammoth 2 days this past July- they were a nice ski but not enough playfulness for me to ever purchase.

IMHO- it's the driver not the ski...What one person loves another may hate.

I'm sure there will be others that won't be as impressed as I am.
Different strokes for different folks and this is why there are SOOO Many Skis out there!

and with a 100day guarantee!! What other company does that?

PS @DanishRider This is not a fake review - I am not a paid rep!

Last edited by a moderator:

HeluvaSkier

Reality Check Writer
Pass Pulled
Why don't they make this ski in any length longer than 180 (165 is way too short for the OP)? Even 180 seems short... Seems a 186 would suit larger / more powerful skiers. For example, I'm not a big guy, but I would ski the Monster 88 in nothing shorter than a 184... the Motive 86 in a 186... etc.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
I believe @Philpug likened the Z90 to a Mercedes AMG as opposed to a BMW M. Smooth as opposed to twitchy and high strung. At 230# I like the 174 more than the 180 though I'd like to try the 180 again now that I have more snow time.

The lack of hook up still has me wondering about the tune. Even at my level (advancing intermediate) I had no problem keeping them locked in. On the other hand not every ski is for every skier. That could be the simple case here. There's always the 100 day deal.

Just my humble opinion, but at your weight on a 174, it's likely you're folding the ski. FWIW, some of my favorite skis around just don't ski well if they're too short.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
Why don't they make this ski in any length longer than 180 (165 is way too short for the OP)? Even 180 seems short... Seems a 186 would suit larger / more powerful skiers. For example, I'm not a big guy, but I would ski the Monster 88 in nothing shorter than a 184... the Motive 86 in a 186... etc.

Chuckle... I asked the same question last spring. ogsmile

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
Well - they got a lot of press here, the owner joins in etc.:) Not saying that Renoun are a bad ski or paying this site or anything like that, but i don’t see this happening to Nordica, K2 or the likes :)

I don't think there's a conspiracy of advertisers here by any means. The Z-90 certainly deserves the love it receives, and if you poke through the archives, you'll find a ton of info about K2, Nordica, etc...

FWIW, yes, I've skied the Z-90.... and Nordicas... and K2s. All are good skis, all are different skis. There aren't really any bad skis out there (well, maybe a couple), but there are certainly wrong skis.