• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Your Personal Recipe Bitch

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
When looking for a basic recipe to work off of, I just search say Food Network Roasted Lemon Herb Chicken. They are pretty solid without the ads blog and video. I usually change the recipe anyways so I just use it as a basic reference.

More technical recipes like baking or gourmet require more patience surfing through the internet garbage.

Cream cheese is a major ingredient in most cheesecakes so I would add that to the list.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
For people who like Japanese food, this is a treasure trove, not just recipes but staples such as miso and soy sauce.

wooglin

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I’ve never had that. I guess I need to. This is what I use
Can't make a fluffernutter with that stuff. And what's life without a fluffernutter?

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
I misread the title, was thinking you were referring to a person rather than an activity or emotional state.
Many ways to read it.

Your Personal Recipe, Bitch (delivered with a slap)
Your Personal Recipe Bitch (beleaguered individual who provides recipes reluctantly on request)
Your Personal Recipe Bish (slang for above)
Bitching about "Your Personal Recipe" (complaining about nebulous internet content on the internet nebulously)
Your Personal Recipe: Bitch (content about dog breeding websites)

skiki

Out on the slopes
Skier
I’ve never had that. I guess I need to. This is what I use
Come to Boston in Sept. The WTF (What the Fluff) festival is set for Saturday Sept. 17.

RobSN

Out on the slopes
Skier
as the primary cook in the house
Moi aussi.

As for the title, I was worried about the stone cold sober* bit - surely a fine repast can hardly be made without an appropriate Vino Plonko Deluxo?

[* "I'm a bitch, I'm a bitch, oh, the bitch is back/
Stone-cold sober, as a matter of fact" - courtesy of Bernie Taupin and sung by Elton John]

TS
Tony S

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
  1. Please. Just give me the recipe.

Have you ever gone the opposite way from anything Internet and worked from an encyclopedia-style cookbook? One of the ones where every process is broken out in detail - the reader knows exactly what is being done, and it is close to being set in stone each time - BUT requires sequencing (and quantity adjustment) from about 15 different paragraphs on 10 different pages of a 600 page book? I use paragraphs here because that is what they are, and there's 30-40 of them in multiple columns on any given page?

Yes, French cookbooks I am looking at you.

I am particularly looking at those of you written by hyper-analytical, essentially German chefs, who never miss a chance to teach/preach about underlying ratios and physical principles and food chemistry principles.

Last edited:
TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Have you ever gone the opposite way from anything Internet and worked from an encyclopedia-style cookbook? One of the ones where every process is broken out in detail - the reader knows exactly what is being done, and it is close to being set in stone each time - BUT requires sequencing (and quantity adjustment) from about 15 different paragraphs on 10 different pages of a 600 page book? I use paragraphs here because that is what they are, and there's 30-40 of them in multiple columns on any given page?

Yes, French cookbooks I am looking at you.

I am particularly looking at those of you written by hyper-analytical, essentially German chefs, who never miss a chance to teach/preach about underlying ratios and physical principles and food chemistry principles.
Yes. I think this actually helped me, early on in my kitchen "career," to understand the modular / component nature of cooking.

Related but different: My edition, at least, of Larousse Gastronomique is possibly the worst reference book on any subject I've ever seen.

James

Out There
Instructor
Many are still waiting for your officially approved Potato Soup Recipe !
Waiting for the recipe video that starts with talking on the chairlift, continues with a selfie stick ski down discussion of wine pairings, then to the lodge for boot off and how the soup fits into a busy schedule. Off to the store to shop for ingredients where everything is commented on endlessly. At some point he actually makes it. The actual recipe is buried 4 minutes from the end so it’s hard to skip to.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^^
This would all be fine if I actually had a potato soup recipe. All I have is a memory. You can't go home again, etc.

I do remember - reaching way back - that Julia Child's admonition about potato-leek soup was not to gussy it up too much with higher trim line items. This seems sensible.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Yes. I think this actually helped me, early on in my kitchen "career," to understand the modular / component nature of cooking.

Cream cheese has nothing that cannot be done by chickpeas/hummus.

( Ok, actually it does, hummus doesn't have a WWI history of being made from recycled-from-the-front tallow by British Army official recyclers).

Last edited:

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Do they have bagels in Colorado? I mean, you know, bagels.
The Utah grocery stores sell a Wonder bread-like substance in the shape of a bagel :ogbiggrin:

I defer all recipe issues to my wife. She's a fine cook and during the pandemic upped her culinary game from black diamond to double black diamond!

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My recipe for 80% of what I cook is meat, vegetables, salt and pepper.

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
OMG, now I'm going to have to find that insane woman who posts videos of cooking things you've never thought of making. Strange combinations of ingredients. You keep watching because you can't imagine where this is going. And then you go through the Gateway to Hell ... when she puts a lid on the pan. Why is that the Gateway? Because that's the beginning of her tapping her nails on the lid ... time and time and time again. Tap, tap, tap, tap, tap. Tap, tap, tap, tap, tsp, tap.

I've never made it thru one of her videos.
You can find her on FB at Lily's Page. No scrolling required ... no Skip to Recipe. Just blessed videos.

Phelmut

German for Northeasterner
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Dear Internet Recipe Publishers,

1. You were obviously smoking crack when you wrote this. Did anyone actually TEST it?
  2. Please. Just give me the recipe. Don't explain why it's so important to world peace. Don't offer to build me a shopping list. I don't care about the antioxidants. Above all, do not make me watch a video.
  3. If you honestly think cream cheese has any place other than on top of a bagel, we're through, baby, we're through.
With an attitude like that we now know why that nice gentleman kicked you out of your room at the Gathering.:geek:

Sponsor

Staff online