• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Not a Reilly fan, other than enjoying watching HIS "technical skiing", which looks fun, and beautiful. His after the fact, after the results are in video commentary, not so much. This is not genius. This is not WC level coaching.These technical wizards are trying so hard to influence a number of athletes. I know a few young WC women who's coaches and federations have had to really strong arm these guys to stay away and NOT contact the athletes or their families. "But you don't understand! I can really help her!" The skiing that Reilly does is very pleasing to watch. I really is. I will not call out the other half dozen folks in that world by name. Fact is that I know a number of WC skiers who have had to "unlearn" what knowledge was imparted, as it looked beautiful, felt great, and timed DOG slow. And this is not a USST conversation, BTW.

Sorry if I offended his fans, or fans of the others. Just my opinion, and that of "a few" others.

Average Joe

Out on the slopes
Skier
Last year he did a few of these - they popped up on my YouTube. They were somewhat informative, and somewhat sideways.
Agreed, he's an accomplished instructor and freeskier but not a WC coach.

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
Agree, pretty skiing doesn’t equal fast.
Not suggesting he has WC insight as the coaches do, just some interesting observations that make sense on the basic level for most mortals. His Tessa video was primarily that and he didn’t overreach.

Certainly not the level of insight Miki’s old coach put up as analysis! That was super interesting.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
These technical wizards are trying so hard to influence a number of athletes. I know a few young WC women who's coaches and federations have had to really strong arm these guys to stay away and NOT contact the athletes or their families.
It's not any better everywhere else... unfortunately. Those demo team guys and ski teachers, who read all possible books existing have always so much to comment about racer's technique, and of course what all coaches teach them wrong. Because by the book you do it this way. I totally agree, by the book you do it that way, but this has nothing to do with "by the book skiing" or even nice looking skiing. It's about time and only about time, nothing else matters. Noone cares if you look like shi**t, as long as you finish first. Correction... noone cares if your skiing looks like shi**t, as I'm sure quite few ladies who go to start with makeup done would disagree with original statement :D

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Warner was having some fun behind the scenes.

Tom Holtmann

TomH
Skier
Not sure if there is some back story to these comments but the beginning of his video clearly states that his analysis is directed toward what skiers can take away from World Cup Ski racers in terms of their own freeskiing. I haven't looked back at his past analysis but taking the posted content at face value he certainly isn't trying to influence how World Cup Skiers should ski technique wise. However, if any posters with ski race coaching bonafides posted ski race type analysis I'm sure that would be interesting and useful as well.

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
It's not any better everywhere else... unfortunately. Those demo team guys and ski teachers, who read all possible books existing have always so much to comment about racer's technique, and of course what all coaches teach them wrong. Because by the book you do it this way. I totally agree, by the book you do it that way, but this has nothing to do with "by the book skiing" or even nice looking skiing. It's about time and only about time, nothing else matters. Noone cares if you look like shi**t, as long as you finish first. Correction... noone cares if your skiing looks like shi**t, as I'm sure quite few ladies who go to start with makeup done would disagree with original statement :D

Would be interesting to see one of those guys run the Sölden course against the women. See were they’d end up. Needless to say, I’m pretty sure they would get their behinds royally spanked even at a women’s Europa Cup GS. But they ski pretty. They win that competition.

Tom Holtmann

TomH
Skier
Would be interesting to see one of those guys run the Sölden course against the women. See were they’d end up. Needless to say, I’m pretty sure they would get their behinds royally spanked even at a women’s Europa Cup GS. But they ski pretty. They win that competition.
I'm sure it would cast the women racers abilities in a pretty good light. Be fun to see if some of their race coaches would get spanked as well ;)

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier

I'm sure it would cast the women racers abilities in a pretty good light. Be fun to see if some of their race coaches would get spanked as well ;)

Ha, I was anticipating this one. Yes they would be spanked... good point. Otoh it’s their ”ideas” at work out there in the course. So I imagine the humiliation would be an easier burden for them to carry ogsmile

Tom Holtmann

TomH
Skier
Ha, I was anticipating this one. Yes they would be spanked... good point. Otoh it’s their ”ideas” at work out there in the course. So I imagine the humiliation would be an easier burden for them to carry ogsmile
No doubt on everything you said. Coaching and doing are sometimes two different things.:ogcool:

Average Joe

Out on the slopes
Skier
Agree, pretty skiing doesn’t equal fast.
Not suggesting he has WC insight as the coaches do, just some interesting observations that make sense on the basic level for most mortals. His Tessa video was primarily that and he didn’t overreach.

Certainly not the level of insight Miki’s old coach put up as analysis! That was super interesting.
Interesting you mention that - I think Brendan Dyksterhouse was hired after he posted a YouTube analysis if MS training GS at Vail.
Of course, he was then (after a few seasons) fired after posting videos that the Team disliked....

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Interesting you mention that - I think Brendan Dyksterhouse was hired after he posted a YouTube analysis if MS training GS at Vail.
Of course, he was then (after a few seasons) fired after posting videos that the Team disliked....

Once again, I'm "fairly close to this one." That may be an understatement. RBD was doing a lot of work with Mikaela when he was the Athletic Director at SSCV, and she was home. At the request of her mother. A lot of that initial video was shot that first year. A you may recall, he joined her full time mid season, later on. The deal was that the USST reimbursed SSCV for his salary, and he remained a SSCV employee. At the end of her season, he joined the USST as the Head W's tech coach....aka Mikaela's coach.

He had posted video with his analysis and commentary of her training long before he began to coach her full time, and long before he joined the USST. He has also done a TON of video work {still does}, and has even coached a number of WC athletes virtually via video, working in concert with their coaches. When he was with her on tour, he began to release his "World Cup Diaries" videos, which were more fun than anything else. All good. No issues.

Dykster was not fired. His leaving had zero to do with "the team" disliking video that he posted. He had been the coach of the WC womens tech team. At the time it as more than just Mikaela. He had Resi, Lila Lapanja and Paula Moltzan. When Mikaela has on the shelf with her injury, he spent a lot of time with the others. Lila, in particular, and Paula made huge gains.

At the end of the season, in training once or twice, Mikaela was not skiing as well as she had in the season, and "rumor has it" that in more than a few timed training runs, she was not winning. This lead to Eileen Shiffrin going to Tiger and Rearick, demanding that Mikaela exclusively be coached by one coach, as she needed that focus. She presumed it would be Dykster. I have also heard that she snapped that things were not "fair" because he was using video of Mikaela to train and coach the others.....which as most know is pretty standard procedure. I heard that she made it seem like he was passing on trade secrets. At any rate, Dykster wanted no part of that circus. None. So he left. Dykster is always in demand, And, then the team convinced Mike Day to leave GMVS, and take on running what is Team MS, with the USST. He's the head coach, with one athlete,

But no, the team didn't fire Dykster. And I have never heard from anybody that they disliked any video being posted, etc.

I am also close to a guy who shot much of the initial video that D used in that analysis, and who assisted D quite a bit in working with her at Vail, Copper, Loveland in those years.

Big fan of Dykster's. Have been for decades. Just felt that I might help by weighing in.

I'm not getting into the Reilly, JB, HH, technical skiing thing any more. Done there.

I would say that their are no WC coaches that know of who could jump into a WC GS course and compete with the women. Some, when they were athletes, yes. You lose that fast, and work on the other stuff....like the coaching!

Average Joe

Out on the slopes
Skier
Muleski as always thanks for the insight.
It's a shame that Dykster and others of his caliber aren't at the top of the ussa/usst pyramid.

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
I don’t care what the sport is; it’s all about the killer instinct.
Some have it.
Others never will.

Ross Biff

The older I get, the faster I was....
Skier
Once again, I'm "fairly close to this one." That may be an understatement. RBD was doing a lot of work with Mikaela when he was the Athletic Director at SSCV, and she was home. At the request of her mother. A lot of that initial video was shot that first year. A you may recall, he joined her full time mid season, later on. The deal was that the USST reimbursed SSCV for his salary, and he remained a SSCV employee. At the end of her season, he joined the USST as the Head W's tech coach....aka Mikaela's coach.

He had posted video with his analysis and commentary of her training long before he began to coach her full time, and long before he joined the USST. He has also done a TON of video work {still does}, and has even coached a number of WC athletes virtually via video, working in concert with their coaches. When he was with her on tour, he began to release his "World Cup Diaries" videos, which were more fun than anything else. All good. No issues.

Dykster was not fired. His leaving had zero to do with "the team" disliking video that he posted. He had been the coach of the WC womens tech team. At the time it as more than just Mikaela. He had Resi, Lila Lapanja and Paula Moltzan. When Mikaela has on the shelf with her injury, he spent a lot of time with the others. Lila, in particular, and Paula made huge gains.

At the end of the season, in training once or twice, Mikaela was not skiing as well as she had in the season, and "rumor has it" that in more than a few timed training runs, she was not winning. This lead to Eileen Shiffrin going to Tiger and Rearick, demanding that Mikaela exclusively be coached by one coach, as she needed that focus. She presumed it would be Dykster. I have also heard that she snapped that things were not "fair" because he was using video of Mikaela to train and coach the others.....which as most know is pretty standard procedure. I heard that she made it seem like he was passing on trade secrets. At any rate, Dykster wanted no part of that circus. None. So he left. Dykster is always in demand, And, then the team convinced Mike Day to leave GMVS, and take on running what is Team MS, with the USST. He's the head coach, with one athlete,

But no, the team didn't fire Dykster. And I have never heard from anybody that they disliked any video being posted, etc.

I am also close to a guy who shot much of the initial video that D used in that analysis, and who assisted D quite a bit in working with her at Vail, Copper, Loveland in those years.

Big fan of Dykster's. Have been for decades. Just felt that I might help by weighing in.

I'm not getting into the Reilly, JB, HH, technical skiing thing any more. Done there.

I would say that their are no WC coaches that know of who could jump into a WC GS course and compete with the women. Some, when they were athletes, yes. You lose that fast, and work on the other stuff....like the coaching!
Circus is right! How would the other girls feel about being the meat in this unsavoury sandwich.?! This attitude would seem to be detrimental to any advances in skill by other racers and counter- productive in so many other ways! Thanks for this VERY enlightening insight.

Sponsor

Staff online