• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
https://www.grandvalira.com/en/fis-ski-world-cup-finals-andorra-2019

0FC183B2-0EF7-42DA-965B-796999EB3480.jpeg

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
Has anyone been to Andorra? It's always seemed like such an odd place for finals.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Well, both DH's are done, and the globes awarded for both men and women. Watched both this AM.

Always strange at WCF's with such a small field, made even smaller this year by the recent injuries. Just 21 women and 22 guys.

Not sure if people want to be using the spoiler feature. I hope not, in 2019. Really.

But in case they do, no surprise on the women's side. It was all but locked up. The Globe winner coasted to an 11th place finish and won the globe. Austrian women 1-2-3 in the globe standings, and two other Austrian women 1st and 5th in today's race. Yes, the Austrian women's team is deep and loaded. No Americans in the WCF DH. Tough year.

The men's race. No surprise to me in terms of the winner. He has been on fire. Despite not winning the overall, he has had a great season. The overall leader would have had to have a disastrous day to lose the globe, and he, too, sort of cruised to his 6th place finish and 40 points. Backing it down is harder for him and he tends to just send it every race, every run. Glad to see him with the globe. Also glad to see he winner today. USST had three guys qualify for WCF DH, pretty unremarkable days for Nyman and Bennett. Better day for Ganong.

Tomorrow we see the SG's. Big day for MS, who is leading by 32 points over Tina Weirather. Schmidhofer is 47 points back. And the other two in the top five are out with injury. Gut was too far back, anyways. Going to take a lot for Weirather or Schmidhofer to take it. Assuming that Nicole is raiding a pretty strong high right now. I'd bet the farm on MS/

Men? Paris has a 44 point lead. He is absolutely on top of his game. I can't see him losing this. He is going podium, at the least. Big guy wins the globe, IMO. 3rd place locks it up.

And MS....what do we think 2200+ points at the end? Quite a season.

Hirscher? I'd watch both of his races as they could be his last ones, "could" be....Has all three of his globes locked up, but I think he'll be going for it, pedal down. Eight overall globes in a row. That will never happen again, or I can't imagine it. He has long said that he would not be doing this past the age of 30. His 30th birthday was a week or so ago.

WCF's are a lot more interesting when there are globes to be decided at the event, IMO.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
In Kranjska Gora Hirscher looked tired, and not really comfortable on that soft snow, especially on GS, but as he's not quite sure yet what he will do, I agree he's going for winning both GS and SL, as if these will be his last races, I'm sure he wants to go out victorious.... tired or not tired.
Women GS... on any other day, and with any other racer in chase, I would say Shiffrin would have issues defending those 32 points, but tomorrow, I'm pretty sure she has the globe. I just don't see Weirather geting those 32 points extra tomorrow. And for Shmidhofer, I would say it's gonna be success if she will be standing sort of normal on start tomorrow :D

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
According to Wikipedia, Mikaela currently has 1954 points which is a 719 point lead for the overall title.

What's the record for most points or biggest margin of victory in the overall title chase?

Muleski

Inactive
Why don't we look at the FIS site instead of Wiki, for points. Just a thought.....

The record, which I thought anybody on this site would be aware of is Tina Maze, 2414, in 2013. Previous record was Hermann Maier at 2000 points. In that 2013 season, there were a few speed event cancellations, which Maze would have been favored to win or at least podium. I think she finished about 1300 points ahead.

It's the only year that she won the Overall, or ANY other globes. She now says, frequently, that the season beat the daylights out of her in many ways. Skied two more seasons and retired.

As Mike Day, MS's coach, has said a number of times, racing five events, and chasing that "record" is a sure fired way to any early retirement.

Lots of ways to look at MS's season. Tremendous, to be sure. Well managed, as she is both emotionally and physically healthy. It also speaks, a bit, to the strength and or relative depth of this field.

Not taking a thing away from her. She is amazing. And back to the topic. She may well win three races at WCF's and walk away with three discipline globes.

Pretty great stuff.

Muleski

Inactive
Hirscher did look very done in KG. This season is over.

He was, I hear, pretty fried, not feeling great and he HATED the surface, the weather, the works. Not in a good frame of mind. Just "cooked."

The question to me is whether he's simply had enough. Eight consecutive overalls? He first told a friend of mine 5 seasons ago that he would not be doing this by the time he was 30. Well, his only two races as a thirty year old sucked. SUCKED for him. I'm thinking more and more that he puts on a show at WCF's, crushes two wins, and shortly thereafter calls it a career. Nothing left to prove. To himself or anybody else.

And the "Stenmark Record" means nothing to him. At all. That was a long time ago. Plus, if MS stays healthy and races through 2022 {which seems logical}, it will be the MS record, right? And if she decides to keep going......with this field....yeah, who knows what the number will be?

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Yes, agree on it all of the thoughts, and especially on this one. Green face is the right color! Some celebrating going to going on, or is going on. haha!

Why? What’s up with Schmidhofer?

Muleski

Inactive
Why? What’s up with Schmidhofer?

Have you seen today's results? Probably a bit of Austrian celebrating is my guess, and I assume that of Primoz and Swede.

Since she pretty much has to win tomorrow, and hope that MS is off the podium, that may be a "big ask" after today and presumably tonight's events. Just a hunch. Particularly since the general assumption is that MS will stay undefeated in SG.

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Have you seen today's results?

Oh. Not a good sign. Maybe she’s saving herself for tomorrow :)

I don’t know what the points were before the race. But, do you think they actually operate as a team? Her teammates go all out to keep contenders from overtaking Schmidhofer for the DH title, so she can pull back and be fresher tomorrow?

James

Out There
Instructor
I see Carlo Janka finished 9th, 0.75 back, just ahead of Travis Ganong.
Will Janka retire? He'll be 33 start of next season.

Muleski

Inactive
Not. good sign? SHE WON THE DOWNHILL GLOBE!!!!

AND, she and her teammates went 1-2-3 in the season standings. PLUS, two OTHER Austrian women finished 1-5 in today's race.

It doesn't get much better than that. I assume, having been to a few events over the past 50+ years that there will be celebrating going on.

If if not by Nicole, she is likely emotionally pretty beat after today, and I believe that the thought is that she's not going to rise to the occasion tomorrow in the SG.

As far as your team theory.....No. That's nonsense. Sorry to be so frank. The fact is that the Austrian women are loaded. Yep. Watch their A and B teams train SL or GS. They all look the same, ski the same, and are almost interchangeable. And there are about a dozen or more of them. As a side note, I think they could stand to eat a few more cheeseburgers......

Muleski

Inactive
Wow, Bryce Bennett finished 7th overall in dh? Not bad.

Very good. Bryce is just "hitting his stride." He's 27, and he has now got a lot of experience on all of the WC tour spots and the tracks. He's become very consistent. 4th at Bormio, 5th at Wengen, 9th at Are. 9th at BoP. Other than today {21st} his lowest DH finish was inside the top 15. That's good skiing. Kudo's to Johnno McBride, the head DH coach for coming back and working with Bryce over the past two years. Kudo's to Steven Nyman for mentoring and "player/coaching" him. He's now is a position to be getting VERY fast skis from Fischer, and this past season Fischer speed skis have really shown jets. Much faster for whatever reason. Could be a lot of factors.

Bryce is a big part of the USST future. So is RCS {same age as Bryce}. The other USST guys at WCF's are on the back nine, or on the fence. Tommy Ford is not some new found wonder, so I swear that some of the ski press treats him that way. He is 30, and has been in the team system for 12-13 years. Travis Ganong is 31, same thing. Has had some moments of brilliance {like two WC DH wins}, and some not so bright. Ligety will soon be 35, Nyman, I think is 37. And both have a lot of miles, surgeries and pains on those bodies. I hear that Nyman is a great mentor to the younger speed guys, who are a team. Ligety, likewise, has been a big influence on RCS.

Bryce is fun to watch and should be, moving forward, a very legit podium threat in DH. Has some work to do with his SG. RCS may prove to be a better SG skier, eventually. Bryce is a big guy. Can create a lot of angles. We have some younger speed guys who should be come very competitive as well. In time.

We only have six guys at WCF's. Bryce, Ganong and Nyman in the DH. Ganong and RCS is SG, Ligety and Ford in GS. None in SL.

Doesn't seem like many, until you look at MS, our ONLY female.

Yeah......don't look for the USA is the team event! hopefully this is the bottom of the crater, and nowhere but up. There has been NO posting on the subject, but we had a good showing at World Juniors. As we have in recent years. This years star, and a guy who is absolutely THE future of the USST was River Radamus. He is the real deal. Good genes, too.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
Will Janka retire? He'll be 33 start of next season.
That's up to his guru ;) Most likely he won't, but not even people closest to him, and few are really good friends of mine, know this for sure. 33 might look old for top athlete, but for downhiller that's not really that old at all. But it does feel like Carlo is around for ages, but thing is, he came to WC real young.

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier
Thanks everyone (once again) for all the info. Good powder skiing almost all month in Northern Idaho but today Spring is here. Sad to see the WC racing and skiing itself face spring and the eventual end of a great year.

TS
4ster

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Nice to see Rebensburg on the podium.

How big & badass could Bryce Bennett be if he ate some more cheeseburgers !

Schmidhofer May be partying tonight but I bet Shiffrin celebrated her 24th dancing...
in the gym.

99286BAE-49AA-4160-8A6E-C04BE06685D5.jpeg

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online