• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
Ah ok that makes sense. Yes normally it's this way or side slipping, depending how steep it gets :) I believe for some, or actually for most of them, it's not easiest thing they did on skis. Majority of slippers are local ski instructors, and no matter what someone might think, majority of ski instructors are not best skiers you can find on hill. Not to mention apart from that weekend when they work as slippers, they pretty much never ever come anywhere close to injected courses. And if conditions are right, that injected snow can be really bad, sometimes even for people that are used to it and are on it on daily basis. So yeah I have seen few terrified slippers during all these years on courses. Well honestly, there were few times, I was scared to get down the course myself, and my skis are prepared way better then skis of any slipper. So yeah on steep sections and with right conditions, it's definitely not easy or fun thing to do.

James

Out There
Instructor
Majority of slippers are local ski instructors, and no matter what someone might think, majority of ski instructors are not best skiers you can find on hill.
Lol. Yes.

I guess the question is, you're going maybe 10-15 km/h putting down the blue dye and the racers are going 100+ km/h. Yet, in general it seems to work. Though Andorra Women's Super g they were going inside the line quite often in one area.

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Thomas Fanara made his farewell in today’s GS. Could have been a better ending.
1st about to end. Races have moved to a new hill for tech.
SL for ladies. Pretty steep section.

Last edited:

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
I guess the question is, you're going maybe 10-15 km/h putting down the blue dye and the racers are going 100+ km/h.
Thing is, sometimes it's easier to go down 100km/h then side slipping ;) This year Kitzbuehel SL was one of those days. Pretty much all racers said it was cool snow with enough grip, but when I was going down during inspection, I could just sort of navigate not to hit someone, but there was simply no way to stop when side slipping. It was pure ice, no snow at all. But with side slipping you can't really press ski, so in conditions like this you are just passenger, while when you have some speed speed, you can press ski and edges grip into this ice.
But either way, even when conditions are easy, doing those lines is not best job you could get. If nothing else you and most of your equipment are all blue on the end :D

James

Out There
Instructor
Thing is, sometimes it's easier to go down 100km/h then side slipping ;) This year Kitzbuehel SL was one of those days. Pretty much all racers said it was cool snow with enough grip, but when I was going down during inspection, I could just sort of navigate not to hit someone, but there was simply no way to stop when side slipping. It was pure ice, no snow at all. But with side slipping you can't really press ski, so in conditions like this you are just passenger, while when you have some speed speed, you can press ski and edges grip into this ice.
Yeah the guy I know who did it at Birds of Prey said he talked to some of the athletes and they'd much prefer to race it then slip it. Felt safer. I suppose that's true to a point you're really going for it.

Alice Robinson, NZ is 3rd after 1st run. Didn't she ski for a New England college?

Last edited:

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
OMG, who is Alice Robinson? First podium? 17? 18 years old? Nice job.

She has been discussed here on and off for the last seasons. Stand out JR that seemingly have managed to take the (big) step to the senior world. 17/18 season and build up for this season key to what she’s doing now. Will be interesting to follow her.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Alice attended Sugar Bowl Academy for a couple of years, through her U16 years, then a year ago In her first FIS season started her season in NZ and Aus {August 2017}.
Evidently a very hardworking kid with a tremendous amount of talent and a great attitude. I have heard her described by a couple of her former coaches as just fearless.

Have also heard that her upside is huge. In her last U16 year, she made some big gains, and when she raced in those big European events, it became clear that she was the fastest 2001 in GS. As Swede mentioned, she has made a very tough transition look smooth. Has fine well in Continental Cups, Europa Cups and on the WC. I expect she’s there to stay.

For those who think that birthdays matter...not in her case. She turned 17 in December. Phenom. I think we’ll see her racing GS and SG next season. SL, not so much. Eventually DH.

Fun to watch. Great to see.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
...who's responsible for making the blue course lines? Do they do it by just wedging down? Would seem pretty difficult on injected speed courses.

I could swear I saw a good video of the lines being painted, but I can't find it now. This one has a couple of quick shots :

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
What year were the blue lines first used?

TS
4ster

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
What year were the blue lines first used?
I don’t know for sure but I’m thinking sometime in the mid 90s. At first I think they only used it when there were flat light conditions.

I haven’t watch the men’s 2nd run of GS yet but in today’s slalom it sure looks like Hirscher is skiing uncharacteristicly off his tails.
I think maybe he & Feller accidentally switched boots ogwink .

James

Out There
Instructor
I haven't seen the men's gs, Olympic channel has once again flailed with on demand. Says men's gs and it's the juniors.
Watching some of it, interestingly they had a quick shot of a guy laying down the blue corridor line. Sprays it along the side of one ski which is straight ahead, the other in a wedge.

What is up with the courses? Piles of snow all over the place. Almost looked like it was set on a trail with some moguls on it. I guess recent fresh snow, but wow not like one is used to seeing.
IMG_6113.PNG

Link: youtube.com/watch?v=01dlXk98Pp4

Ivan

Out on the slopes
Skier
A pretty impressive result from Clement Noel. This is his first full season on the WC (he jumped between the WC and EC last season, and also competed in the junior worlds), and he got 3 wins and finished 2nd in slalom standings behind Hirscher. I hope he continues skiing well and improves even more next season. He seems to have everything to become the next big star in men's slalom.

TS
4ster

4ster

Instructor
A pretty impressive result from Clement Noel. This is his first full season on the WC (he jumped between the WC and EC last season, and also competed in the junior worlds), and he got 3 wins and finished 2nd in slalom standings behind Hirscher. I hope he continues skiing well and improves even more next season. He seems to have everything to become the next big star in men's slalom.
Yeah, the guy rips! Skis like I expect the next generation to ski.

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Alice attended Sugar Bowl Academy for a couple of years, through her U16 years, then a year ago In her first FIS season started her season in NZ and Aus {August 2017}.
Evidently a very hardworking kid with a tremendous amount of talent and a great attitude. I have heard her described by a couple of her former coaches as just fearless.

Have also heard that her upside is huge. In her last U16 year, she made some big gains, and when she raced in those big European events, it became clear that she was the fastest 2001 in GS. As Swede mentioned, she has made a very tough transition look smooth. Has fine well in Continental Cups, Europa Cups and on the WC. I expect she’s there to stay.

For those who think that birthdays matter...not in her case. She turned 17 in December. Phenom. I think we’ll see her racing GS and SG next season. SL, not so much. Eventually DH.

Fun to watch. Great to see.

Good post.
Yes, just as @Muleski mentions, the step from being a JR Worldchamp to being a solid WC skier is huge. It is n o t easy and most outstanding young skiers never make it. There ’s another young skier, italian L D Mea, who knocked the socks of the jr competition in Europe. Also on the doorstep and has made a few WC starts. Having absolutely no insight there, but does she have the work ethics of Mrs Robinson?

TS
4ster

4ster

Instructor
Long skiers seams to be in fashion. Would like to see Popov next to Noel or Ramon Z.
Not sure how tall Daniel Yule is but he seems to fit the mold as well.

Sponsor