• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Lifer

Putting on skis
Skier
The first section is the same track. At 15 seconds in, the line (and airtime), yes is clearly different. After 25-27 seconds, the track is identical to the finish.
Check it out - side by side - NBC Gold or wherever. Just sayin'. My statement that the track was Identical for the boys and girls was incorrect - for 12 seconds.

Ivan

Out on the slopes
Skier
I was never in Andorra, but years ago I was in nearby Spanish resort, and no matter how it might sound (as people don't really equal Spain with skiing), skiing conditions and terrain around there is actually pretty awesome. For Andorra I heard just good things, as tourism (and duty free zone) is only thing that runs there money. So I heard ski resorts are great and skiing is good, even though I heard winter this year is sort of same as we have/had here... shitty.
Just my two cents: Andorra is a very popular ski destination among Russians. Russia is not a particularly rich country, so many people who want to go skiing somewhere are looking for a budget option, and Andorra seems to be a very good value proposition. Decent skiing at lower prices than "big" destination like Austria, Switzerland, Italy, or France. I (or anyone in my family) have never been to Andorra though.

NZRob

Skiing the Rock
Skier
@NZRob main thing is time left for conditioning. 10 or 15 years ago, everyone started skiing by the end of August or something like this. Today, normal thing on WC is to ski somewhere till May or even a bit longer if possible, then you take some time off, and you start skiing again on beginning of July. And once you are on snow, you have not much chance to get basic conditioning through. Snow trainings require different stuff then plain endurance tranings. Sure time in gym on afternoon is one thing, but if you want to be fresh on snow in morning, you can't afford much on afternoon. Today guys can push heavier weight on bench press then they did 10 years ago, but unfortunately kilos on bench press doesn't bring what you need in last few turns of Wengen DH. And with all this pushing for as many as possible snow days, you lose time for basic conditioning. And we will skip "advances in nutrition" when we are talking about alpine skiers, ok? :D

Thanks, that's really interesting, and something I hadn't thought about. And of course lack of conditioning being a major correlation to more frequent injury.

Re the nutrition, reminds me of cyclings Vittoria Bussi beating the hour world record last year, the day after eating a bad mexican pizza for dinner.

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier
Just my two cents: Andorra is a very popular ski destination among Russians. Russia is not a particularly rich country, so many people who want to go skiing somewhere are looking for a budget option, and Andorra seems to be a very good value proposition. Decent skiing at lower prices than "big" destination like Austria, Switzerland, Italy, or France. I (or anyone in my family) have never been to Andorra though.[/QUOTE

Ivan, sort of like Northern Idaho 40 and 50 dollar lift ticket, $3.00 craft beer, good snow and friendly people.

TS
4ster

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
& there is Rebensburg again
8B8034F9-D01D-4EC7-9EE4-1FBB81AF4EB9.jpeg

Congrats to the globalists
AE3036B3-22B1-46A3-96A5-EB65DF17B808.jpeg

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Just my two cents: Andorra is a very popular ski destination among Russians. Russia is not a particularly rich country, so many people who want to go skiing somewhere are looking for a budget option, and Andorra seems to be a very good value proposition. Decent skiing at lower prices than "big" destination like Austria, Switzerland, Italy, or France. I (or anyone in my family) have never been to Andorra though.

Agree, there are very good skiing in the Pyrenées. Both in Spain and on the French side. Good alternative to the alps if you've been there done that (haven't been to Andorra thou). And when in Spain ... there's also the OG Sierra Nevada. Close to Malaga. Surpisingly good skiing I hear, never been there myself.

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Sweden-Switzerland (that'll be confusing for the less geographically versed) already in the 1/4 team event again!

newfydog

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Hey, I once drove halfway to Slovenia trying to get to Slovakia. The signs out of Vienna read SLO, seemed to be the way.

James

Out There
Instructor
Imagine it would be Slovakia vs. Slovenia :roflmao: Someone might file official complain with FIS why one country can compete against themself and have guaranteed advance into next round :roflmao:
Wouldn't that be Slovakia vs Czech Republic?
Speaking of which, are we now to call it "Czechia"??
Apparently this happened 3 years ago, but due to the time UPS takes to get a package out of Eastern Europe we're just finding out about it. ogwink

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
@newfydog hahaha really? :) SLO is for Slovenia, SVK is for Slovakia, but yeah we are always getting mixed. For skiing it's a bit easier... Vlhova is Slovakia, Stuhec is Slovenia :)
@James some 30 years ago there were 2 countries. One was Yugoslavia, and the other was Czechoslovakia. Then Czechoslovakia split to Czech republic and Slovakia. Yugoslavia more or less peacefully split to Slovenia (relatively peacefully), Croatia (not even close to peacefully), Bosnia and Herzegovina (where all hell broke loose), Serbia (who made sure that all hell broke loose in Bosnia and Croatia, and that we had something called "war" for 10 days in Slovenia), Macedonia and Montenegro.
But what I wanted to say with my previous post, is that most of people mix Slovenia and Slovakia or in worse case they even think that's same country. So I was joking that if Slovenia would be skiing against Slovakia, someone might think same country is trying to eliminate same country, sort of like Austria skiing against Austria. Just joke, nothing more :)

James

Out There
Instructor
Maybe they should get more creative with their flags?

IMG_6094.PNG

Serbia

IMG_6095.PNG

Slovakia

IMG_6096.PNG

Slovenia

IMG_6097.PNG

Croatia

Hey @Primoz , who's responsible for making the blue course lines? Do they do it by just wedging down? Would seem pretty difficult on injected speed courses.

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
A good course dye guy is responsible. Need to be a good skier (pack is not light). And most important know what they are doing as it’s VERY hard to “undo” a bad line.....and the world can see you messed up!

Side lines are not too hard, the ones at the gate are a bit trickier!

No rocket science, normally done daily by coaches for our courses here.

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
A good course dye guy is responsible. Need to be a good skier (pack is not light). And most important know what they are doing as it’s VERY hard to “undo” a bad line.....and the world can see you messed up!

Side lines are not too hard, the ones at the gate are a bit trickier!

No rocket science, normally done daily by coaches for our courses here.

I think James was thinking about one of the steeper hills on the men’s WC—prepared the hard way with 600-700 kgs water per qubicmetre. Most skiers wouldn’t be able to skid down.

upload_2019-3-15_19-21-9.jpeg

Last edited:

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
Hey @Primoz , who's responsible for making the blue course lines? Do they do it by just wedging down? Would seem pretty difficult on injected speed courses.
Wedging down would mean what? Sorry sometimes my English is just not enough. Otherwise for WC races, there are guys from local organization that do this. For side lines they do it on their own, for lines marking bumps, jumps and compressions (that go 90 degree on race track) it's normally Trinkl or Vuillet (FIS speed assistant race directors) who tell where lines should be. It's not really rocket science, but it's a bit harder for these lines that mark bumps and jumps, as they go over race line, and you want to keep number of those on minimum as everyone are bitching about them, as it really slows you down when you ski over. But in diffuse light they are only orientation what to expect, so you need some experiences to find compromise between painting race track blue and keeping it fast :)
As for flags... I totally agree with you. Add Russian flag and it's great to mix us all with Russia. Slovenian and Slovakian flags are totally identical except for coat of arms that are different (not all that visible when flags are small), and Russian is same, just without coat of arms on it. I agree guys designing them had great imagination :D

James

Out There
Instructor
Wedging down would mean what?
Chasse neige in French.

What everyone except 1st and 4th guys from left are doing on the Birds of Prey here. 1 and 4 are "side slipping" eceryone else is "wedging" , ("pizza" for kids), or the older term is "snowplowing". Snowplowing was a bigger wedge.
IMG_6098.JPG

I knew someone who worked as a skipper on an injected Birds of Prey course. He said it was the scariest thing he's done on skis.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
  • Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
  • Philpug
    Notorious P.U.G.