• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Buffets batting avg is about .250 the last 5 years. Last good season was 2009.

Back to skiing 20/21 i have a feeling that entry into busy areas (ski area, mall, stadium, maybe schools) will be allowed only to those with the tracking app installed. So it wont be a privacy invasion because you choose to install it to allow entry to places you want to visit.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier

Back to skiing 20/21 i have a feeling that entry into busy areas (ski area, mall, stadium, maybe schools) will be allowed only to those with the tracking app installed. So it wont be a privacy invasion because you choose to install it to allow entry to places you want to visit.
And then you turn it off the second you are past the entrance. Not always a given that your smartphone battery survives a day out on the mountain or anywhere else. Also, what about children too young to carry smart phones? Last time I checked, older teens can have them but are not allowed to use them during classes except during certain approved exercises

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I think that was the year that investing stopped making a lot of sense... I'm not even sure how to value stocks anymore..P to E is irrelevant..it only makes sense to buy what the Fed is inflating.. Maybe Warren missed that boat..it's possible.

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I think that was the year that investing stopped making a lot of sense... I'm not even sure how to value stocks anymore..P to E is irrelevant..it only makes sense to buy what the Fed is inflating.. Maybe Warren missed that boat..it's possible.
Warren's been missing the technology boat for a while (until his recent buy of Apple).
Most of the DJIA gains of the last 15 years have been in tech, not traditional value plays.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Okay so ... ski areas ...

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier

jmills115

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
As I was walking uphill at Alta today I had a brief conversation with a US Ski Team coach. He mentioned they are in negotiations to start training at Alta within a few weeks and he was there checking things out.
He said they would be running a lift for them which I’m sure would upset many people.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
And then you turn it off the second you are past the entrance. Not always a given that your smartphone battery survives a day out on the mountain or anywhere else. Also, what about children too young to carry smart phones? Last time I checked, older teens can have them but are not allowed to use them during classes except during certain approved exercises
I think you missed his point, or I did.

I was assuming he meant a tracking app to show overall where you were.... so as long as it registers that you went to the ski resort, and that would be enough. I don't think there would be any use to actually know where you went on the mountain. (Or rather, any use would be a much more sophisticated and data-processing-necessary system than I think is feasible.)

MarkP

Saturday, and Saturday, and Saturday...
Skier

Don't Fight the Fed and Run With the Tax Cuts seem to have dominated for over a decade. Cheap money has to go somewhere.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

Bill Miles

Old Man Groomer Zoomer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
That will be interesting to watch and see what restrictions or measures they put in place. How much late spring skiers do those places typically see?

I am not packing the car yet until I find out a few more details.
Bachelor usually goes to memorial day.
Timberline goes all summer on a snowfield on top, mostly race camps with one public lane.
Neither real busy. I have gone to Bachelor in late April and May quite a bit, went to Timberline in early June about four years ago and was not impressed.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I am not packing the car yet until I find out a few more details.
Bachelor usually goes to memorial day.
Timberline goes all summer on a snowfield on top, mostly race camps with one public lane.
Neither real busy. I have gone to Bachelor in late April and May quite a bit, went to Timberline in early June about four years ago and was not impressed.

I have been to Timberline in July and another time on Labour Day weekend. I remember telling my buddy that it is a good thing it is summer because skiing the same boring featureless intermediate run in mid winter would not cut it. When driving up from nearby town of Rhododendron you can see a rectangular patch of snow up on the mountain that looks like a postage stamp--that is the summer ski area.

On my July trip to Timberline at Mt Hood, I had my canoe with me and went skiing in the morning and canoe sailing in the afternoon at the Columbia River Gorge which is one of the prime wind surfer spots on the west coast. It was a wild ride in a canoe and it kept me busy. I actually lost my spare paddle out of the canoe without even realizing it. The paddle washed ashore and some people found it, knew it was mine and returned it to me as I was the only crazy guy in a canoe within miles of the river.

Last edited:

Bill Miles

Old Man Groomer Zoomer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Did you have access to any of the salted lanes? 'Coz that is FUN.
The race camps had not started yet, so we had access to all of Palmer, but either they were not salting or it didn't work very well, because it got real sloppy real fast. Magic Mile and Stormin Norman were still open.

Tony

tseeb
Skier
Did you have access to any of the salted lanes? 'Coz that is FUN.
I had access to salted lanes on 8/28/18 (they closed a few days later) and skied over 20K vertical before noon.
See https://www.firsttracksonline.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12703

This is from today and in the mainstream media, but not much new here to most of us:

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
I'm responding directly to the thread title question -- will ski areas be open? If making a profit is iffy, then maybe they won't be open.

At the three mountains where I've worked as an instructor, the bulk of the revenue coming in from the ski schools comes from the children's programs. Many skiers (on weekends at some areas, most) come to ski areas to ski with a family. Parents bring children, and if the kids are young the parents put them in half-day or all-day programs. The daily cost to put a kid in one of those programs can be a lot of $.

Those kids sit in very close proximity to each other inside the children's area after being dropped off, eat close together in the children's area, go to the bathroom in the children's area, and take hot chocolate breaks in the children's area. Next school year, parents may be willing to trust their children to the teachers and schools they already have a relationship with back home. But will they be willing to trust their children to the care of a mountain's children's program next season?

If they aren't, those parents with young kids probably won't come ski. Will the lost revenue from the empty kid's programs be significant enough to mean opening the mountain will result in losing money? Add to that the loss of food sales from all the skiers who choose to avoid the lodge and the cafeteria. Those two bring in a tremendous amount of money. What will management choose to do if that total plummets dramatically?

I don't have industry figures that show how important incoming money from kids' programs and food sales is to the profit margins of this business. But I expect it is a big chunk of what the mountain takes in.

Does anyone reading here have some numbers regarding this issue?

Last edited:

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I think you missed his point, or I did.

I was assuming he meant a tracking app to show overall where you were.... so as long as it registers that you went to the ski resort, and that would be enough. I don't think there would be any use to actually know where you went on the mountain. (Or rather, any use would be a much more sophisticated and data-processing-necessary system than I think is feasible.)
The app I saw them talking about, the one Google and Apple are working in, will ping the phones of everyone within 10 feet of you via bluetooth and collect and analyze that data. If someone tests positive, they mine the data to alert everyone else they interacted with over the past (?) days. So, it will be tracking rides the lift with whom, who sits in the lodge next to whom, etc..

Sponsor

Staff online

• Philpug
    Notorious P.U.G.
  • Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
  • Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid