• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

clong83

Stauffenberg!
Skier
I already bought my season pass at my local mountain knowing full well that this year might be a bust. I just wanted to financially support them through this rough time. I'd encourage all who are able to do the same and not hedge and wait to see what might happen. If passes go on sale for your favorite mountain and you are fortunate enough to be in a position to buy one, buy one.

I don't know if the resorts will open up in the same way and I wouldn't believe anyone who said they had an answer. I will say this: Even if a miracle occurs and a vaccine has been developed and deployed by late November, I believe the economic impacts will certainly be felt harshly in the ski industry. There will be fewer ski vacations and less money spent on food/drinks/gear.

Fortunately, many skiers wear facial coverings anyways, so it would hopefully be a less controversial thing if resorts required it. It is otherwise a mostly solo sport, and it is outdoors, so it has that going for it. I ski with friends as often as anyone, but I'm not usually hopping moguls within 10 feet of anyone. Not if I can help it anyways. The primary issues if places try to open are going to be the lifts/liftlines and the food service.

Even if things are relatively open, I'd expect the same sort of questionnaires that they now have at the dentist's office and such when you buy a daypass or park your car in the lot. Have you had any symptoms, have you had any known contact with a patient, is anyone in your household waiting on testing results, etc. My wife is an ICU nurse, so even if things are like that I would probably be disallowed, just as I currently am from sending my kids to daycare or going into the office in person. It might sadly be a year to lean heavily on my touring setup. I truly hope we can have this mess under a modicum of control by December, but having witnessed the last three months I am not optimistic.

clong83

Stauffenberg!
Skier
The very idea of anybody knowingly, with an active virus, breaking quarantine and going out into the population spreading this life taking disease is preposterous and akin to manslaughter. Unfortunately there are ultra selfish people who would do this very thing!
There was a woman in New Mexico last month who knowingly had the virus but refused to stay at home. She went into a store, announced loudly she had the virus, and then refused to leave. I will trust an individual that I know to be sane and not knowingly spread a potentially deadly disease. I would not trust the general population by and large to do the right thing for one second.

edit: Providing link: https://durangoherald.com/articles/325428

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Article on how ski areas may operate 2021

“Lowest risk is coming down the mountain,” he said. “Even if you bump into somebody, crash into someone, it’s fine.” (At least from a COVID-19 perspective, if not an orthopedic one.)

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
As much as I am pulling for a vaccine, I do not expect it to come fast enough to significantly impact the 20/21 season. Even under the most optimistic predictions i.e. proof of a successful vaccine by late in the year, the manufacturing, processing and distribution logistics are such that I wouldn't expect serious improvement nation wide until next summer. Hope I'm wrong, but ....

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
I think that effective therapeutics are more likely than a vaccine. There are some promising things, like the pill developed in Israel that stops the virus from replicating and turns it into a minor illness.

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
My home area was one of the last to close. They instituted the policy of,' ride the lift with who you drove with'. That worked pretty well. If you think about 6 6 social distancing 2 people on a quad would actually be pretty close. Same could be said for tip to tail for in the line.
Suspect you will still see a reduction in skier days, that areas won't like much, but open. Could well see more 5 day a week schedules at the local hills to help compensate for the cost vs. revenue issues.

I,m real currious how they will handle food services?

Food trucks or trailers in the parking lots or on the side of outside decks.

après time in our lodge here is as much of the experience as the skiing for me so I’m going to really miss that this season but our tailgating game is gonna be fire. As the lodge prices have increased we’ve developed quite the tailgating scene here, it’s really pretty darn fun!

kimberlin

Getting on the lift
Skier
Food trucks or trailers in the parking lots or on the side of outside decks.

après time in our lodge here is as much of the experience as the skiing for me so I’m going to really miss that this season but our tailgating game is gonna be fire. As the lodge prices have increased we’ve developed quite the tailgating scene here, it’s really pretty darn fun!
Well then, I definitely must meet the local gang. When season starts let's arrange a date !

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
I think that effective therapeutics are more likely than a vaccine. There are some promising things, like the pill developed in Israel that stops the virus from replicating and turns it into a minor illness.
All eggs are in one basket.
Fed's unfortunately pulled much of the money from therapeutics and put it into vaccine development.

kimberlin

Getting on the lift
Skier
Ok, I'm clueless. What is Abysinnia? Is that a beer created from the hops fertilized by Abyssinian cats? Or brewed by naughty nuns in the Abyss root cellar ?

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier

Intriguing; got a reference/link?

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled

Sponsor

Staff online